News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

shattered clavicle question

Started by zeroice, March 20, 2008, 05:18:50 PM

zeroice

Kl3640:
My doc said there was hardly any muscle tissue around the clavicle area where the plate is installed so recovery is very short. I believe it will be the same for removing it. I mean, it has been 8 days for me and I'm moving around and about. It hurts but not out of control. The 6th day after surgery I was even able to lift my hand above my head and hold it for a minute. I just wonder if the pain is worth having it removed.
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

Gixxerblade

Quote from: Jason748 on March 21, 2008, 12:34:39 AM
Well... I've got titanium plates on both mine  :biggrin:
Two year ago broke my left clavicle, it was severely displaced and I ended up getting it plated.  Healed great, no issues.
At the end of this last year I shattered my right clavicle, and got it plated with-in a week.  Again healed great with no issues.

My Otho who who has done "a few" plates for motorcycle guys (mostly MX) has recommended that I have both of mine removed if I am to continue racing.  He told me that if I were to cash in a way that puts enough pressure on the clavicle to break it, that with the plate(s) still in place the chances of a axial break (parallel to the plate) or breaking off one of the ends is very high and those type of breaks are much harder to repair and require longer to fully recover from.  By removing the plates it significantly reduces the chance of either of those types of breaks, and if it breaks, again, without the plates it would most likely break next to the previous break and would be easier to repair.

So it's looking like I'll be having both plates removed towards the end of the year, but I haven't decided for sure yet.
I am in the same boat. My ortho said pretty much the same thing. I will schedule to remove. He said the recovery time is not nearly as long becasue after you have it removed all you have is where the screws were to heal up. Also if you smoke, STOP! It kills the bone cells that are trying to heal you bone.

ccs117

Clavicle in four pieces.... I got a plate and nine screws.  I so far haven't reinjured the area, but have fallen on it.  My understanding is that is would be possible to break on either side of the plate end, but if removed it could break anywhere.  I'll take my chances and leave it alone.  Besides those screws were like $450/piece.  I realize I'll get them to keep if they remove them, but I'd probably just loose them.  I can't afford to loose any more screws.

Jason748

Quote from: kl3640 on March 22, 2008, 08:13:26 PM
Jason748, did your doctor discuss surgical risk vs. the risk of leaving the plates in?  I'm wondering because a lot of what I had to recover from with my wrist surgery was the 3 inch incision and the damage it did to muscle tissue and ligaments; so other than the atrophy caused by being in a cast for 6 weeks, that was the other reason that I needed so much physical therapy.

Yes,  the Dr and I had a very long conversation about the risks of both ways.  As Kris mentioned there is (by comparison with a wrist/hand) very little muscle around the clavicle area and the risk of atrophy/ ligament damage/ infection is very small.  Also I have been told that the recover time for having the plates removed is very short.  I tend to believe this because with both my operations to install the plates I had a full range of movement and could use my arms within a week, but was limited to little to no weight for the first 4-6 weeks.  No real Physical therapy was required, but it did take about 10-12 weeks before I was at 100% strength again, but I was at 90% real quick it was just that last 10%.

But it is surgery and there are always risks...

I can also say that the bone pills Dave recommends work!  I took them both times and my doctor was surprised at the rapid re-growth of the bone.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

erock768

There is still an underlying issue here that I feel no one has mad a significant point about. As individual, you make a decsion to race, and indoing so you assume the risks inherrent to the sport. Now, i hate to put everything into perpective, but just from my own experiences, you have to ask yourself if the risks are worth it.

We are all incredibly driven individuals who love the sport and can't see ourselves not being on the track, however, it always must be seen as a dangerous activity.  I can't speak much for the medical complications of reinjuring parts of your body that are held together with plates, but what I can speak of is just plain reinjuring your body. After any serious injury (Break, fracture, ect) the bones, muscle, tissue never fully recover, and to reinjure it you risk permannant and in some cases catastrophic damage. I've seen it with my father who damaged his knees road racing and then reinjured them. Both knees needed to be replaced later on in his life.

I think that after any injury you have to analyze whether the risks to your body are worth it. For most of us, we heal, rehabilitate, and get back on the bike, never entertaining the possibility of another get off. (I mean, who would want to think about it anyway, we all know it happens sooner or later.)

I know all this was a little disjointed, but I just wanted to give my two cents. Its one thing to be chasing the superbike championship and its another to be chasing a $5 plaque. In any case, I wish you good luck and good health.
Eric Moore Racing LLC
CCS / USGPRU  Ex # 768
diesel killer

ahastings

be careful about moving it too much too soon. The plate gives you a false sense of security. When I broke mine 2 yrs ago I had it plated and my Ortho didn't want me moving it for 4 -6 wks because even though the plate is holding everything in place it takes that long for the bones to actually mend . I did race 4 wks after my surgery agsinst the orders of my doctor though- Nobody said racers were smart. I was wondering the same thing as you about having it removed but my doctor recomended against it unless I have problems with it.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Gbord

Sorry to hear about the injury Krishna,  sounds like your doing well though.  It's an interesting decision you bring up, ultimately up to each individual.  I hope by the time I'm 45 or 50 and having to to "pay" for the wild and crazy days, that the nano-technology will be up to speed and a new shoulder, knee, lung, whatever, will be as easy as a new sub-frame. Here's to wishful thinking!  :cheers:    See you at CMP!  ???
Begin it now.