Firebird racing this past weekend

Started by cr133r, March 17, 2003, 02:25:43 PM

cr133r

It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but unfortunately part of the Sunday racing was cancelled due to the weather(of all things, it rained in the desert).

Anyways, they rescheduled the remaining races Sat morning at the next event at Firebird, effectively cancelling that days Sport Rider Day.  Does this mean they 'may' schedule a Track Day on Friday for the event?  Who would I contact to ask if that was possible.  And if they don't plan to do it, if we know ASAP we can probably get the guys that set up the one this past Friday to do it again(hopefully more than 18 people will show if its known weeks ahead of time).

As for the Sport Rider day, it seems like just a race practice day with very few 'sport' riders showing up.  At least at Firebird thats how it seemed.  Maybe it isn't such a bad deal afterall.  It gives a lot of people that wouldn't have otherwise had time off on Friday a chance to get a decent amount of track time in.  

I just wish there was something that could be done about registration on Saturday morning.  All I know is that I will be preregistering in the future.  I wonder if they could have someone show up the evening before to take pre race entries or something like that?  Anything that makes it easier for us(and in turn for them) would be welcomed.

lightweightgp

well, it was fun, sure, but let's tell the whole story.

i guess team AZ put on a trackday on Friday.  you say only 18 people showed up?  that stinks.  i realize it was last minute, but i hope they didn't lose their shirts on the deal.  

saturday morning, the CCS people apparently didn't have access to the little building they use for registration, so registration opened late.   of course a ton of people showed up, since it was a nice day, the first race weekend in phoenix, and a combined SW and Pacific region date.   so registration was mobbed.  it took about 45 minutes to get throught the line.  a lot of people missed the first practice.   i not only had to register, but i had to get new tires, so i missed the first practice group.  no problem, i figured there were three practice sessions on the schedule before lunch, with two more for tractkday only folks after lunch, so i would get at least two session in.     It was not to be.  i went out for the second practice, which was red flagged after about 5 laps.   after two rounds of practice sessions, they had the riders meeting and lunch break, and announced that there would be no third round of practice,  but they would be happy to take $25 more to allow racers to run the two "trackday only" practices after lunch.  since they already had $225 of my money, plus $320 for a set of tires, i really wasn't excited about shelling out for more practice, especially when i thought i should get another session anyway.

anyway, all 4 scheduled races were run as planned in the afternoon.  i wish i could have had another practice, since i had to pull out of race #2 (GTL) with a mechanical problem that i probably would have caught and fixed if i had another practice...

Sunday- it was pouring at my house in scottsdale.  miraculously, as i drove south to the track, it cleared up.   Lookin' good!   Got two practice sessions in, races 1-5 went off without a hitch.   Lunch.  Slight showers during race 6, (F. Geezer) but it cleared quickly, and the track was drying.  Race 7 was a little damp.  It started darkening and sprinkling as the guys took their sighting lap for Race 8.  While they were on the grid, the heavens opened up.   It poured buckets.  They started the race, about 1/3 of the field came in after 4 turns.   The rest of them did another two laps before the race was red flagged.  It was freakin' biblical.  Sideways rain, 50 knot winds.   It did this for about 10-15 minutes and then slowed down a bit.    The pits were awash. The entire site was draining West to East, so huge lakes were left in the gravel, which proceeded to drain across the track, into the pits, across the parking area and across the track again.   There was 2 inches of water in several parts of the track, and flowing water was leaving mud on the track.  

The officials took a long walk around the track, then they called a meeting and told us they were calling the races.  The track was not safe.   Probably the best decision.   Even though the micheln guys were doing a brisk business with the tire grooving iron.   And i think every set of rain tires that each tire vendor brought was pressed into service.  

They told us that the next race date, Apr. 12-13, they were cancelling the half day track day (a cheer went up in the crowd) and would run the 11 races that were washed out on Saturday morning.   So Apr. 12-13 is most of a twin sprint weekend, with a few endurance races on Saturday afternoon.      By sunday night my tires should be good and fried!

Track day at AMP March 22, 2003.

Mongrel

Call Team AZ at 480-998-9888 ask for Mark and let him know that you are interested in a track day on the Friday before the CCS races in April.  Anyone that would be willing to attend call let them know you are interested. I think there is some willingness from Team AZ to put a track day on.  I am not sure because I have not talked to Mark yet but I bet they would be more then willing to put everyone on a list at this point so that if and when the track day does come about they can get a hold of everyone.  I will talk to Mark soon and ask what their position is on this.

h8mondays

Been lurking around for a while, as this is my first season with CCS SW and figured I would say hello. I want to say thanks to all the seasoned riders out there for putting up with new people like myself.

lightweightgp pretty much nailed the play by play of this last weekend.  This is my first season with CCS and now after 2 events, I think I've got it through my thick head to pre-register.

On another note, does anyone remember the name of the photographer who was out there or his website?  I'm being bugged to send a photo to LP and need to get with him.

Thanks again

h8mondays

Mongrel

Oh forgot to add this.  Huge thanks goes out to all those corner workers that stood out in the rain this weekend.  We would not race if it weren't for you.

f1fty0n3

Sure would be nice to have a Lockhart $75 track day on Friday.  Springing an extra $175 for the Team AZ track day is pretty brutal before a race weekend.