Ever put vinyl stickers/lettering on a trailer?

Started by ecumike, March 03, 2003, 12:52:23 PM

roadracer797

I would have to agree with stumpy except for the soap thing, I've put decals on semi trailers with rivets and corragated sides and never once used soap. The trick is to put it on and then go back to each rivet and for me I use my fingernail to go around each one. Make sure that you tape the decal right where you want it before starting. If you would like me to talk to you about how to do it just e-mail me with your phone number and the best time to get a hold of you and I will do it.
Craig

ecumike

Yea guys, making more sense, becoming clearer now, and sounding more do-able. Just a note - this is all individual cut letters and graphics. Not just 1 big white piece of vinyl that was printed on.

All the letters and logo graphics are 'put/place together' with a semi-see-through paper sticker on top.  So when I apply the/each letter by letter, will it stick enough to the trailer that I can pull the top paper 'setting sticker' off of the letters?

Fabri-Tech_Designs

ecumike...
That price doesn't sound too bad for what you got....

Good luck on the install... 8)

TZDeSioux

okay we covered how to put vinyl on trailers. Now how in the hell do you take it off?

Fabri-Tech_Designs

Heat gun, to soften the vinyl and loosen the adhesive, and maybe a plastic scraper of some sort to get the stuff started.  Once a corner is started, careful use of the heat gun and peeling by hand should be good enough to get most of it off.  There is a tool available called the Lil' Chizler, made of a hard plastic with a sharpened edge.  Those plastic razor blades from Lowe's/Home Depot should do the trickas well.  Something like that will help get under the edges of the vinyl.  
Also, something like 3M general Purpose Adhesive Remover, or even denatured alcohol will help remove residue after the vinyl comes off.

At least that's how I would do it... 8)

TZDeSioux

ah heat gun... yes! I tried to take off the stickers in the cold and it was indeed an exercise in futility. Indeed indeed.

MZGirl

QuoteAll the letters and logo graphics are 'put/place together' with a semi-see-through paper sticker on top.  So when I apply the/each letter by letter, will it stick enough to the trailer that I can pull the top paper 'setting sticker' off of the letters?

Tape the sticker to the trailer with masking tape tabs on the top and bottom, about 5 inches apart.  Then start at one end and peel the paper backing off for the first few letters. Cut the paper backing away with an xacto knife.  Then lay the letters on the surface, and press firmly on the opaque paper that's on top.  The peel the opaque paper off up to where you cut the paper backing off, and cut it off.  (The stickers will stick to the trailer, but just be careful when pulling the opaque paper off).  Now you have a few letters stuck to your trailer, with the remainder of the sticker still taped in place.  Remove the next group of tape tabs on the top and bottom and repeat the process for the next few letters.  This way, you keep the same spacing & alignment for the sticker and don't have to free-hand anything.  

This is what I did last weekend, and it turned out great.  Hope this all makes sense.  It's kinda hard to describe.

Elaine

ecumike

Yes Elaine.. makes perfect sense, and yea, I'm finding out it's hard to describe/ask this.

I'll give it a shot.. hell, if I screw up or if it's too hard, then I'll just take it to them and pay 'em $100 to install the rest  :)

merge

The best way to letter it is to tape the decal to the trailer in place where you want it. tape it on the ends so you can adjust it to were you want it. then if they are screw holding your sides on take the ones out that are in the way of your decal.  but if they are rivits just ignore them.and keep the decal on. then get the decal all lined up and straight. then take and tape in the center of the decal top and bottom to the trailer. Now take half the decal at a time working from the center with a squeege and put half of it on. then tke the other half and do that side. the same way. If there are any seams of your trailer the the lettering passes take an sharp knife and cut straight down along the seam. do before you take the transfer paper off.  
If they were screws that you took out then just rub oround the screwww holes and replace the screws taken out.
If they were rivits take a heat gun and apply a little heat were the rivits are and rub around the rivit with your finger then with a squeege. But make sure you dont use to much heat. other wise the vinyl will tear.
What ever you do don't cut the vinyl around the rivits. Because after time vinyl will shrink and it will be very noticable.

Any questions call
Russ Voigt
Ex 555
Flipside Graphics
715-241-9109

ecumike

That was easy.
I got the vinyl last week, and put them on this weekend... no sweat. The letters were easy, didn't use any solution.
Just measured and created a level horizonal baseline, then taped the entire word/sticker to the trailer, lining it up with the baseline, then peeled a couple letters worth of backing off at a time, and pressing them in place.

For the logo/design part I used the soapy water trick, and that made it SOOOO easy.. was able to press it on, remove the top coat, and slightly shift it into place where it needed to me lined up with edges.

Thanks for everyone's help/guidance/feedback/tips on this... it was DEFINITELY worth saving $100 by doing it myself. Took less than 2 hours.

Super Dave

For your next trick...

I'd like to see you do one on my trailer...  I think it's like 4 out today.

WILL SPRING EVER ARRIVE?!>!>!???!
Super Dave

ecumike

QuoteFor your next trick...

I'd like to see you do one on my trailer...  I think it's like 4 out today.

WILL SPRING EVER ARRIVE?!>!>!???!

hehe.. here in North Crapolina it was like 54 today :) and yesterday... 70 :)

VIR here we come!