Brian Hall's Status from University of Kansas Medical Hospital

Started by J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp, April 27, 2008, 10:59:03 PM

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

I'm starting this thread for Brian Hall and his condition.
I will be updating this thread periodically as we know more about his condition.

I am currently at the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City with Mike Hall (Brian's father).

Brian crashed today at Topeka Raceway in the ASRA Superbike race. He was in 2nd place on the forth lap cresting the hill in Turn 1 when he tucked the front end over the crest of the hill and slid into an unprotected wall on the outside going down the hill into turn 1.

According to our data on that bike he was reaching 150mph at the crest of that hill. He slid about 200'? and contacted the wall at a very high rate of speed while sliding. He slid back first into the wall and slid along way for quite awhile. Medical crew attended to him and brought him back to the Medical station where he complained of major back pain & pain in his right leg. He had a hard time laying on the stretcher and was in considerable amount of pain.
I helped him get out of his suit with the medics and he bled a considerable amount inside his suit. They delivered him to Stormont Vail hospital in Topeka, KS.
Once he got there they did an x-ray on him confirmed he broke his right lower leg near his ankle. He also seriously damaged his bowel area and was bleed from there pretty bad. Stormont determind that he needed serious surgery and that he might also be bleeding internally and there might be vertebrae damage.
It's 9:45pm Sunday night and he is still in surgery. We do not know the extent of the damage yet but will let everyone know as soon as the information becomes available.
He will most likely be here for at least 1 week. I'm staying here with Mike until we find out more news on his situation.
If anyone wants to contact me send me a PM from CCS or send me an email at speedtechracing@yahoo.com

I'm personally pretty upset about the fact that we were supposed to run the new configuration and it didn't happen.
I was at this track once before in 1995 and didn't remember much of the condition of the track for safety. As soon as I arrived on Thursday I saw how crazy the wall was in turn 1 not only where Brian hit it but coming up to the hill on the right side with now air fence or protection anywhere.
My understanding is that we were going to run the new configuration that was made for this reason and it didn't happen.
This track is dangerous and it took this to happen to prove that it is dangerous.
The riders know what is safe or dangerous NOT the guys who sit in the office. It's obvious that motorcycles and walls don't mix. This track needs to change or we shouldn't race there until it does.
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

New update:
Doctors just came out and informed us that he has a serious break in his ankle leg bone area. He will be having surgery tomorrow on his leg/ankle at 10am. They are inserting a permanent plate in his ankle with screws.

His internal conditions are ok and the surgery was successful. He suffered a severe bowel injury and has to have a couple more surguries to clean things out.

We will be seeing him in a little bit to talk with him.

Matt Hall dropped off Brians trophies with his girlfriend tonight. It was nice to see him and thanks Matt.
I'll let everyone know what he says in a little bit.
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

eightonezero

gonecrazy

r1owner

Wow... sorry to read this..  My prayers are with him.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this, but I'm glad it's not worse.

Get well soon Brian.

Jack_Brock

My prayers are with Brian and his family.

I saw where Brian Lacy hit the wall, was it the same area, or somewhere else?
www.caferacerinc.com
GP Expert #914

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

His back is ok after xrays.
I'm not familiar with Brian Lacy's crash. It was after cresting the top of the hill just as he was getting on the brakes for T1.

I'm trying to boot up our data acquisition screen but it was damage heavily in the crash.
I can see what might have happened.
Matt Hall was behind him a short ways and said all he saw was a puff of smoke come from the front tire as he crested the hill. He also saw (along with several team witnesses) that he hit the wall back first.
His bike was destroyed in the crash. If you see the front end it might give you a mental picture of how hard he hit the wall.

We still haven't seen him yet. We are waiting to talk with him.

He did say that he tucked the front end and possibly got on the brakes too hard as he crested the hill and locked the front tire.
More news as we find out....

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racrx451

heard this thruout the paddock... he is in my thoughts.. hope he makes a full recovery from a horrible crash. 
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

dylanfan53

Sorry to read this but thanks for posting the info.  
Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery for Brian.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Andi

My thoughts and prayers are with Brian as well and wish him a speedy recovery. Unfortunate that this had to happen to show the officials why the new configuration is safer.

It's been a bad 2 weeks for us as we had a off roading incident on the way back from Barber AMA Nationals on I-65.
Mike fell asleep behind the wheel just north of Indianapolis and we barely survived a near rollover incident. The pulling truck was heavily damaged and the new trailer (just 2 weeks old) was also damaged. The trailer was still useable but the truck needed serious repair.

Brian, Mike and I were all in the truck when it happened. I was watching a movie on my lap top in the passenger seat while Mike was driving & Brian was sleeping in the back seat when we went in the middle of the highway.
Talk about freaky. I feel the truck bouncing around and I look up to see us going in the ditch in the middle of the highway. I reached over and grabbed to wheel and steered the truck as it was about to jackknife while pulling a 24' loaded trailer. We took out appoximately 40-50 metal stakes that hold the steel cable inbetween the highway. We were able to pull the truck back up the highway and get it pulled over on the right side of the road. That happened at 12:30 am on Monday morning last week.
The truck was severly damaged on the left side and the trailer was damaged on the front and whole left side. The bikes where fine as the strapless stands did their job.

Thanks to the Stilles who drove front 57 over to 65 to pick us up as we were standed on the highway at a truck stop. They got us back to chicago. I was having hallucenations of driving off the road again while trying to fall asleep in their RV.
They went down on Monday all day to pick up the trailer & come back with another truck while I went back to Oshkosh to work at my shop. They got back Monday night and I drove back down to their place to pick up his B bike for some work we had a engine problem and it needed to be rebuilt before leaving for practice on Wednesday for Topeka. I pulled off a couple of sleepless nights building his bike & working my shop.

Driving out to Topeka was tough for me as I left at  6pm Wednesday night with my amatuer rider Jaegger & his wife Kristine with my trailer. I couldn't sleep before my drivng shift as I was hallucinating again about crashing in the ditch so I got no sleep from Wednesday 8am to Thursday night at 10pm after practice day in Topeka! 38hrs of staying awake was too much for me.
We had a pretty good weekend as Brian brought home 11 awards and Tommy Girard placed very well on his new bikes. Brian did very well this weekend at Topeka as he went 2 seconds faster per lap than last season here.
It's been a very long couple weeks for the team and from what it looks like Brian won't be racing for at least 2-3 months as he heals his injuries. My wishes go out to him & his family for a speedy recovery.
Special thanks to Paul Ducato, Matt Hall & family, Jaeger & Kristine Freundenthal for their help at the track & hospital.

More updates very soon on Brian.....