News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Thunderbike Q?

Started by Fast4fun, January 28, 2008, 11:51:37 PM

Fast4fun

It looks as though I can kill two birds with one stone by buying an ST3 Ducati for everyday riding with my wife and on weekends whooping the snot out of old F2 riders in Thunderbike. Does anyone see a flaw in this plan? I'm pretty sure the duc is up to the task of crushing the F2's in the class... maybe even those ridden by national champs!?  Now if only I can get the wife to sign off on the purchase of another bike.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

I think an F2 is a really good bike.  I raced one some time ago, and it's good even with the old tire technology and poor quality shocks we had then.  But if something fits a dual role for you...
Super Dave

EX_#76

Quote from: Super Dave on January 29, 2008, 08:15:31 AM
I think an F2 is a really good bike.  I raced one some time ago, and it's good even with the old tire technology and poor quality shocks we had then.  But if something fits a dual role for you...

I think he is riding the Duc in Thunderbike
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

ahastings

With some good suspension setup and lightening and a little motor work that could be quite a Thunderbike weapon. You had me looking at the rulebook, I didn't  think the ST3 was even legal for that class.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

roadracer162

I did the same in the rulebook. On paper looks a little heavy but has more motor. What Arnie says.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Greg_Williams

I've got to say that a ST3 in Thunderbike is certainly thinking outside the box!!
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

PJ

I think we should all race with saddlebags and passengers!

I'll bring my Ulysses.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Burt Munro

Quote from: PJ on January 29, 2008, 08:23:55 PM
I think we should all race with saddlebags and passengers!

I'll bring my Ulysses.
My bike's already prepped!!  I may have to go with the extra large BMW saddlebag lids though....  make it a little tougher to get around me if the bike's a foot wider!!!!!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Fast4fun

Since the ST3 only has 3 valves per cylinder it fits the rules despite the displacement. At first I just wanted to take a shot at people I know still riding F2's but now I'm really thinking there may be something to this. It's heavy and a little short on power but who knows!? And, it really does fit the dual role perfectly. I say we start a sport touring class with luggage mandatory.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Fast4fun

ST3 =  447 lbs and 107hp   as reported on the ducati website.
ST4s = 442 lbs  and 121 hp  ( i know it's illegal but who can tell the difference without a close inspection... not that I condone cheating)

I'm sure this is a pretty solid beginning point and that the suspension/chasis is up to the task.

How much does a competitive F2 weigh? It has to be close to 400lbs.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

crimsoncloak

Wouldn't be that hard to get the ST3 down to 375~ish pounds without spending too much.  They put out about 100~105 at the wheel with a slip on.  Actually pretty interesting idea.  Lots of cheap fork/brake upgrades from older superbikes too.

ahastings

only problem is it would only be good for one class
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor