Starts

Started by cbr600_mj, July 10, 2008, 04:39:12 PM

cbr600_mj

Hey there,

Need some help with my starting during  races.

I'm still learning but how do you all start in a race.

Right now I'm just guessing...

I tried higher rpms at one start a it was a bit tooo much and I did a small wheelie and then I panic'd and chopped the throttle.

I watched some other races and their starts and noticied some are waaaaaaaaay high in the rpms and others were blipping the throttle mid range before the green.

Just seeing what everyone else does.

Thanks,

Mike

Super Dave

Really depends on the bike.  The bike won't wheelie on its own.  That's back to the clutch and the nut at the end of that bar end.

I've raced some bikes that like high R's, as in right at redline.  Others I've felt had a bit more torque that liked lower R's.  Either way, if you feed too much clutch, it might grab.  Some R6's are grabby by nature, especially after an oil change.  Some bikes have a short first gear.

So, how do you do it specifically?  I mean, your step by step process. 
Super Dave

cbr600_mj

I have a 01 CBRF4i and I just have been reving it high r's and guessing with the clutch, and after reading your first post, I need to find what clutch posttion works for my bike.

Looking at my starts last year and this year, I never really paid any attention to where I was with the clutch.

Never raced untill last year and this year.

Mike

Super Dave

Yeah, you've got to figure out how far you want the lever from the "friction" point, and how fast you're going to let it out.  If you just dump the clutch, well, the tire has traction.  Sometimes a light rear spring and things like that can be contributing factors to wheelies too.
Super Dave

jigs

I have been getting pretty good launches with my GSX-R 750,obviously an in-line.I guess what I do is first of all,not engage the clutch till the one board is virticle,this keeps it cooler,especially on a hot day.Then I put it in first,left foot on the peg,making sure the bike is veticle instaed of tilted a little bit being one foot is on the ground.Then I'll just rev the throttle at about 4k,then and here's the key for me,when the starter WRIST starts moving,I get it up about 6-8 k and let the cluth out fairly fast but in a gradulal motion and roll on the gas in proportion to full throttle,also my foot is alraedy in postion for the up-shift to second.Needless to say,body over the tank leaning forward.

cbr600_mj

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

xb9racer

take it to the drag races. helped my starts out a lot.

jigs

There you have it,great suggestion.I bet a day at the strip will get ya goin'!!

SVbadguy

Watch/listen to one of my starts here on my CBR.   Hold the revs in the meat of the torque and then lay into the throttle as you ease out the clutch.  Modulate wheelies using the clutch, don't back out of it.
Onboard- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4646767086902871396

Watch me in the middle of row 2 in this one to see my body position.  Both feet back, body over the tank.
http://www.onthethrottle.tv/pages/page/ccs_sat_9_lw_ss_ex_am_vir_08/143_571_592
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

cbr600_mj

Thanks!!

Great video!

Gixxerblade

I think starts are a very personal thing and really hard to share with anyone. Sure we can tell what we do but I doubt all of us get the holeshot everytime or even have the greatest starts. Most important thing in getting a good start is paying attention to the flagger, wehen his shoulder moves you punch it; not forgetting to upshift; and getting through turn 1. Turn 1 and the few corners after really define the start especially in sprint racing. Best thing to do is get through turn one as fast as possible, it doesn't have to look pretty but get through there faster than everyone else and you will be sitting pretty.

jigs

Good point,I'm getting great launches,but somewhat tenative in T-1 with the mindset of just get through it,and getting left behind to play catch up with the leaders,only to have to get around a couple bikes in the process.In a sprint race,many times it was too late.