News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Those darn Buells

Started by spyderchick, March 03, 2003, 10:00:51 PM

spyderchick

Well, a quick update on the "oil slick" in Sunday's Thunderbike race. Apparently Jeff Johnson's #1 Buell blew up in practice, so he raced his #2 bike. Guess what? His was the bike that caused the red flag that shortened the Thunderbike race.  :o Yup, it blew up. It blew up real good. I'm sure he's not happy. Buells do the darndest things.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

Hardly Ableson?  Man, I just HATE those Buells...  I spent several races last year looking at the back end of one or another, and couldn't do a thing about it.  1200cc Lightweight?  Hmmmmmm...  I've been a corner worker.  The guy who decided a Buell was a lightweight should try to pick one up!  Once we had to move one that was locked up and wadded.  Our only recourse was to stick a wrecking bar through each wheel and have 4 guys pick the bike up and carry it.  My God!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Baltobuell

It takes at least 1200cc to move that much weight and still keep up in lightweight:)
  I guess Jeff Johnson must feel the pressure of the #1 plate and be pushing the limits on setting up tolerances. Sorry to hear that, but I don't think it'll be the last time it happens. In stock displacement they stay together fine, but that's why they have to run with the lightweights. As soon as the rulebook says unlimited displacement they'll pump em up and go pretty darn good,... for a while.

MightyDuc Racing

Quote I spent several races last year looking at the back end of one or another, and couldn't do a thing about it.  1200cc Lightweight?  

You should see the look on their face when a Ducati goes by them on a straightaway like they're in the wrong gear in a Ltwt race.   ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

TZDeSioux

there must not be too many TZ250's running in the LWGP in your  neck of the woods  ;D

MightyDuc Racing

Not in the amateurs anyways.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteYou should see the look on their face when a Ducati goes by them on a straightaway like they're in the wrong gear in a Ltwt race.   ;D
What kind of Ducati would be legal for Lightweight?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quotethere must not be too many TZ250's running in the LWGP in your  neck of the woods  ;D
If you were to ask my opinion last year, I would have told you that a TZ250 should be racing against 600s.  This year I have a 600, so Lightweight is now a FINE class for them...

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteWhat kind of Ducati would be legal for Lightweight?

Air-cooled, 2-valve, up to 1000cc's (excluding 748 model)  I ride a 944 based on an air-cooled 900SS motor with a custom BCM frame.  Sweet bike...big bucks dumped into it by original owner.  Was built for AMA Pro Thunder several years ago.  91 hp at the rear and weighs about 295 lbs.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Baltobuell

I just heard Jeff Johnson's bike dumped oil because of a loose oil filter. Hard to believe something so simple.

Bernie

Aren't you supposed to safety wire them things?

Baltobuell

UH, yeah, maybe the team needs to remember. If you do the simple things right everytime, the rest seems to come together. But he's got a #1 plate so obviously he's got alot more together than I ever will.