News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Blackhawk Farms travel update

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, July 24, 2008, 12:00:11 AM

GSXR RACER MIKE

For those of you who take I-90, I-39, and/or bypass 20 around Rockford to BFR your probably already aware of the construction on I-90 where they are working on widening it to 6 lanes. Recent work has changed the merging situation from bypass 20 onto I-90 and has led to some massive traffic jams on Bypass 20 during peak travel times, especially around weekends. I've also seen I-90 itself at a stand still at times due to construction work and even accidents.

What I'm getting at is if your going to be traveling by Rockford be prepared to stop or be delayed depending on what time your going by here, defenitely don't try and get thru here at the last minute - especially during peak travel times. Also for those who will be exitting off of I-90 onto Bypass 20 / I-39 on their way home, beware that the new temporary exit is much sooner now and sneeks up on you in a hurry - if you miss that exit you'll have to drive all the way to Belvidere before you can exit and go back to Bypass 20 / I-39.

Good luck and stay safe to all this weekend!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Burt Munro

Mike,

Tell me if this makes sense (time wise):

As I near Rockford heading north on I-39 I take Hwy 20 West.......

Continue west on Hwy 20 to Meridian and head north past the west side of Rockford.....

Meridian intersects Rockton Rd several miles west of Rockton.  Take Rockton Rd east.

I know it would probably be further in distance, but would I save enough time to make up the difference?
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super Dave

Quote from: Burt Munro on July 24, 2008, 12:50:47 AM
Mike,

Tell me if this makes sense (time wise):

As I near Rockford heading north on I-39 I take Hwy 20 West.......

Continue west on Hwy 20 to Meridian and head north past the west side of Rockford.....

Meridian intersects Rockton Rd several miles west of Rockton.  Take Rockton Rd east.

I know it would probably be further in distance, but would I save enough time to make up the difference?
Yeah, I think that's the route.  Meridian "T's" into Rockton road maybe about three or four miles west of Prairie Rd, which Blackhawk is on.

I actually use that as part of my route from Dixon to Rockton to avoid the tolls.  Meridian is pretty open, 55MPH, probably a few stop signs, but not a bad deal.

Might not be a bad deal, Burt.
Super Dave

repojay

IF YOU ARE COMMING FROM CHICAGO THRE IS THE BACK WAY AT BELVIDERE BEFORE THE OAISIS WHICH IS FASTER EVEN BEFORE THEY TORE UP THE EXPRESSWAY...

GET OFF THE BELVIDERE/GENOA RD EXIT.  YOU WILL WANT TO TAKE A RIGHT OFF THE EXIT AND GO STREIGHT.  STAY STREIGHT THROUGH THE LIGHTS (PASS THE BP ON THE LEFT) AND CONTINUE STREIGHT AND THE ROAD BENDS TO THE LEFT. AT THE FAIRGROUNDS YOU WILL WANT TO GO RIGHT ON RT 76. (APROX 3 MILES) IF YOU GO TOO FAR THE ROAD GOES LEFT AGAIN AND YOU WILL HIT N STATE YOU WENT TOO FAR!!

AT THAT RIGHT GO STREIGHT (NORTH) AND TAKE THE 2ND LEFT ON CALEDONIA RD (APROX 1 MILE). STAY ON THAT TO THE END.  IT INTERSECTS WITH HUNTER / ELEVATOR RD.  (APROX 7 MILES) TAKE A LEFT AND GO STREIGHT.    YOU WILL STAY ON THIS ROAD ALL THE WAY THROUGH ROSCOE THEN ROCKTON AND YOU WILL GO THROUGH THE STOP SIGN IN THE TOWN OF ROCKTON AND THE ROAD GOES BY THE RIVER TO THE STOP SIGN WHERE YOU NEED TO GO LEFT OR RIGHT.....(APROX 6 MILES) GO LEFT AND THE 2ND RIGHT IS PRARIE RD AND AFTER THE 1ST STOP THE TRACK IS ON THE LEFT.

SOUNDS LIKE ALOT BUT THE RIDE IS FAST AND THERE ARE TOWNS WHERE THE SPEED LIMITS ARE 35 OR SO BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE RIDE IS 55/60..

SOUNDS COMPLICATED BUT IT IS FAST AND THERE IS NO TRAFFIC.  WE TRAVEL THE WAY DAILY. 

Super Dave

Please turn down your VOLUME, Jason...

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Super Dave

RCR_531

Merd
Quote from: Billy Bo Jim boB on July 24, 2008, 10:44:08 AM
Yeah, I think that's the route.  Meridian "T's" into Rockton road maybe about three or four miles west of Prairie Rd, which Blackhawk is on.

It is 4.1 miles and I go this way all of the time. I hate traffic and tolls that you get going the other way.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

GSXR RACER MIKE

I just took I-90 and Bypass 20 at about 10:30 pm and it was pretty smooth sailing, in fact I think I saw a few racers on their way to the track. But earlier at 5:30pm on Thursday I crossed over Bypass 20 and looked down and it was bumper to bumper heading to the I-90 interchange at what looked to be about 10mph.

The route you suggested using Meridian is the same way some people at work drive twice a day going back and forth to where they live just North of Blackhawk Farms in Beloit, the one guy told me today he drives by BFR everyday and that drive is actually very easy with only a few stop signs. He said going that way from our work (which is along Bypass 20 and about 3 miles from I-39) to his house takes him less than 30 minutes. I would give it a try, you might actually prefer going that way even when the I-90 construction is done.

The thing with going Bypass 20 and I-90 is going to be kind of a luck of the draw situation based on what time you go thru, you might get lucky and get to drive thru the construction at 45 mph without stops, or you might be parked for a while - who knows? Certainly not trying to scare anybody from going that way, just a heads up.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96