News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Any Daytona Advice?

Started by Maverick, July 24, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

Maverick

I'm a first year racer in the Florida Region - running towards the back of the pack in most races, never the slowest lap times but typically in the bottom 20 for AM F40, MWSS & MWGP at Jennings, Homestead & Moroso.  I'd love to race Daytona - but is it too soon?  I've read the horror stories about too crowded, too fast, not enough practice time, etc.  I'm thinking about just going up for Biketoberfest and doing the Team Hammer school or track ride.  Is Daytona really that crazy?  Is Team Hammer a waste of money & time if you're not going to race that weekend?  I'm deciding if I should get another year of racing under my belt to get more experience & my lap times down - or should I just go for it and race?  I sure could use some advice from you guys.  Thanks.

Mongo

Ocean Deck, Yuengling on tap. 

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

MotoGuy

Go for it. Yes, Daytona is intimidating. But there's no place else like it. Experience will make you faster/better. And the only way to get experience is...

eightonezero

definitely do the practice day.  It took me half the practice day to finally make myself keep it pinned going into Nascar 4. It is a religious experience to say the least.   I did it once, loved it and will never do it again :D

d-wire

Team Hammer is a waste of money unless you are doing the race weekend.  Its expensive and you don't get much track time compared to other track day events.  If you are going to race.......Team Hammer is a must if you are a first timer.  The track is neat, intimidating at first, real fast and some fun.  I would sign up, run Team Hammer and race.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

2old2fat2slow

We went to Daytona this year and had a blast. This is our kid's rookie year and it was an experience he will never forget. We spent more money in the 5 days we were there than you could spend in 2 weeks at Disney World. No regrets though. Met some awesome people and made some great race friends that we have seen at several other events throughout the season. We will probably pass on the ROC and spend that pile of cash on next years new bike. I would encourage anyone to make this event at least once in their racing career. I am pretty sure we will be going to the season opener next year. Mainly to hang out with Art !! (Chaplain220) We did not do the track day and in retrospect, I wish we had. Probably would have avoided the crash he had on Saturday's race. Next year we will definately do the track day.
Go for it Bro! You will be glad you did in so many ways. :thumb:
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

tug296

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

GSXR RACER MIKE

Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Maverick

Great advice!!!  This is always the place to come for the straight scope!  Thanks!!!!!!!

MELK-MAN

have your bike in tip top shape. The track is hard on machinery as your pinned for a very long time. If your planning on painting your bike.. wait. The high speeds are tough on paint, from tiny rocks and sand/grit before it gets blown off. I would put a screen of some sort on your radiator to prevent puncture from debris. I use gutter screen, home depot, cheap. Cut to fit. For gearing in October, try +1 front gear on the front to start (stock rear).
Do the TeamHammer school if it is your 1st time.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

GKBuzz

Don't stay over night in Perry, Georgia.
Grant
Never to old to learn

123user

1.  Definately get a garage spot.  Last couple of years they were $150 for the weekend, otherwise you can bake under a tent listening to your generator run for 8 hrs a day. 
2.  Practice time is pretty slim, so if you can do the TeamHammer deal, do it. 
3.  Bring a pitbike, bicycles aren't allowed in the paddock, neither are "licensed" street bikes.  I use a Honda Hawk as a pitbike and just keep some zipties with me to put the plate back on for outside errends. 
4.  Don't camp.  I made that mistake in 2006.  I was hot at the track... miserably hot in my tent. 
5.  If you've never ridden Daytona, the banking can be very intimidating.  Still, don't waste all your practice time ramping up to speed, after one session you should be WOT, then concentrate on the infield.
6.  I don't ride the paint strip in the chicane in the rain, but I'm not very bold.
7.  Talk to your tire guy... tire failure is bad. 

For some reason, Daytona seems stressful.  The race calls are erratic and everything is far away.  Just treat it like a regular club race and try to relax.  Oh yeah... track management is often obtuse.  Getting 1/2 hour notice that you have to vacate the padock just because the DMG supported MotoST wants you out is very frustrating...  I just skipped watching the MotoST race, went back to my hotel and watched Meerkat Manor in the A/C.