News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ANYONE HAVE R6 "06" Ride Height specs?

Started by catman, January 30, 2008, 04:28:46 PM

catman

I am trying to get a great start point for a non computor using  buddy - he has a penske shock and axxiom AK 20 forks-  lOOKING FOR DISTANCE OF FORKTUBES ABOVE UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP, EYE TO EYE OF REAR SHOCK dimension- from the faster folks here that remember 06---TIA   cat

Garywc

start out with the rear shock stock length
and the forks if the bike sits higher with the new internals then stock lower it to stock which may be only 2mm (+-)
or set them stock if you arent sure and go from there.
thats seems to be what i have found worked
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

Super Dave

We shortened the aftermarket shock from the stock length and ran the tubes below the top of the upper triple.
Super Dave

catman

Hay Gary thanks- and DAVE , I am going to find out if his shop changed the length - I will  enjoy having your advice because although he is a good club racer, his setup  "suspension install" was done by someone who did only that --- install /but  didn' seem to work with ride height-  called him just know to ask "innovative motorcycles" if they  changed the  shock length- back soon, Thanks to you both! Cat

Scotty Ryan

I will say that it was a general consensus that the rear shock was to long. Everyone that went fast on an 06R6 that I know of had a Graves rear shock lowering clevis and had the forks pushed waaay into the triples!!!! And I'm talking with the longer 25mm Ohlins kit. Otherwise I couldn't get any feel out of the front end - problem is the bike lacks trail stock... Yamaha supposedly addressed this issue for 08.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

mikendzel

Quote from: SCOTTY727 on February 08, 2008, 10:31:28 AM
I will say that it was a general consensus that the rear shock was to long. Everyone that went fast on an 06R6 that I know of had a Graves rear shock lowering clevis and had the forks pushed waaay into the triples!!!! And I'm talking with the longer 25mm Ohlins kit. Otherwise I couldn't get any feel out of the front end - problem is the bike lacks trail stock... Yamaha supposedly addressed this issue for 08.

Scott,
I just checked the trail numbers on the Yamaha site, and both the 2007 and the 2008 have 3.8
I also looked for the Graves lowering clevis on their website and couldn't find it. 
Did Yamaha address the problem in 2007?  I have an 07 and would definitely like to find out more on this.

Scotty Ryan

They may have changed it for 07 - not sure because I rode Suzuki's in 07. But I can say that Mike Fitzgerald(Thermous Man) has said that after testing with the 08's - Yamaha has made huge improvements since 07. And that the bike works much better.

As far as the rear shock clevis goes - we had a hard time getting one - a few guys tried getting them from Graves at some of the AMA rounds and Graves said they didn't have any. Not sure if it cause we talked to them at the right time or cause my mechanic knew people - but we did have one on the bike.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

Quote from: CATMAN on January 30, 2008, 04:28:46 PM
I am trying to get a great start point for a non computor using  buddy - he has a penske shock and axxiom AK 20 forks-  lOOKING FOR DISTANCE OF FORKTUBES ABOVE UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP, EYE TO EYE OF REAR SHOCK dimension- from the faster folks here that remember 06---TIA   cat

Don't forget your variables...

180 rear vs 190 rear.  Different heights and shapes of the manufacturer tires.  You really need a relationship with someone that has some real world experience with the geometry to come to grips with it.

Scotty and I use 4&6.  Others use some other people. 

I changed my rear spring rate a lot from where I started to get it right for me too. 
Super Dave

mikendzel

Not to muddy up the waters (or hijack a thread!) but do any of you run slicks AND dots on the same bike?

I wanted to run both this year and wanted to know how dumb of an idea it is.  Big difference between 190 dot and 195 slick???  Too much work to set suspension each time I swap???  Or could I just swap and ride???

3 of the 4 classes I'm running I can use slicks, I really wanted to try to take advantage of that.

Super Dave

Swap and ride?  Depends on the tire.  Michelin 1800's were like the old S2/H2/M2.  So, you could swap those like two hot, young...ok, I'll stop there...LOL!

If you have the bike very well set up one way, a tire change may change the geometry.  Might not be upright, but it could be leaned over.  You've really got to look at those things closely.  Does that make sense? 

Sometimes, making those changes can improve the bike because it changes the geometry in a way that you weren't thinking about in your original process.  Just like how changing gearing sometimes makes a bike handle better in some areas over the previous gearing as it changes the relationship of the geometry, swingarm pivot location, etc.
Super Dave

resurection

I've recently made differant length dog bones for SV's
Same  idea?

These clevis parts you speak of ,can some one post photos ?

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"