Naw, the wife knows about it.  :biggrin:

Best come back all week!  :thumb: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

George_Linhart

Nothing wrong with pictures of a man's polished crank.  Here is mine next to a stocker.

It really is too pretty to be hidden inside the motor.

We also lightened up the main gears.

Now if I can only figure out how to ride to match the abilities of my equipment.

George

TommyG

You two are now on the growing list of racers that are not allowed to bitch about ANYTHING financially related to racing!!  LOL!!!

we now interupt your regularly scheduled programming with a list of reasons why ................`s crank had to be lightened in order to race this year!!
(please fill in the blank with your favorite racers name!) :kicknuts:   

crimsoncloak

How much for the gear lightening?  I have 4~5 sets of gears just like those that need to go on a diet.

George_Linhart

Quote from: crimsoncloak on March 15, 2008, 08:19:40 PM
How much for the gear lightening?  I have 4~5 sets of gears just like those that need to go on a diet.

I think it was somewhere in the $150 - $200 range.  It wasn't exactly cheap and it is not a huge amount of weight that you are reducing - but - I had the motor out and transmission apart so we decided to go ahead and do it.

George

kl3640

Besides changing engine performance, how much does crank-lightening affect required steering/transition effort?  Is that a major reason for why people have their crank's lightened, or is it not really a consideration?  Thanks.

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Boober

Quote from: kl3640 on March 16, 2008, 10:20:55 PM
Besides changing engine performance, how much does crank-lightening affect required steering/transition effort?  Is that a major reason for why people have their crank's lightened, or is it not really a consideration?  Thanks.
On most inline fours it`s not a large part of the reasoning.  I had it done once on an inline four and all I noticed was the increased acceleration.  I have heard that you better have a rain bike without a lightened crank though as it affects wet weather traction!!

tzracer

Quote from: Boober on March 17, 2008, 12:33:28 PM
On most inline fours it`s not a large part of the reasoning.  I had it done once on an inline four and all I noticed was the increased acceleration.  I have heard that you better have a rain bike without a lightened crank though as it affects wet weather traction!!

Lighter crank can have drawbacks in low traction situations (low traction and or high horsepower). Once the rear wheel begins to spin, it spins up very fast. When Eddie Lawson went to Cagiva, one of the first things he did was to get them to add weight to the crank to make the bike easier to ride. It also made the bike faster.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

The crank in question obviously was just against the published rules. 

They, whether it was HRC, American Honda, or Erion did it to improve the performance.  Most likely reasoning would have been as simple as oil shedding and windage.  Obviously, over a 200 mile race, there would be a reasonable advantage that could result given that the rider and chassis were all in order. 

Super Dave

khanson

The thing everyone needs to realize is that at the AMA level when you have riders that can get everything out of a bike.....differences in acceleration and 1-2 hp make a difference.  Placing in the top 10 at AMA costs A LOT....and for top 5 finishes it goes up exponentially.  Teams are literally splitting hairs to find more out of a bike or weighs to shave a few more grams off of a supersport bike.

That's why you see guys on 600's weighing as little as possible...Ben Bostrum even shed 14 lbs. for this year because it makes a big difference on a 600.

The same is not true at club racing.  Horsepower and acceleration typically arent the deciding factor.....a riders talent and experience makes the difference.
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

George_Linhart

Quote from: khanson on March 18, 2008, 12:46:14 PM
The same is not true at club racing.  Horsepower and acceleration typically arent the deciding factor.....a riders talent and experience makes the difference.

I absolutely agree.  At the club level it doesn't matter how much money I throw at my bike, I am going to have to ride my best to even be able to hope for a top 5 finish.  That said, I like to have every advantage that I can get and we have had fun building up my superbike.

The guys who have time to get out on the track and race more often and just get seat time are going to have an advantage over those of us who have jobs that keep us away from the track.

George