News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What's with the rain?

Started by spyderchick, March 07, 2003, 11:21:02 AM

spyderchick

You know, you guys and gals all have me knee deep in leather, and the only pleasure I thought I would have today was watching the races from Daytona...and it goes and rains like a mofo. Who's fault is it??? Hmmm??? Someone own up.

(spyderchick exits muttering underneath her breath)
Fine, I'll just go finish some more work.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

the_weggie_man

Hey, since I didn't make the trip south this year I figured, hell, I'll take the afternoon off work and watch the races at home. NO SUCH LUCK!!

I burned half a day vacation for nuttin'.  >:(  But ....
I could have burned three or four days for nothin' if I had gone down there so ... ;D ;D

Hopefull the weather will improve by the 27th when I go to Jennings,FL  for the first WERA Nat'l Challenge race with Jesse. 8)

motomadness

Just think, if it didn't rain that hard, but was still a little wet, Matt Wait may have really given the full factory racers a go for it.  I hope to see him perform well this year.  Besides, he is one of ours (2002 FUSA Grand National Champion).

TreyBone

Those AMA punks should have to run in the rain like we do >:(

r6_philly

QuoteThose AMA punks should have to run in the rain like we do >:(

I didn't hear speed channel mentioning that we CCS/FUSA raced in the rain and had lots of fun...

ice

World Superbike, 125GP, 250GP, motoGP, WERA, CCS and every other motorcycle racing organization races in the rain.  Why didn't the AMA races go on today?

The similarities to NASCAR are making me sick.

r6_philly

QuoteWorld Superbike, 125GP, 250GP, motoGP, WERA, CCS and every other motorcycle racing organization races in the rain.  Why didn't the AMA races go on today?

The similarities to NASCAR are making me sick.

I thought they would remember what happened at Loudon... wait they do remember, thats why they canceled the races because the factory guys will get their a$$ handed to them... in the rain, the equipment advantage is probably not as much as they would like it to be. We might actually see a privateer in the top 5... Its a disgrace, not race in the rain

Super Dave

Racing in the rain at Daytona for CCS stuff "might" be ok...

But to expect AMA pro guys to go destroy their career and hit the wall, each other, etc.  would not be good for the teams, the sport, and the riders.

Look how bad the crashes have been in the dry at Daytona?  

First things first...

Compare your best time to their best times...  Where do you find that time?  You've got to lay it out there.  The reality of racing a motorcycle at that level can be pretty chaotic.  

So, I think that it is reasonable for Daytona to hold off the races.  And Daytona is the promoter...that's why there was no mention of CCS.
Super Dave

Protein Filled

I agree with Dave that the level of competition that they are at and the speeds that they carry would make it dangerous to race at Daytona when wet. The AMA will race in the rain at other tracks, so I don't think that it's because they are afraid a privateer would do well.

Sometimes it amazes me that CCS will race there in the rain. It's a lot better now with the new chicane, but the track is still slippery as hell when wet. I crashed and fractured my elbow coming out of the old chicane back in 92 when I hit a small wet area while barely leaned getting back onto the banking and I was going slow at the time.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

EX#996

Nothing to do with racing....

...but today I would rather have the rain vs. the 6" of snow we are supposed to accumulate today (3" so far and counting).

Oh yeah....  Spring starts on March 21st.   ::)

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

r6_philly

QuoteSo, I think that it is reasonable for Daytona to hold off the races.  And Daytona is the promoter...that's why there was no mention of CCS.

actually, most of the interviews showed during rain delay were filmed in front of the CCS/FUSA victory circle.

And for the rain... I suppose it is understandable for them to hold it off. but also knows that there are other reasons MORE than just the safety. Everyone will risk their lifes and safety. And it DOESN'T and SHOULDN'T mean the factory guys are worth more. That is the message that I have a problem with. I am worth more than many factory rider in many ways except for racing... does that mean I shouldn't ride in the rain?

Privateers have normal lives and contribute to our society in other ways. If that logic, the Professional Entertainers(factory riders) should ride in the rain and we shouldn't.

r6_philly

further more, the Pro's don't have to destroy themselves. If they had to be held back by someone other than themselves, there is something wrong with the picture.

My best laptime is slower than them crusing around the track, but does it REALLY mean that it is more dangerous for them? Not. Maybe I have a bike with no shocks, 3 year old brake pads, crappy tires and no sense at all. Thats why amatuers crash more. Not because of speed and laptime, but the discipline. If a pro feel dangered by the condition, but have to push beyond his limits nontheless, then I give them sympathy and again feel fortunate that I will never have to be a professional athelete of any sort...

I raced in the rain, because I chose to, and it was fun for me. I suppose I get more out of racing than a pro does.