HELP- Water in my OIL!

Started by rossifumi, March 15, 2003, 03:09:05 PM

rossifumi

I KNOW THIS BELONGS IN THE WRENCHIG SECTION, BUT I MAY HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM AND FIGURE MORE PEOPLE BROWSE THIS FORUM.To start I have a 01 gsxr 600. Well, I went to start getting my bike ready for this season and the first thing I notice is a milky substance in my oil sight window. Apparently, what was marked as antifreeze in my girlfriends garage was water, and it froze over the winter! I drained all the fluids, re-filled with new stuff, then noticed water dripping from my drain bolt. Sure enough, I tool off the bolt and about a gallon of water came out, then came the oil.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I checked my water pump and thermostat and neither of them have cracked. I know there are Freeze Plugs in the motor but have no idea where they are located or how to get to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make the first weekend at BHF!!!
Thanks,
Mike

Super Dave

Sounds like a popped head gasket.

I think you should take it down and get working.  Nothing will fix it there in the frame, I'm sorry to say.
Super Dave

rossifumi

Thanks for the reply Dave.. I've been lirking on this forum for quite some time and you definately know your stuff. I'll start tomorrow...

nfcracin

if I am right the Freeze Plugs are in the head.
pull the valve cover & check before pulling the motor

if  that is  it replace them and fill with oil & new filter
then warm up the bike then change the oil & filter-
repeat 2-3 times to flush the water out of the motor.

This happened to Simon K. at the first Gateway last year.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Yeah, what he said. I've seen it too.  In the head, don't have to remove the motor.  Good luck!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

QuoteThanks for the reply Dave.. I've been lirking on this forum for quite some time and you definately know your stuff. I'll start tomorrow...

Nah, I'm personally air cooled, so I don't have freeze plugs.  Listen to K3 and NFC.  They know their stuff too.  SD's stamp of approval...;D
Super Dave

rossifumi

I remember hearing around the paddock at Gateway last year that this happened to someone...  I'll try pulling the valve cover and seeing if thats it. If so, what do you guys recommend to re-insert the freeze plugs - some JB Weld?? Should I even reuse the old ones?

GSXR RACER MIKE

I too had this happen to me on my '96 GSXR 750 because I forgot to take the water out of that bike (I have Evans NPG in my other 2 bikes and forgot about that bike). I personally have not looked into what happened yet, but a freind of mine (Chuck Stephan) had the same thing happen to him a year ago on his GSXR 750. I remember him saying that he pulled the engine and found that he wouldn't have had to do that if he would have known what was wrong in the first place. His was also freeze plugs and all he did was pound them back in and clean the water out of the motor. Chuck raced that bike all last year and never had the freeze plugs give him any trouble, though I would imagine new freeze plugs would be the suggested route from Suzuki.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

rossifumi

Yep - I pulled the valve cover and was greeted by 1 freeze plug out of place. I put it back in w/some JB weld. I also noticed that my oil pan has a small crack in it so I need to fix that too. Anyone have a spare oil pan for a new gen. gsxr?

Thanks for all the help. Sure saved me a lot of trouble :)

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteYep - I pulled the valve cover and was greeted by 1 freeze plug out of place. I put it back in w/some JB weld. I also noticed that my oil pan has a small crack in it so I need to fix that too. Anyone have a spare oil pan for a new gen. gsxr?

Are you absolutely sure that this is a crack and not a casting imperfection that may appear to be a crack? Is it leaking directly from this crack if you clean it off? Aluminum castings can often times give a look of being cracked when they are really just imperfections from the casting mold. Automotive transmissions can give this appearance also and be very deceptive as to being an actual crack.
     Did you pound in that freeze plug? Freeze plugs are tapered slightly to wedge them into their openings and shouldn't come out unless improperly installed or ice pushes them out.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

rossifumi

There is definately a small crack in the oil pan - water was leaking directly from it.

I also lightly tapped the freeze plug into place - about as deep as the other 4.

tcchin

I wouldn't think that bonding the freeze plugs to the head with epoxy is a good idea; I think they're supposed to be press-fit.