Anyone Boycotting French products?

Started by duc995@aol.com, March 12, 2003, 06:48:41 AM

mj

the following was posted on msn.....

what should we do next....send back the statue of liberty ?  ???

Banning French Fries
You want "freedom fries" with that?
By Timothy Noah
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 1:43 PM PT

Henceforth, french fries and French toast will no longer be served in the cafeterias of the House of Representatives' three office buildings. Instead, the cafeterias will offer "freedom fries" and "freedom toast." It has been so decreed by Rep. Bob Ney, an Ohio Republican who chairs the committee on House administration. No word yet on whether the House similarly plans to adopt the neologisms "freedom horn," "freedom doors," "freedom kissing," and "freedom tickler."

Rep. Ney's action (urged on by Rep. Walter Jones, a North Carolina Republican) is meant to demonize France for its exasperating refusal to support a war against Iraq. It's an echo of the propaganda frenzy against Germany during World War I, when Americans renamed sauerkraut "liberty cabbage," dachshunds "liberty dogs," hamburgers "liberty steaks," and German measles "liberty measles." Beethoven was banned outright. In retrospect, this demonization of all things German seems ridiculous. But it wasn't as ridiculous as Ney's current demonization of France. Germany, after all, was America's enemy, whereas France is America's NATO ally. If chauvinistic warmongers want to start renaming stuff, it should be Iraqi stuff. There's probably not much point in going after Iraqi food such as masgoof (barbecued fish) and pacha (sort of an Iraqi haggis) because Americans don't eat them. A better idea would be to tear out every page in the Bible that features an Iraqi place name, such as Babylon, Babel, the Garden of Eden, Nineveh, and Ur. The Christian right will object, but we all have to make sacrifices during wartime.

sdiver68

Not insightful, typical leftist rhetoric...

Ignores the indisputable fact that the French are still selling weapons to Iraq.  Weapons that they will try and use to kill US soldiers.  What is the left wing defense for that?

Europe doesn't "like " the US in the same way Larry Ellison doesn't like Bill Gates, pure competition and jealousy.  Or, the same reason Max Biaggi doesn't "like" Valentino Rossi.

Perhaps the world would prefer to have another North Korea on its hands  ::)

MCRA Race School Instructor

TZDeSioux

QuoteNot insightful, typical leftist rhetoric...

;D

MightyDuc Racing

No problem...I just say when Saddam attacks us because we listened to the French and gave him more time to prepare ( I mean comply), we'll just move and kick their pansy asses out of their country and live there.  Then we'll let them go stay with Saddam since he's so wonderful.  If you don't support our country and what we do to try to protect our great nation, go travel abroad and fricking stay there.  If things are so great everywhere else, why is everyone trying to live here?  If you don't like it, beat it!  Just my .02.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

r6_philly

Ignores the indisputable fact that the French are still selling weapons to Iraq.  Weapons that they will try and use to kill US soldiers.  What is the left wing defense for that?

Europe doesn't "like " the US in the same way Larry Ellison doesn't like Bill Gates, pure competition and jealousy.  Or, the same reason Max Biaggi doesn't "like" Valentino Rossi.

Tell me US didn't sell weapons (small arm)  to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, various African countries who is in civil war right now, and dare I say it, who trained Osama???

learn your US foreign history facts.

American foreign policy is not the root of all evils, but it should made a lot of enemies and accomplished less.

r6_philly

which bring up a good point - why isn't our govenment focusing on Korea? does it really take a country who HAS weapon of mass destruction, and who IS threatening to use them, to take our focus away from a program to DEVELOP weapon of mass destruction?

North Korea is a MUCH bigger threat, its leader a much crazier man. Lets deal with Korea first, before it destroys South Korea and Japan.

no one like US because of competition? get over yourself and go see the world a little more. no Europe, Europe will not fight us and harm us. Look at all the third world countries. Have you ever thought about why those little crappy countries always hate the USA so much as to attack it? Because our aggressive foreign policy. But what has that accomplished? Conflict is still everywhere, war going on in different parts of the globe.

I believe there is a way to discuss a situation without calling other's opinion Rhetoric. OR maybe all oposing voice are Rhetoric. Then we wouldn't be able to have a converstaion, such as the case of the UN.

I am saying, if US helped establish UN as a world governing body, then US itself should abide by UN's rulings, even if it goes against our judgements.

And Steve, I never said Iraq shouldn't be stopped. If you read what I wrote instead of just skipping over the "Rhetoric" you might realize that I only disagree with the push for war against UN, and calling French Cowards. No mention of war on Iraq is BAD.

Please understand my statements, and understand the situation before calling someone leftist... it is unjust

r6_philly

QuoteNo problem...I just say when Saddam attacks us because we listened to the French and gave him more time to prepare ( I mean comply), we'll just move and kick their pansy asses out of their country and live there.  Then we'll let them go stay with Saddam since he's so wonderful.  If you don't support our country and what we do to try to protect our great nation, go travel abroad and fricking stay there.  If things are so great everywhere else, why is everyone trying to live here?  If you don't like it, beat it!  Just my .02.

Saddam have to smuggle a weapon to our shores to attack us.

North Korea can fire off missles with multiple warheads at its disposal, and their missles can reach USA's west coast.

Who should we fight a war against? Who should we pay attention to?

mj

:'( sad to say....this is a subject  ( politics and religion) that can easily cause a rift between family and friends.

One thing that we can all agree on is our love of racing and this bonds us together

LETS GO RACING !!!   ;D

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote:'( sad to say....this is a subject  ( politics and religion) that can easily cause a rift between family and friends.

Though I believe this may be the case, if people just stand by and ignore what is going on then they really have no right to complain about any results - good or bad.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

sdiver68

Dafan,

First of all, you will not "outhistory" me on facts.  Let's not even go there.... ;)

Sure we sold weapons to all those countries, at one time or another, in the past .  We have also fought wars and sold weapons to Canada, Mexico, Italy, Germany, to name a few and quite a few other countries in the past .  Does that have any bearing on our policy toward them now?

Different times and situations call for different policies.  It's true that the US has been inconsistent with various small countries...but why shouldn't the US pursue policies in its own best interests, whatever they may be at that time?  How else is the US supposed to formulate policy???

As for the French, since that was the original subject, still no word from you on their continuing to supply weapons to our enemies .  this alone is reason enough to eat "Freedom Fries" :)

North Korea should not be a US problem alone, it should be a Chinese, Russian, US, S Korean, Japanese, etc.. problem.  The US, correctly so, refuses to make it a 1 on 1 situation, or be bullied by a crazy 3rd world dictator, nuclear weapons and million person army notwithstanding.  If the US did give in to their demands, then the lesson for the world would be to develop WMD and huge armies for no other purpose than to shake down the US for more aid.  So, the US stance is MULTI_LATERAL talks.
MCRA Race School Instructor

chris_chops

Hey dudes,
     I will not try to "outhistory" anybody or take any official stand on this subject of war.  All of your opinions are worth consideration.  As the graphics on the back of my leathers illustrate, the earth will soon be blown up.  We should enjoy our times with loved ones and friends and continue to race and have fun together. HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET SOME RACING IN BEFORE THE FIRST NUCLEAR WARHEADS REACH THE MIDWEST.  

Matt

P.S.  I might be a little bit of a flower picker cause I try not to prevent pollution or leave to "deep of a ecological footprint", but I love wringing the neck of a racebike and discharging toxic emmisions into the air.  The Rev even let's me come over to his conservative pad to watch racing! :)

fatherbill

A wiser man than me said very recently "going to war with france is like going deer hunting with your accordian"  i happen to agree