News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

buell or sv or something else

Started by rsvr10002001, June 13, 2008, 10:19:03 AM

rsvr10002001

I am looking to get a more competitive bike for next year. As of now i have a 1st gen. sv with a stock motor with just  a jet kit , filter, and exhaust. I am competitive in SS. but that is it. In all the other classes i can't keep up after pit out on the front straight at summit. I am not a big fan of buell and love the sv but, the buell has me interested mainly because they pay out every weekend. unless i can start making a few bucks to pay for gas and maybe a entry fee once and a while i don't know how many races i will be able to do next year. any advice?

YellowRacer

SV650 all the way! There are millions of things you can do with them. The tyre life on a SV is great. Since they don't have the power of the 600's. It's a REALLY fun bike. Plus the best part, is passing 600, and thousands in the turns! Lots of fun! Plus, I could always use another person on a SV to race against! Not that there is a shortage... ha ha
CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

rsvr10002001

don't get me wrong i love the sv and even if i put 2g's in the motor and put it on the box it still doesn't pay nearly as much as the buell.

xb9racer

Buell pays the best, that's for sure.

roadracer162

The SV is a very competitive. In the FL CCS there is such a first gen SV that has a reported 80 hp and killing many of the Duc racers especially in the SS class.

Next year the SV will be racing Ultralight which I just don't agree with but with the Duc 800 in Ultralight currently I guess it kinda makes sense.

Your SV  as compared to the Buell doesn't have the same contigencies value when it comes to manufacturer stuff, but does when it comes to everything else. It all depends on what you want out of it.

I think the Buell cost more to run than the SV but I don't know if the extra cost is worth it. Will it get you the higher placement in resuilts that you are looking for?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

rsvr10002001

how do you get 80hp out of a 1 gen sv and still be SS legal?

proechel539

Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

LongDogRacing

Quote from: rsvr10002001 on June 14, 2008, 10:17:01 AM
how do you get 80hp out of a 1 gen sv and still be SS legal?

ram airbox
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

clutch

If you are pulling 80HP in a first gen sv, even a 2nd gen sv I would be seriously leary it is stock.  My second gen sv mapped on U4 made 77HP

Jwhite316

we have an sv 1st gen with about 80 horse but its built true you cant do ss but if you look at expenses a buell breaks down much more than an sv.  in my oppinion the 1st gen sv is the best sv mostly because of its realiabilty.
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

xb9racer

"If you look at expenses a buell breaks down much more than an sv."

Really? The only Buell's that I know of that have issue's are built to the hilt. I would venture that is the case with most any engine you build the crap out of. I'm in season 2 on my Buell with a stock motor with over 10,000 miles. All I did over winter was new piston rings and a brass oil gear drive. And there was no reason for that. I did it just to be on the safe side.

roadracer162

I'm only going by what was told to me from a pretty reliable source. i know first hand of first gen SV doing 72hp on U4 for SS.

This other one has apparently been gone into and had some minor but I am told SS legal work done and it produced the 80 rwhp figure. I myself think it's unbelievable but noone has challenged him as of yet and pulled him down. Until that day comes I won't know for sure. That bike sure runs strong though, and also the rider on it weighs less than me when I was twelve. He is one dang good rider though.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MotoGuy

I'm selling my Duck to get a Buell. Best contingency program in CCS, bar none. They pay every weekend. They pay AMs and Experts. They pay cash. And they pay for any XB model back to 2003.

Yes SVs are cheaper to purchase. But reliability is a wash if you mod the SV for the power you need to be up front. The XB Buells are pretty reliable.

Good luck with your decision. I've made mine.

proechel539

If I had the $$'s I would have been on a Buell last year! Maybe, next year. Eventually I'll be on a Buell. By the way I dont believe a RAM AIRBOX is SS legal. I'll have to look in the rules again.

D. Original equipment air box must remain as produced. Air fi lters must
be used but may be Aftermarket units. Aftermarket air fi lters are
restricted to units available via normal commercial channels and
designed for that specifi c model machine. Aftermarket air fi lter units
that replace part of the OEM. air box are required to maintain the
original size and number of air inlet openings as the stock unit.
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

LongDogRacing

Hey Darrell,
Yup, my ramair kit is SS legal--  the OEM airbox, snorkel, and filter are untouched.  The rulebook says nothing about HOW the air can be routed TO the stock airbox.  I'll catch up with you on 5,6 July.  I think I want in on a Buell, too!
--Justin
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK