News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

To everyone who was at CMP this past weekend (4/11-12)

Started by Chris410, April 14, 2008, 10:27:08 AM

kl3640

I'm not trying to start a debate here, because apparently the word of the corner workers is inviolable and unimpeachable, but what bothers me is the lack of consistency.  I can't even count how many times I've been passed under waving yellow, and not once did I ever notice a penalty in the results.  And your claim of my passing being dangerous is patently false.  That guy was so far off line that it was ridiculous.  If he swerved, then maybe he got spooked, but not because I was anywhere near close to him, either side-to-side or front-to-back.  It was a very clean pass, and only occurred because he went off line and chopped the throttle.  So what was I supposed to do, chop the throttle myself and let someone else rear end me?

However, this time, when the station leading up to the incident had a STANDING yellow (no matter what you say, it was, because I asked 2 other riders on the same lap at the same time, 1 in front of me and one in back, who all concurred that the approaching flag was STANDING - one even went to tell Phil what he saw because he felt it to be such a travesty), and the station after the incident only was waving, the rider getting passed was off-line and slowing down rapidly, and visibility was crap anyway between the rain and foggy visors, I can't believe that you considered it dangerous.  You'll note that I did NOT hammer the throttle or go off line to make the pass.  He couldn't have possibly swerved to avoid me because he was so far off line that I didn't have to stuff him.  THe pass happened mostly because he was off line and slowing down rapidly.

Riders don't only care about the green and checkered flags, believe it or not - if you ever have raced, you know that, and you'd also know that keeping track of such a situation while you're trying to race, especially in horrible weather conditions with poor visibility, is very difficult.

The bottom line is that a rule is a rule, and I understand that, but your guys selective enforcement of them is ridiculous.  I'm willing to bet that had I and the passed individual had a single digit white plate and not a triple digit yellow plate that the penalty wouldn't have been given.

I'm glad that you take your job so seriously and are concerned for safety, but don't mistake it for giving you some sort of discretionary authority.  If you haven't already, maybe you should race a little, especially in heavy rain, and see what it's like.  Racing at any time is literally putting your life on the line, let alone in those types of track conditions, and so to have a rule arbitrarily applied like that is an insult.

Cornerman

I appreciate your comments and concerns. That was far better than the previous posts. I understand you are/was upset about that penalty. I can't speak of the other corner workers views or enforcement of such things. However I can speak of my own. In my own judgement concerning the matter it would not have made a difference to me what plate the bike had or would have had. I treat all bikes/riders equally when it comes down to rule enforcement. Safety is our utmost concern.
I  understand your views on selective enforcement. No one or no organization is perfect. There is always room for improvement. Perhaps this brings to light an issue that needs attention. Again I can't speak for the workers at those times. However I understand your frustration in that. Perhaps you should bring this to the appropriate people at that time so that they can investigate your claims. Maybe you did and did not get the results you wanted at those times pervious to this event..
. The station at 5 should not have had a flag out because the accident was before their turn. If they were then they were in error for doing so.
I commend all riders for even competing. It is not a cheap sport nor is it a 100% safe one. I know that you care about racing and pay attention to flags(more than just green/checker) The conditions were not good that day. I commend you for even being out there!Most times riders would rather stay in the paddock.
I'm sorry you feel insulted about this. I don't think anyone would enjoy having a penalty enforced on them no matter what the case. But even more so if you believe in your heart of hearts you didn't commit such a violation of the rules. The director or ref. talked to me and asked what I saw. I gave him the information. I do not have the right to enforce rules I only report violations. Based on what I reported he felt it appropriate to enforce penalty.
I will end my debate here by only by wishing you all the success in your racing career and this season. Racers are a rare breed. I have the best seat in the house and enjoy you guys/gals. Some of the best people I have met have been at CCS.

kl3640

First, you never need to tell me if my messages are "better" or not than previous posts.

Listen, the corner station at the top of the hill, on the left, leading in to the Carousel, had a standing yellow flag in it, no matter what you say.  If, by your own admission, the station inside the carousel had no flag, then where is the logic there as it's closer to the incident and actually visible from within the turn, through the riders' lines of sight, where as the station on entry is seen only when approaching the entry to the carousel?  I could see either both of them having flags, or the one inside having a flag without the one on the approach, but not the other way around.  If someone attempted a pass within plain site of the inside station, then that would be more dangerous than doing so earlier as that was where the accident happened and the rider/bike was down!  If you go by the first station, then don't see a flag at the second station, you might attempt a move right where the accident happened!

I started from literally the last row in the grid, on the inside no less (where I was jammed up with traffic going in to 1), and battled back in those miserable conditions to the top 5.  I could understand the penalty if I had done something empirically wrong, such as jumping the start - but I didn't.  The fact is that for some reason you felt compelled penalize me.  Curiously, you did not penalize the Expert rider who passed me on the small straight leading up to the carousel, even though your station was well within view, being on the left side at the end of the straight.  So if you had a waving yellow flag, as you claim (but none of the other riders there at the time will support), why then did you not report him?  BTW, he was one of the other riders who confirmed that the yellow flag was standing at that time.

One thing is for sure, and that is that there is absolutely no room in the mind of CCS to question a corner worker.  I wish that I would have had a camera on my bike that day to prove what happened - but it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway.  I couldn't even file an appeal because appeals against such penalties are not allowed!

And yes, no league is perfect, but some are better than others.  I think that very few people here would disagree that CCS has a LOOOONG way to go towards consistency in rules enforcement.  I for one know that if someone passes me under waving yellow next time, I'm going to say something, and raise hell if nothing is done about it.

SVbadguy

When MARRC is cornerworking races ie at Summit Point, two workers must witness such an infraction for a penalty to be enforced.