News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Performance Index Calculation?

Started by kl3640, May 08, 2008, 01:32:44 AM

backMARKr

Quote from: tzracer on May 08, 2008, 02:34:30 PM
More math and physics. Chicks dig physics.

Doomed to be uncool my entire life... :lmao:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

tzracer

Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

kl3640

Quote from: tzracer on May 08, 2008, 02:34:30 PM
More math and physics. Chicks dig physics.

Funny, I remember taking as an undergrad 5 semesters of Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, 2 semesters of Discrete Math, and Numerical Analysis, combined with Probability & Statitiscs, Decision Modelling, and Financial Derivatives Calculus as a grad student, and all of that quite possibly having the opposite effect with chicks (except for the chicks in the math classes, who by and large were the type from which attention was not always sought).

Perhaps I should have taken some Renaissance Art classes or something...

Getting back to the main subject, so the Perf Index is really just a rider's results normalized on a scale of 100 per race performance (multiplied by 1000 instead of 100 for some reason), for the purpose of having a standard gauge across events.  I'm guessing it is then a straight arithmetic mean for the overall cumulative Performance Index score within a class or overall?  Not perfect, given variability in grid position, race positions, difficulty based on grid size, etc, are not factored, but still better than nothing and understandable.

tzracer

You took all that math and couldn't figure out how to calculate PI   :)

Chick dig physics, not math.

PI is the fraction of riders you beat + you times 1000.

I have not checked in a while (and don't really care since I mainly just race USGPRU), but ISTR that the PI is a running total, not averaging the PI from each race.
That is

[total(T-A)/totalT]*1000 where totals are for all races being calculated.

Probably use 1000 so it is like a batting average.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

2old2fat2slow

So,help me understand this point system. If your goal is to acheive 400 points in one season to be advanced to expert, then is it your overall points accrued or is it the "adjusted points" that count toward your season points???? I am totally confused right now and my kid (the actual racer in the family) will be devastated if he finds out you have to have 400 "adjusted" points to advance. Mom and I have agreed to be the financing behind next season only if he can make expert by the end of the season. If adjusted points have to add up to 400 to be advanced,I am afraid next season will be a dream but not a reality.
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

Jason748

I want to say it's 400 points IIRC, not 400 "adjusted by PI" points to bump to expert....
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

kl3640

Quote from: tzracer on May 08, 2008, 05:10:41 PM
You took all that math and couldn't figure out how to calculate PI   :)

Chick dig physics, not math.

PI is the fraction of riders you beat + you times 1000.

I have not checked in a while (and don't really care since I mainly just race USGPRU), but ISTR that the PI is a running total, not averaging the PI from each race.
That is

[total(T-A)/totalT]*1000 where totals are for all races being calculated.

Probably use 1000 so it is like a batting average.

No, of course I understood the arithmetic, I was just questioning the validity of the calculation as an accurate representation of performance because of the lack of other quantifiable causal factors, e.g., the assumption of linearity between difficulty (success, i.e., finishes) and grid size - that's all.

But given it's intended purpose and it's limited use, it's probably fine as-is.

My only question was whether the ongoing performance index overall or by class is straight arithmetic mean of the PI results from all previous races in a region or class, which it seems to be.

HAWK

I believe advancement is based on actual points not adjusted.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Andi

So if I competed in every race that I possibly could every race weekend and even with dismall finishes I could still be bumped to EX because I had 400 overall points? Hope that makes sense. Not sure how the bumping up part works. Figure it will be a while before I have to worry about getting to that level since I can only run a partial season this year.

kl3640

Quote from: AC1108 on May 08, 2008, 11:41:09 PM
So if I competed in every race that I possibly could every race weekend and even with dismall finishes I could still be bumped to EX because I had 400 overall points? Hope that makes sense. Not sure how the bumping up part works. Figure it will be a while before I have to worry about getting to that level since I can only run a partial season this year.

According to section 2.4.4.4 of the 2008 rulebook:

Any Amateur rider who scores 400 points within a 12 month period [will receive a promotion to Expert]
Subsection A: CCS reserves the right to deny Expert status to any Amateur who meets the Series Championship or Race of Championship criteria [referring to the other subsections of 2.4.4] and has not shown the experience and ability for expert competition.

So, I think that means "yes," you could run a bunch of events, get 400 total points, and be promoted.  You could also win a Series Championship, finish in the top 5 of a RoC event, be an Expert in one of the other sanctioning bodies which CCS accepts for reciprocity, or simply do really well as an AM and get bumped mid-season at your request or if CCS notices your performance and offers the bump.  However, I'm pretty sure that the CCS staff reviews the bump list at the end of each year, and interim requests, and invokes the "experience and ability" clause as they judge prudent.

Section 8.2.2 and 8.2.3 would indicate that the adjusted points are the riders' points multiplied by the performance index divided by 1000, and that adjusted points are used for the purpose of issuing regional top 10 number plates and championships, EX and AM alike for the latter.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be bumped to EX until my laptimes were such that I wouldn't be a danger to myself and the fast EX's on the track during EX races (although there are many cases now where AM's run with EX's, during 2 wave starts, etc).

hamurobby

Quote from: kl3640 on May 09, 2008, 12:25:56 AM
According to section 2.4.4.4 of the 2008 rulebook:

Any Amateur rider who scores 400 points within a 12 month period [will receive a promotion to Expert]
Subsection A: CCS reserves the right to deny Expert status to any Amateur who meets the Series Championship or Race of Championship criteria [referring to the other subsections of 2.4.4] and has not shown the experience and ability for expert competition.

So, I think that means "yes," you could run a bunch of events, get 400 total points, and be promoted.  You could also win a Series Championship, finish in the top 5 of a RoC event, be an Expert in one of the other sanctioning bodies which CCS accepts for reciprocity, or simply do really well as an AM and get bumped mid-season at your request or if CCS notices your performance and offers the bump.  However, I'm pretty sure that the CCS staff reviews the bump list at the end of each year, and interim requests, and invokes the "experience and ability" clause as they judge prudent.

Section 8.2.2 and 8.2.3 would indicate that the adjusted points are the riders' points multiplied by the performance index divided by 1000, and that adjusted points are used for the purpose of issuing regional top 10 number plates and championships, EX and AM alike for the latter.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be bumped to EX until my laptimes were such that I wouldn't be a danger to myself and the fast EX's on the track during EX races (although there are many cases now where AM's run with EX's, during 2 wave starts, etc).

If you were to be bumped before you felt you were ready because of lap times or inexperience, CCS will allow you to dispute your advancement, and possibly keep your novice status for another year.  8)
Waldo, the first cat of Jennings gp.. I miss you, rip buddy.

Tornado Bait

Quote from: hamurobby on May 09, 2008, 08:31:36 AM
If you were to be bumped before you felt you were ready because of lap times or inexperience, CCS will allow you to dispute your advancement, and possibly keep your novice status for another year.  8)
Of course you subject yourself to all the "sanbagger awards" in such a case.  :biggrin:
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing