Thunderbike Q?

Started by Fast4fun, January 28, 2008, 11:51:37 PM

Fast4fun

It looks as though I can kill two birds with one stone by buying an ST3 Ducati for everyday riding with my wife and on weekends whooping the snot out of old F2 riders in Thunderbike. Does anyone see a flaw in this plan? I'm pretty sure the duc is up to the task of crushing the F2's in the class... maybe even those ridden by national champs!?  Now if only I can get the wife to sign off on the purchase of another bike.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

I think an F2 is a really good bike.  I raced one some time ago, and it's good even with the old tire technology and poor quality shocks we had then.  But if something fits a dual role for you...
Super Dave

EX_#76

Quote from: Super Dave on January 29, 2008, 08:15:31 AM
I think an F2 is a really good bike.  I raced one some time ago, and it's good even with the old tire technology and poor quality shocks we had then.  But if something fits a dual role for you...

I think he is riding the Duc in Thunderbike
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

ahastings

With some good suspension setup and lightening and a little motor work that could be quite a Thunderbike weapon. You had me looking at the rulebook, I didn't  think the ST3 was even legal for that class.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

roadracer162

I did the same in the rulebook. On paper looks a little heavy but has more motor. What Arnie says.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Greg_Williams

I've got to say that a ST3 in Thunderbike is certainly thinking outside the box!!
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

PJ

I think we should all race with saddlebags and passengers!

I'll bring my Ulysses.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Burt Munro

Quote from: PJ on January 29, 2008, 08:23:55 PM
I think we should all race with saddlebags and passengers!

I'll bring my Ulysses.
My bike's already prepped!!  I may have to go with the extra large BMW saddlebag lids though....  make it a little tougher to get around me if the bike's a foot wider!!!!!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Fast4fun

Since the ST3 only has 3 valves per cylinder it fits the rules despite the displacement. At first I just wanted to take a shot at people I know still riding F2's but now I'm really thinking there may be something to this. It's heavy and a little short on power but who knows!? And, it really does fit the dual role perfectly. I say we start a sport touring class with luggage mandatory.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Fast4fun

ST3 =  447 lbs and 107hp   as reported on the ducati website.
ST4s = 442 lbs  and 121 hp  ( i know it's illegal but who can tell the difference without a close inspection... not that I condone cheating)

I'm sure this is a pretty solid beginning point and that the suspension/chasis is up to the task.

How much does a competitive F2 weigh? It has to be close to 400lbs.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

crimsoncloak

Wouldn't be that hard to get the ST3 down to 375~ish pounds without spending too much.  They put out about 100~105 at the wheel with a slip on.  Actually pretty interesting idea.  Lots of cheap fork/brake upgrades from older superbikes too.

ahastings

only problem is it would only be good for one class
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

roadracer162

LW F40 makes it 2 classes
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Fast4fun

Quote from: ahastings on January 30, 2008, 08:51:11 AM

Most people who race F2's are only in it for one class. Besides, the real point was killing two birds with one stone by racing what is essentially a touring bike. AND, the possibility of cleaning up in one class is exciting. Personally, I'm still racing my 675 in the other classes and I have enough room on my trailer so...
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Fast4fun

Also

F40, GTU, MW SBK, MW GP   if you're so inclined to race in MW.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

ahastings

I guess I should have said competetive instead of good.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

sauce

T you are not nice,making fun of poor racers who can afford a new race bike.get an f2 and come out and play,or get that duck it doesnt matter. we both know you cant hang with the f2's that run in that class......wink wink.oh did he tell you were not racing ccs this year? tired of running 1 class only(that your bike is comp in) good luck with G letting you get the duck.
Black ops racing,Bridgestone,Woodcraft,Regina,Cantu inc,sara young.

banzai1

That just got the tire contingency cut in half!

Fast4fun

Sauce and RGK, you're gonna be missed. Who's gonna straighten out my bike now? I'm gonna have to learn how to use a wrench. G is bummed too.

There seems to be about as much chance of me getting and f2 as there is getting the duc.

When does the snowbird return. I'd like to stop by.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

RCR_531

Trade that 675 in on a Duc you will be big in MW classes. :biggrin:
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

F2RGK

Quote from: Fast4fun on February 09, 2008, 01:02:05 AM
Sauce and RGK, you're gonna be missed. Who's gonna straighten out my bike now? I'm gonna have to learn how to use a wrench. G is bummed too.

There seems to be about as much chance of me getting and f2 as there is getting the duc.

When does the snowbird return. I'd like to stop by.

Hey Tiny Tim!!!  Snow bird here, just saying hello.  Depending on how things go this year financially, you'll see me at  a few races with CCS--The big races that is!  Wanna do Wera, nothing personal to CCS, just want to be well rounded by riding other tracks.  I've been in florida most of this winter...drumming up business there.  I personally know of a really cool F2 that could be for sale with a freshy new motor as  a spare....sorry no new front end as as a spare!!   I've heard you need those from time to time-hehheheheheh!!  Tell Gina I said Hello-Call me sometime stranger!   See ya-Big RoNny
If you're not Smilin' while you're ridin', then QUIT!

Fast4fun

What will you ride?  Time to get that 600RR !! Nat'l champs deserve the best. I'm willing to do WERA if you and sauce will be in the same class. Not much hope of changing my bike now, too much invested. Besides, I'd hate to give up all that Triumph contingency cash.  :lmao:

I'll email you. My parents have a place in Venice, FL. Is that anywhere near the new shop? Let me know when you're returning to the yankee half.

My condolences to the SK racing team. Gina's wearing black all week.  :wah:

CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

F2RGK

Quote from: Fast4fun on February 11, 2008, 11:02:22 PM
What will you ride?  Time to get that 600RR !! Nat'l champs deserve the best. I'm willing to do WERA if you and sauce will be in the same class. Not much hope of changing my bike now, too much invested. Besides, I'd hate to give up all that Triumph contingency cash.  :lmao:

I'll email you. My parents have a place in Venice, FL. Is that anywhere near the new shop? Let me know when you're returning to the yankee half.

My condolences to the SK racing team. Gina's wearing black all week.  :wah:

I believe Venice is on the East side--That's OK, I can drive half way!  I am over in Fort Myers, ya know near Cape Coral, aka, Cape Coma, Home of the Newly Wed and Nearly Dead!!!  Gina's Pregnant? 

Fast4fun

Quote from: F2RGK on February 12, 2008, 11:07:25 AM
  I believe Venice is on the East side--That's OK, I can drive half way!  I am over in Fort Myers, ya know near Cape Coral, aka, Cape Coma, Home of the Newly Wed and Nearly Dead!!!  Gina's Pregnant? 

Venice is on the Gulf. Between Ft Meyers and Sarasota.. i think.

Gina's mourning the loss of the legendary race team.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

F2RGK

Quote from: Fast4fun on February 12, 2008, 06:46:01 PM
Venice is on the Gulf. Between Ft Meyers and Sarasota.. i think.

Gina's mourning the loss of the legendary race team.

Ahh, I see.  Sorry Gina-My Bad!  Well, come on down then, leaving next Wednesday...be there until March 5th, and I'll evn pick you up in the Great White (Dodge Mega Cab)  See ya- Ron

airfreek

just read the 08 rulebook so i can race my duc 749 in thunderbike now???

Fast4fun

Quote from: airfreek on February 12, 2008, 11:19:02 PM
just read the 08 rulebook so i can race my duc 749 in thunderbike now???

YES. That's even better than the ST3.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

sauce

tim come & buy 1 of the f3's that ron & i have for sale,you know its well sorted out.(well sell it cheap too you) then you can still get beatn down & not feel bad cause your on an old bike too.
Black ops racing,Bridgestone,Woodcraft,Regina,Cantu inc,sara young.

garrettrick

then a 749r would be legal for thunderbike as well? im missing my bike now.

Ducmarc

i work on my friends st2 and i've wondered about it . it has a linked suspension larger tubing in the frame and the frame angles out around the tank more like a superbike than the ss it also has a ram air duct  but is not connected to the air box  the air box is also large .i bet put some extra pipe in the frame like on the 999s , work on the forks, put it on a diet  and it it would work good, they also come with the heavy duty cases .

F2RGK

Quote from: Fast4fun on January 28, 2008, 11:51:37 PM
It looks as though I can kill two birds with one stone by buying an ST3 Ducati for everyday riding with my wife and on weekends whooping the snot out of old F2 riders in Thunderbike. Does anyone see a flaw in this plan? I'm pretty sure the duc is up to the task of crushing the F2's in the class... maybe even those ridden by national champs!?  Now if only I can get the wife to sign off on the purchase of another bike.
Tim,

Tim, I see how it is- Gotta pick on the F2's Regime.  Alfredo sais you'll need the saddlebags to keep off the grass!  LOL!  Hehe.  Some humor for you.  Btw-Happy New Year!  I moved btw-down here in Florida now.  Give me an email and we'll catch up.  Oh yeah, there is a new High Powered F2 running around down here with a Buell Sticker under my rear section!!  :P