News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Homestead Air Fence Donations Needed

Started by d-wire, March 30, 2008, 04:21:51 PM

d-wire

Hey guys, wanted everyone to get it on this deal.  We are putting together a deal with the riders, Henry DeGouw,Homestead Miami Speedway and Roadracing World Action Fund to get some air fence for the Turn 7 wall at Homestead.  All riders will benefit from this safety, so we'd like to see everyone donate.   More info in these threads from the JenningsGp forum, but if you can help.......by donating $50, $100 ...whatever you can......you can make your check payable to the Roadracing World Action Fund.  Put in the "memo" section that your check is for the "Homestead turn 7" and you can send your check to

Daniela Dwyer
P.O. Box 7954
Jupiter FL 33468-7954

or bring your check to the JenningsGp round and give it to Henry Degouw.  Thanks and here are the threads for more info

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13480

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13982&start=0

Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

SRobertson

Hey D,

You can count me in for $1,000 if that gets $1,000 out of Henry's pocket...Just kidding.  He knows I love him. <g>

Now if we could only get a big foam pit at the bottom of T10....

Scott

d-wire

lol.....yeah, last time I saw him open that wallet.......a couple spider webs fell out.  We need to take advantage of this opportunity...LOL

This will be awesome for all the riders.  Just a little piece of mind for everyone and it WILL help someone at some point.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

d-wire

Guys, I know this is a little "Jerry Maguire" ....but.....

we've all been beat up.  We've all had friends beat up.....and said to them " If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!".  Knowing full well, there isn't anything you can really do.  Well, now you can,.....BEFORE someone gets hurt.  Someday ,...someone ...will ask for the list of guys that contributed towards this air fence.....to thank them all personally. 
FL region #2

kl3640

How much will the total cost for this project be and how far along are you?  I think that a goal would help potential donors make a decision.

I would consider making a donation AND matching some peoples' donations up to a limit, say $250 personally and $250 matching.  Also, is the RRWAF a 503(c) charity?  Because the tax deduction would help.

Do I have to send a check, or can you take credit card, paypal, etc?  Thanks.

p.s.  Whatever Henry donates I will match up to $250...seriously, no joke (for donations in response to my offer, not past contributions).

d-wire

Its my understanding that it IS tax deductible....which is one of the reasons we are going to do this through the RRAF.  They are set up for it.  RIght now, Henry is trying to get the money from HOmestead Miami Speedway.  They have said they would put $25000 towards it.  As soon as we have that money, I am going to tell Henry how much the riders have put up....(approx $2500-$3000 right now) and Henry is going to match that ...and at that time, it will be put through the RRAF.

SO, that puts us around $30,000 and Henry is going to try and get some more help....so we are shooting for enough money to get 150ft of the stuff or so to start with.  This stuff is really expensive.  Henry had thought it was going to be about $45,000 to do the 300ft that we would have liked.....but it turns out the stuff is around $40,000 for 150ft.  Expensive, just like everything else in racing.  SO, as you can see we do need some more money, and now is the time to donate....cause Henry will double what we come up with.  SO,  if guys were to donate another $1000 right now......the old man would have to come off his wallet for another $1000.  Hope this makes sense. 

Im a terrible politician, (and only 1/2 a decent rider) just saw a need as many riders didn't like the idea of driving towards a wall at 120mph so close to the track. I want all the riders to know exactly where we stand, so it's good that you asked for more specifics.
FL region #2

d-wire

got over $1000 more towards it today.  Unbelievable contribution from SRObertson.  Thanks Scott.
FL region #2

kl3640

I applaud your efforts, this is an incredibly important thing that you're doing, which can't be easy between work, family life, and race prep, to coordinate all of this.

I will be sending a check to the above address this week.

d-wire

very cool.  Yeah, its been a little crazy........I'll give you guys an update in a day or two.  They should be ordering the stuff.  And they tell me that we WILL have an air fence in place for the next round.   :thumb:
FL region #2

kl3640

There was an update given by Henry at Jennings this week.  Can you update all here, as I don't want to get it wrong.  Thanks.

d-wire

Yeah, definetly.  Henry tells me that Homestead Miami Speedway has made the order on the barrier.  They found this stuff that is a little cheaper.  Its a type of foam and very cool.  I checked it out in person with Henry. It is really soft and will work great for motorcycles.  It is possible that Homestead is going to pay for the entire thing.  Henry wants to basically wait and see if they request the money from the riders.........but, it looks like they are going to pay for the whole project.   Its not that much more than what they had committed to.  This is good news.

The whole project would never have happened if the riders didn't make it a priority and show how important it is to them by raising money towards it.  If they pick up the whole thing, all the checks will be returned.  I appreciate all the efforts.  They tell me there WILL be barriers in place at the next race.   I will let you guys know asap ...if they request the money from us. 
FL region #2

vnvbandit

d-wire.... you be the man!
If it wasn't for you, taking the bull by the horns, nothing would have happened!
My hats off to you!  :thumb:
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

d-wire

I guess we can take this off the "sticky" as it has been taken care of. 

But, I want to let you guys know that you helped save a life this past CCS FL weekend.  A guy crashed hard and hit the air fence going very fast.  He totalled his motorcycle and may have fractured his foot, but he was very thankful to everyone who donated and really felt like it saved his life.  We both got the chills as he told the story.  So it has payed off already. 

If you guys hadn't got behind this.......we wouldn't be able to have these good feelings about this guy.  Im sure there will be more that are helped.  Great job guys
FL region #2

spyderchick

Good job! Glad to see your efforts paid off.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".