News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Turning Racing into a Career

Started by Braincrater, July 30, 2008, 12:54:25 PM

Braincrater

So as the title says I am wanting to turn racing into a career... I am currently still in school for mechanical engineering and my goal is to either be good enough to end up racing as a career or be a chief mechanic on a race team.. Seeing as how I am still on a college budget I cant get to the track but once a month so seat time is limited... so are tires! I am looking at getting my race license this year and possibly racing next season...

I have been reading up on sponsorship and what not but it is still going to take massive amounts of money and time, which I am VERY willing to do, to keep things rolling. Anyways, if any of you guys that race can give me words of wisdom on how I can get my name out there and tips of moving up the ladder. I am willing to volunteer for pit help even if it means sweeping the pit out! lol but yeah basically I will do anything for this to happen.

Xian_13

CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Braincrater

lol, that would definitely be the ideal situation but seeing as how lately I cant even have sex for free, I highly doubt that some rich woman will pay for it!

123user

You could also try the lottery... I hear that works.  I'm also a ME and had this fantasy at one time.  Remember that you'd be working for someone elses team, pursuing other people's dreams.  I think its more fun to have a regular-joe job and use your free time to build experimental machinery.  But if I haven't crushed your dreams yet, look into endurance racing... specifically WERA edurance.  Most teams always need another hand.

spyderchick

Step 1: have mad riding skillz.

Step 2: Max out CCs

Step 3: Use skillz and CCs to get #1 plate.

Step 4: Leverage #1 plate into sweet deal so you can race the following season.

Repeat steps 1-4 as necessary.

See? Simple.

Seriously, don't expect to make money in racing unless you have a unique skill or have mad skillz in something racers needs.
(Leather repair is covered, thank you very much)
Hang around the track enough and you can find a niche.
Good luck!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

truckstop

Quote from: Xian_13 on July 30, 2008, 01:22:18 PM
Marry a rich woman.

XIII

:lmao:

You really screwed that one up didn't you.

Braincrater

lol...  I guess my goal goes like this; I want to ride for a living but if I dont have what it takes then I will be perfectly happy with being a chief mechanic. So that being said I need to push to ride, I am not going to just settle for mechanic as of now...

I just know that the main thing I need to do is to get my name out there and that equates to being at the track either riding or talking to people...

And honestly I know that most amateur racers dont make jack for an income but it is something they love... some make it to the big time and others dont... I feel that as long as I am doing something I love, the money side of things will work itself out.. I know that I could get my degree and sit in an office all day and make 100k+ buts thats not me, I already have an office job and I hate every second of it even tho it pays good.. I get a good hourly rate and they pay for my schooling but I just cant keep doing this lol...

Braincrater

Oh and Spyder... Your leather work is safe and sound, I SUCK at sewing lol..  Homeck was not one of my strong points!

JBraun

If you want to be a rock star, I'd suggest you pick up a guitar and learn to play it.

Just to be clear, very few racers make money at it.
If you look at an AMA supersport grid, out of 30+ riders, there are maybe 5 who are getting paid. The rest have jobs or wealthy (or comitted) families that pay the bills so they can race.

Even in Superbike, I bet only half of the riders are making money.

At your local contingency paying club race you'd be hard pressed to find more than three people in the whole paddock who consider racing their job.

So I guess I'd start by getting your race license..... then follow Alexa's advice.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Super Dave

First, you need to commit.

Most industry sponsorships are not enough to pay what you need.

Mad skills?  Yeah, but skills are continually put to the test, and even the fastest riders look to go faster and run into hurdles and walls just like a track day rider.  Recognize that one will always run into those walls.

A better living in racing can be had by skipping the AMA.  It doesn't pay enough for a purse, but manufacturers contingency is very, very good.  Yeah, there is an investment process in learning the tracks, learning and buying bikes, generating valuable relationships with good sponsors.  There is no guarantee, but racers do...others either claim or don't try.

Following a local series that doesn't pay is just that...it doesn't pay.  While a championship might be a nice thing, until it pays, well, it's a nice thing to look at when you're older or something.  Nothing against them, but one should almost look at them as an after thought to the end game.

In the AMA there are a very minor few that are being paid for their services.  Some of the other names one recognize are actually paying substantial amounts of money directly for those rides or they have sponsors willing to pay for those opportunities.  Until the change in the AMA really moves forward, I don't see that as something that is going to change a lot of things, but I would bet on some riders that are getting paid currently will be looking toward some opportunities that they might get paid for outside the US if they are still available.

Maybe that sparks a little talk... 
Super Dave

Super Dave

Super Dave

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!