News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Cordless Impact - Whats a good option?

Started by APP_Racing, February 23, 2008, 08:05:05 PM

APP_Racing

What do people recommend for a good cordless Impact.  Would like to have something that is lightweight but can handle front sprockets, etc...  Also something that has batteries that can swap into a cordless drill would be nice.

What do you like?
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

benprobst

Quote from: APP_Racing on February 23, 2008, 08:05:05 PM
What do people recommend for a good cordless Impact.  Would like to have something that is lightweight but can handle front sprockets, etc...  Also something that has batteries that can swap into a cordless drill would be nice.

What do you like?

Snap-On 18V. The Dewalt is good, but the impact isnt even in the same league, however the Dewalt drill is comparable to the snap on drill, maybe even better.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

kl3640

The Snap-On is excellent, but you pay for it.  IIRC it costs as much without the battery pack as other brands do with the battery pack included (at least that's list price, anyway).  I believe that the battery packs are interchangeable with certain other Snapon cordless tools.  I bought the Bosch because all of my other cordless tools are Bosch and the batteries are interchangeable.  So far I'm very pleased with the Bosch - really great torque and battery life.  I have a friend who brings his Panasonic to the the pits and I've used it plenty.  It seems to work well, but not nearly as much torque as the Snapon or the Bosch; however, it's much less expensive, the torque is sufficient for anything I've had to do in the pits, and I believe that they make other cordless tools as well, which might use the same battery packs.

bambam

+ 1 for the snap on stuff. it is definatly worth the money and the batteries are interchangeable with other snap on tools. 

Court Jester

I've done a lot of work with Toyota and Ford helping to streamline assembly processes. Both use Milwaukee cordless impacts in their plant on the assembly lines. They get used around the clock, dropped, kicked, stepped on, and I've seen one used as a hammer and they keep on plugging away. As all my Dewalt and Craftsman stuff is wearing out I've started replacing everything with Milwaukee.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

resurection

APP_Racing

Been looking at the Milwaukee brand, need to compare to Snap-On.  I assume you are referencing the 18v series?
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

benprobst

Quote from: APP_Racing on February 24, 2008, 08:30:29 AM
Been looking at the Milwaukee brand, need to compare to Snap-On.  I assume you are referencing the 18v series?

The Milwaukee 18v impact is similar to the DeWalt, good but thats about it. Ive used all three heavily in my job as a heavy duty tractor trailer mechanic, where tools are abused, and neither can hold a candle to the Snap On. With the Snap On you also get PERSONAL support of your tools, as they come from an independent supplier whos business is to sell you tools for the rest of your life, so they keep you happy. Anthony, if you dont have a Snap On man let me know, ill get you in touch with my guy, or if youre sure youre going with the snap on I could just put the order in for you.

And just as a note, DeWalt makes an awesome 3/8 impact that is great for small jobs, for some reason it is signifacantly better than the 1/2.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

APP_Racing

Thanks Ben, do you know what the Snap-On runs ($).  Found a sight that sells refurbed Milwaukees but not sure of the price difference.  Would likely want the impact and drill as well.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

benprobst

Quote from: APP_Racing on February 24, 2008, 11:38:29 AM
Thanks Ben, do you know what the Snap-On runs ($).  Found a sight that sells refurbed Milwaukees but not sure of the price difference.  Would likely want the impact and drill as well.

Ill give my dealer a call. Ill call you this week.
Home of the GSXR 565

frskbm1

i wish i could remember what we used in the old days

dylanfan53

Don Cook
CCS #53

kl3640

For the 18V 1/2" drive: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=power&Group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store

For other sizes (14.4V 3/8" drive, etc.): http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catalog2.asp?tool=power&Cat_ID=121069&Cat_NAME=Power+Tools%2C+Cordless&Sub_Cat_ID=121070&Sub_Cat_NAME=Impact+Wrenches&store=snapon-store

How much you will actually wind up paying depends on how good a break your local rep gives you.  If you don't already do a lot of business with Snap-On, you might try to find a friend who does and see what deal he can get from his local rep.  They are also on eBay, but I wouldn't do that as you're better off having a relationship with a local rep in case it ever breaks while under warranty (I don't remember the SnapOn warranty term for cordless tools).

SnapOn is the best, but personally, I wouldn't spend a lot on a cordless impact wrench for the pits for motorcycle racing, as smaller/less expensive units get the job done, I don't need monster torque for bikes (and I use a torque wrench for high-torque apps anyway), and I'd hate for a $500 SnapOn to walk away in the pits, where as I wouldn't care about a $100 Panasonic.  Of course, if you're going to be using this at home/shop and not just the pits, then that's a different story.

Another thing that I've seen done, for the kind of money that you're talking about spending, is getting a small portable compressor.  That can be used not just for impact tools and other pneumatic tools, but also for tires, etc.  I've seen small electric ones that put out sufficient CFM for pneumatic tools, and they're fairly inexpensive.  Same with the small gas powered units.

I'm not recommending that to you, unless you think that you're going to use a lot of air tools; I'm just pointing it out as an alternative.

cardzilla

Before you buy a Snap-on...

I'm a tech for a living and I almost every tool in my Snap-on box is a snap-on tool, however, I don't recommend the cordless impact.  First, they are known to shear their shanks off regularly.  Second, I don't believe it will take off a front sprocket consistently... nor do I think any cordless will.  I researched for a while and realized that for the heavy duty stuff you really just need a real impact gun so throw top end torque out of the equation.  Now what you need is something with a reasonable amount of torque that's lightweight, easy to use and is preferably inexpensive.  I ended up with the Ryobi one series cordless impact and I have to tell you I've been impressed with it.  The drive shank is removable (quick coupling) so you can use a 1/4", 3/8" or a 1/2" drive, the torque is enough to take off most any bolt 14mm or under (about 75 ft-lbs), it's taken a severe beating for over a year and it's never quit... and perhaps most importantly: it is UNDER $100 for the tool and a double charger at Home Depot.  Add another $5 and it's warrantied for 3 years.  This is just my .02, but another tech at our shop bought the Snap-on and was just consistently disappointed when he couldn't take off lug nuts (or anything else in that catagory) and was reduced to using it for the same things I use my much smaller (and cheaper) Ryobi. 
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

tzracer

Do you really need one?

I race  125 and probably change front sprockets more than most people. I just use a large 1/2" ratchet, and place a rag covered piece of wood or metal bar through the rear wheel to hold it in place. I have used this technique on every bike I have ever owned. Never had a problem.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Z-man

Do you already own a cordless drill?  Is it 18V?  Many times the batteries are interchangable.  I have a DeWalt drill, shop vac and impact wrench that all use the same 18V battery.  Snapon stuff is pretty expensive, I have had good success with DeWalt products.  Only thing I wish I had on the impact wrench would be a variable speed.  It almost clicks on and off, so when I try to remove bolts on my clutch basket it is the same torque and speed as when I try to remove my axle bolt.

Think about what brand you are most comfortable with and start filling your garage with their 18v products.
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

dahustler

If you want a good strong cordless whose battery is interchangeable with other good strong tools the Milwaukee is the best. I have the new 28v Lithium cordless impact. Bang for the buck its the best. Front and rear sprockets no problem. I work on semi trailers It takes the wheel nuts off no problem. Its the best to I own period! I own Makitas, Dewalts, and Snap-ons. I like the Milwaukees the best.
David Vaughn
ccs mw ex#27
TrackdayMag.com Racing
Chitown Hustlers

benprobst

Quote from: dahustler on February 27, 2008, 05:28:53 PM
If you want a good strong cordless whose battery is interchangeable with other good strong tools the Milwaukee is the best. I have the new 28v Lithium cordless impact. Bang for the buck its the best. Front and rear sprockets no problem. I work on semi trailers It takes the wheel nuts off no problem. Its the best to I own period! I own Makitas, Dewalts, and Snap-ons. I like the Milwaukees the best.

The Milwaukee's are pretty good. I dont know about 600 ft lbs good, but they are pretty good.
Home of the GSXR 565