News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Team/Solo Challenge pit-stop refueling - engine off?

Started by kl3640, January 28, 2008, 12:49:09 AM

kl3640

During Solo/Team Challenge pit stops, do riders have to turn off their bikes during refueling?

Thanks.

Garywc

i believe they do now after this past fall incident
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

LilJayRR

After looking at the 2007 rule book it doesn't look like it was a rule, but we have always done it. The bike was always off during a pit stop, but we had a rider on the bike sometimes. This year I hope they change/make the rule of Bike off and Rider off before refueling. If I remember right that is the rule in Moto ST. It would only cost a couple more seconds in the pits but if everyone has to do it then its no advantage/disadvantage to any one team and I'm all for it!!

A little safety can go along way to avoid any repeat of ROC this year.

Gas on your unmentionables can be very uncomfortable to say the least!

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

kl3640

That was the rumour that I heard, that this year refueling has to be done with rider off, bike off, because of what happened at Daytona, but I was just trying to confirm because if that's the rule then that will change my choice of fuel cap.

Thanks.

Garywc

what kinda fuel cap are you going to us in either situation?
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

kl3640

Quote from: Garywc on January 28, 2008, 07:34:45 PM

Hi Gary!

I have the stock cap, which I intend to use with the Acerbis Quick Fill jug (the old style, 5Gal, which fits perfectly in the stock opening).  It's my sprint bike, so I use the stock tank, so the filler neck and capacity match up well.  If we don't have to shut-off the bikes, then I'm going to either replace the cap or rig the lock so that I don't have to take the key out of the ignition or bother with a spare.  If the bike must be shut-off anyway, then the point is moot as I'll just use the ignition key to open the cap.

LilJayRR

Quote from: Garywc on January 28, 2008, 07:34:45 PM

We use the stock cap and cut down a key and jb weld it inplace, some of our race bikes have the ignition switch removed and wired into the kill switch, this way there is one switch that turns power on and kills the bike as well, and no fumbling with a key to open the gas cap. We dont have a dry break system on the bikes, plus our quick fill now flows just as good (5 gals in about 12-15 sec's if I rememver right). Its not as flashy looking and high tech but it gets the job done.

Only difference for us would be that the rider wont get any overflow on his junk if your not carefull when refueling, and the possibilty of not being on the bike if a fire starts. I have seen 2 or 3 catch fire, but only the one at ROC this year had any injurys to the rider.
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

kl3640

Quote from: LilJayRR on January 28, 2008, 10:11:30 PM
We use the stock cap and cut down a key and jb weld it inplace, some of our race bikes have the ignition switch removed and wired into the kill switch, this way there is one switch that turns power on and kills the bike as well, and no fumbling with a key to open the gas cap. We dont have a dry break system on the bikes, plus our quick fill now flows just as good (5 gals in about 12-15 sec's if I rememver right). Its not as flashy looking and high tech but it gets the job done.

Only difference for us would be that the rider wont get any overflow on his junk if your not carefull when refueling, and the possibilty of not being on the bike if a fire starts. I have seen 2 or 3 catch fire, but only the one at ROC this year had any injurys to the rider.

Thanks, those are great suggestions.  A couple of follow-up questions, if you don't mind:

1) What do you JB Weld they key to?  I'm assuming not IN the lock cylinder itself.
2) When you cut off the top of the key, do you put anything on it, like a flat-round cap or something?  And I'm assuming that you just permanently remove the little flip cover that covers the lock cylinder?
3) When you wire the ignition to the kill-switch, it is as simple as taking the wires from the ignition cylinder and connecting them to tne ON position terminals of the kill switch?

Sorry for all of the questions, but yours is the best solution I've seen so far.  I was considering the gas-cap key solution myself, but the ignition/kill-switch solution is very clever - my compliments.