News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Strange Riding position

Started by Fast Cletus, June 29, 2008, 09:30:33 PM

Fast Cletus

I have been watching a lot of Racing lately, MOTO Gp, World SBK, etc.  There is one thing I keep seeing racers do that has baffled me. I watched Troy Bayliss today and on his entrance into Left handers his foot comes off teh pegs and just kind of hangs out and then gets reset on the pegs and the he goes into the turn.  Anyone know what the purpose of this is?
JC
CCS Racer #552
2001 Ducati Monster 600 & 2001 Ducati Supersport 900

d-wire

Ok, he is running GP shift.  (one up, 5 down.).....So when he is downshifting he has to reposition his foot just before turn-in.  At this point he is braking VERY hard.......and his foot gets sucked forward a little bit by the G-forces created by very hard braking.  He has to pull the foot around to get it on the ball of the foot for the left hand corner.........

So, sometimes you'll see that foot hang around for a second.......sometimes a balance thing as the bike can be sliding a bit under hard braking.......but caused by running gp shift and repositioning the foot.  Make sense??????????
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

tug296

I used to ask that question, then during the first 8 hr. at Daytona, we had to swap the shift lever at each rider change.
I could not learn shift GP efficiently in time, and my team mate Dodson vice versa.

The lever broke in the GP position with about 4 hrs to go, could not change it back.
I had to shift GP the last half and learned why the left foot does the dangle dance, it was one of those moments of clarity.

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

roadracer162

Quote from: tug296 on June 29, 2008, 10:02:59 PM

The lever broke in the GP position with about 4 hrs to go, could not change it back.
I had to shift GP the last half and learned why the left foot does the dangle dance, it was one of those moments of clarity.

I dangle my foot like that but only after I "P".

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

SRobertson

Mark,

Your replies are always so eloquent.  Please try not to "P" in front of me....

Scott

Ducmarc

i hope that's not a new break i've missed the last two races a homostead  marc

Scotty Ryan

I may not be Troy Bayliss - But I have been around the block a few times and done some racing.... I usually take my foot off the peg for a number of reasons... It doesn't matter weather it's the left or the right - So I don't think it really has to do with the race shift-Cause I run "Race Shift" as well.... I usually take my foot off the peg and reposition it when I have the chassis loaded hard under braking and can't move my feet because I already have my body positioned to the inside of the bike and a certain amount of weight on my foot...So I am forced to take the foot off the peg to get on the ball of the foot(Big Gun Boat feet-Size 13)....
Toward the end of the 8hr Moto-St at Daytona I was starting to cramp - So I would take and shake out the cramps when I was braking(Better to do it while slowing the bike down VS while trying to accelerate and loosing drive/Momentum while exiting a corner....
The last reason comes from my Motocross/Supercross background - But I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else - it's more a habit then anything else....When I get into a corner a bit hot while the bike is backed in - I find myself taking my inside foot off the peg and actually dabbing/dragging my inside toes....For me I think it's more or less a gauge - Kinda like a knee slider - You usually use it to compute in your head the lean angle that you actually have...

Like I said tho - I'm no Troy Bayliss
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Team_Serpent

Quote from: LumberJack Louie on July 01, 2008, 12:20:59 AM
I may not be Troy Bayliss - Like I said tho - I'm no Troy Bayliss

Boy you can say that again   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

roadracer162

Quote from: SRobertson on June 30, 2008, 10:43:45 PM
Mark,

Your replies are always so eloquent.  Please try not to "P" in front of me....

Scott

I can't seem to get in front of you.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Gino230

My foot comes off the peg sometimes, mostly because I'm too cheap to replace the stock rearsets, which are slippery. Think Bayliss has THAT problem?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Ducmarc

what's up capt. G. your myspace dry up? when my foot comes off the peg it means there's a leak somewhere followed by that flying sensation.