News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racing in the rain for AMs

Started by james-redsv, March 06, 2003, 05:55:57 AM

james-redsv

What do you Ams do when it rains? Last year was my first racing and I just stayed home when it was raining(one event). This year I would like to at least show up and get points for a few laps. The real question is do the Ams go to the trouble of putting on rain tires or just go slow on say Pirelli supercorsas? I know the Experts are more hard core and use rain tires, but what do most Ams do? ;)

Nate R

Ams that run in the rain usually use rain tires. Using the DOT near-slicks in full rain  would be INSANE.

Lots of people, ESP ams don't stick around during the rain, opening up a better potential finish for me :)

Seriously, I REALLY like riding in the rain, and will be out there either way. I'd like to think I have a good amount of wet weather confidence, but we'll see about that. (It's my first year)

Show up and race, not just "do a few laps"

Get rain tires, and get out there, and spray up some rooster tails!

:P

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

harb990

It really depends on time and money - last race of season at Gateway I went out with unscrubbed d208's for the first race, I figured what the hell, kept it straight up and down and was easy on the throttle  ;D

I could really not afford to buy rain tires, switch off my 208's and then switch backlater in the day when it dried out.  This year I have a spare set of rims to put rains on if it comes to that.  :D

james-redsv

Yea, thats what I was wondering, I dont want to cough up the extra cash for rain tires and then have to scramble trying to change back and forth. Maybe if I win the lotto I can get extra rims and rain tires. ;D

r6_philly

Last year at Daytona, it rained on Sunday and only a few people had rain tires.

this year forecast called for rain, so almost everyone had rain tires. most of those rode slower in the rain, but the front runners rode pretty hard. I was no more competitive in the rain than in the dry, and I love rain races. And these people will have rain tires all year, and the experience of having ridden in the rain at Daytona, so watch out if you are from their regions :)

ecumike

Last year was my first racing.
It rained when I went to Summit, I raced 3 of my 5 races in the rain, with 207GPs. I wasn't gonna be no  champion or anything, so I didnt feel like the need to spend money on rain tires when I didn't know how much I'd end up using them, and also I didn't want to risk a wreck riding in the rain, so that's why I only went for 3 of 5

r6_philly

QuoteLast year was my first racing.
It rained when I went to Summit, I raced 3 of my 5 races in the rain, with 207GPs. I wasn't gonna be no  champion or anything, so I didnt feel like the need to spend money on rain tires when I didn't know how much I'd end up using them, and also I didn't want to risk a wreck riding in the rain, so that's why I only went for 3 of 5

I got my best finish up til that point on that weekend in Summit in July, when it rained. I used 207GP as well. But my buddy went and got rain tires, then won the race. I will be using rains all season, 3 races in Daytona didn't really wear them out much, I think they will last a whole season as long as I never use them on a drying track.

Xian_13

QuoteYea, thats what I was wondering, I dont want to cough up the extra cash for rain tires and then have to scramble trying to change back and forth. Maybe if I win the lotto I can get extra rims and rain tires. ;D
Go to ebay!
Thats where I got my spares from!
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

r6_philly

if you are a front runner, or have a chance at top 5, then having a set of rain tires is very important. Because a lot of other AM's may not have rains, or want to ride in the rain, especially in the races that are later in the day, you may be able to finish well, and get contigency money if you are willing to go out, and have rains. a set of rains should last a long time on a 600, as long as you dont ride it on dry lines. besides, I already paid about the same amount of money for entry fees, I would feel really cheated if I can't go race because it rained... But then I have 3 sets of rims, so I keep the rains permenantly mounted, and it only takes about 2 minutes to switch tires.

ecumike

I agree.. if you got the cash, rains definitely help.. in our GTL race, lap ~12-14 I got lapped by the first 3 AMs b/c they had rains. I came in 5th.

Super Dave

Rain tires!  

Years ago, you weren't allowed to ride in Supersport classes with rain tires when it was raining.  

It was changed because of safety.  

Rain tires work.  DOT's in the rain is like riding with knobbies on pavement.  

And besides, how much does a set of bodywork, pegs, bars cost?  
Super Dave

Baltobuell

And leathers, helmet, trip to X-ray.
 I bought a set in Daytona just in time for the sun to come out. I'm real curious as to how they hold. Anybody have a understanding if they tend to grip more like old race tires with a gentle drift or do they grip like crazy to a point they give up all at once? Can ya tell I'm hydrophobic?