Arai Vector Camo
8 (42.1%)
Shoei Voyager TC-5
3 (15.8%)
Suomy Vandal Cult
8 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

PolishPete

I'm looking at purchasing a helmet, and I've narrowed it down to these three.  I have tried on the Arai and Shoei, and they fit well.  My local dealer does not carry Suomy, so I wasn't able to try them on.  The Suomy Vandal however is a great helmet (from what I'm told), and I can get a great on it. 

I like the looks/design of the Shoei shell best, but it seems like the padding is thin inside.  The helmet fits me perfect (we worked on fitting for a while), but compared to the Arai it feels like there's less padding (less safe?).

The Arai is a little bit heavier, and the padding inside feels like I'm putting my head into a pillow.

What would you guys do, and most importantly...why?

anderstj0mills

I Have the shoei X11 and love it. I bought it over the arai because of the firmer fit. The softer liner in the Arai foam lets your skull accelerate faster toward the impact foam. I "feel" safer in the Shoei. As far as real safety goes there both great helmets. I just like the shoei as I have owned them for years and crash tested them. My head is in good shape or at least I think it is.

Sobottka

all are quality but only one brand supports club level racing!  :thumb: (nevermind that i have a vandal on the way!)
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

roadracer162

This may help a little when deciding.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/comply/

I use the Arai because it fits me well. I have no fatigue when riding on the street or on my track helmet. My understanding from the protection standpoint is that the outher shell protects against penetration and the harder blunt forces by absorbing shock and disipating it within the structure of the shell. The polystyrene foam liner absorbs the lower impact shock, and althouth the fabric liner and polyethylene foam (?) absorbs some shock (energy) it is mostly for the comfort side of the equation.

I say wear what you can afford and what the best fit is for your head-shape. If the fit in compromised I believe that you will be more likely to be fatigued while racing due to discomfort.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

RSimmons

Suomy and Shoei/Arai have significantly different head shapes. If the Shoei and Arai fit well, I doubt the Suomy will. Try it on. Fit is THE MOST IMPORTANT consideration.

I've crash tested Shoeis on a number of occasion. I shudder to think how much $$$ I've spent on the X-11s and RF1000s I've broken. They work, and they work well.

FWIW, my head was run over by a tanker truck  while I was wearing a $90 HJC and I lived to tell about it. I have a few plates in my skull, but I'm not dead.
MW Am #377

Garywc

proper fit is the most important thing to have a helmet work correctly
you cant sacrifice safety for who gives you the best deal
if you didn't get to try on the suomy i would try to find one some where to try before buying one. maybe go to a different dealer
looks are the least important thing about a helmet.

everyone has there own opinion on which helmet is the best. some people just go by what they read or some go by who is wearing what in the pro level.
but since you narrowed it down to 3 choices and didn't get to try one of them on i would eliminate that one unless like i mentioned get a chance to try it on.
as far as less padding and being less safe i wouldn't thing so since most of the helmets get the same testing most major brands would be just as safe as another
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

GSXR RACER MIKE

Figuring that your going with a good helmet - Lighter weight helmets are nice, especially on the fast tracks and at Daytona where G-forces are a factor as well. Some racers also like certain helmets because they are quieter than others, have removable/washable liners, quick change shields, wind deflectors under the chin, and on and on.

I personally like the Aria RX7-RR series, they fit me well and are very light weight.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

PolishPete

roadracer162

One of the benefits to the Arai is that you can change cheekpads which adjusts the fit of the helmet as needed.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

Suomy too.  Everything comes out easy to wash your individual stink out too.
Super Dave

roadracer162

That's cool. any ideas of the cost of replacement pads for the Suomy?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

honda60071

Shoei check pads are changeable also for thickness, I have the rf1000 and move up to a 35mm pad and fits good on my mellon! But again as everyone else has said make your own choice. Fit comfort cost and reliability.
Shawn

Garywc

other arai models like the quamton and the rx 7 i think they are called all the padding is replace able with half sizes smaller and up to one and a half sizes lager in half size incrments
ask your dealer to order  in other pads to try on the other arai models to see if one will fit properly.
if they are a good dealer they should be able to do that for a customer
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

foughtstrong

I recently bought a Suomy Spec-1R and its has real thick padding all around.  It might have to take some pratice to get the side panels off to replace the visor quickly so I'm looking to purchase a Vandal to keep as a spare.  Was able to get it at a sponsorhip cost and thats one big reason I bought it.  Went from a Shoei to this and the Shoei doesn't come close to the comfort of the Suomy.  I also have an Arai and I would say both fit almost the same.  Out of those three Suomy offers the best rider support.  Saving $$$$$ is big for me right now, but you can't forget about safety and Suomy offers both.

Spooner

Just an FYI-the Vandal is more of a long oval like the Shoei or some Arais's.  The Spec-1R is more round oval.  I say Suomy, plus they pay contingency!
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

backMARKr

Suomy Spec 1R.....crash tested, BackMarkr approved :thumb:

(no headaches,etc --- was able to REALLY concentrate on how pissed off I was :err:)
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: backMARKr on January 28, 2008, 03:19:30 PM
....was able to REALLY concentrate on how pissed off I was :err:)

And that was a good thing? LOL  :biggrin:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

PolishPete

Thanks guys...great info.  Keep it coming.

backMARKr

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on January 28, 2008, 09:30:11 PM
And that was a good thing? LOL  :biggrin:

forgot to add...on the WALK back to the pits...if I was still on the track riding I would have been without angst :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

kl3640

I sold helmets for a while and had the benefit of going to distributors seminars on new helmet technology, proper fit, etc.

Assuming that you're looking at all high quality helmets that meet various safety regs (DOT, SNELL, EU), then the single most important thing is proper fit.  I strongly recommend spending a few minutes on-line reading up on independent helmet tests by magazines, etc.  I remember a few years ago that a magazine, Motorcyclist IIRC, did an independent test and rated $100 Z1-R's and $200 Scorpions up there with $500 Shoei's and $600 Arai's.  You should never buy a helmet online or via mail order without having tried on the same model in the same size before, so that you know exactly what you'll be getting.  And buy it from a reputable online dealer so that you know that it will be new, unused, undamaged, etc. - although be advised that some manufacturers won't warranty their helmets or guarantee their performance if purchased online or from non-authorized dealers.  I think that's Arai's policy.

Make sure that when you get fitted you either know what you're doing and/or have a professional help you (not just anyone who works in a bike shop, but someone who has been through a proper sizing training).  The single biggest mistake that people make when buying a helmet is buying one that's too loose.  A "comfortable" fit isn't necessarily a proper fit.  Helmets aren't designed primarily for comfort - they're designed primarily to offer protection, when worn properly.  When properly fitted, a helmet should have no significant gaps (particulary by your temples - you can test this by trying to fit two fingers between the helmet and your temples, and if they go in easily then the helmet is either too big or the wrong shape for your head; or against your forehead - there shouldn't be a visible gap there at all).  It should also fit you snugly such that it can't be easily turned on your head.  With the chin strap properly secured (i.e., snugged down so that you can easily slide your fingers between it and your chin), have someone grab the chin-bar and try to rotate the helmet side-to-side and up-down on your head.  If it moves significantly in either direction (like up to an inch) then it's too loose, meaning that it's the wrong size or shape.  Just don't go too tight, because the padding will be compressed which reduces protection and also you'll become prone to headaches when worn long enough.  You shouldn't feel any specific pressure points anywhere either - if you do, then it's the wrong shape helmet for your head.  In summary, it should fit snuggly and not shift on your head with the chin strap properly fastened, but shouldn't be significantly tighter than that either.  When in doubt, you're better off going tighter than looser, but too tight is no good either.

So assuming that you have the correct shape (AFAIK only Arai makes different shell shapes, so you need to find the mfr whose shell design matches your head shape, or the right model Arai), correct size helmet, and that you're looking at only reputable manufacturers with good independent test results and certifications (AT LEAST Snell and DOT), then the secondary characteristics for which to look are (in order of priority, in my opinion):
1) comfort of fit, so that it doesn't distract you at all - once you put it on, you should be able to forget that you're wearing it.  If it's bothering you, then it'll distract you, which might cause you to make a mistake while riding.
2) weight (even a little weight adds up over longer races)
3) venting and fog-resistance
4) features (visor quick release system)
5) availability of accessories (different visors, chin skirts, etc.)
6) noise (not too big a deal for racing, IMO, especially if you usually wear ear plugs)
7) style (totally just a matter of taste, not at all important for function except for safety on the street as more visible colors are safer).

I like Arai's because they have always fit me well (depending on the model), are lighter than Shoei's, and vent well.  I also like Arai's because their quality is second to none - hand made, individually inspected, high quality control, design and manufacture, etc.  The plus side of the Shoei's is that, depending on model, they cut the wind better and therefore reduce buffetting, are quieter, and have a better quick-release system for the visors.  They are also an excellent, safe helmet.  I have never had a Suomy or Shark or AGV or other premium helmet, so I can't speak for them.

The other thing to remember is to not lend any credence to what you see top pros, such as MotoGP riders, wearing.  Their helmets are nothing like what you will buy off the shelf  because they're custom fitted, custom made, etc.

Last thing to remember is that if you find the "right" helmet, but it's not quite right because it's a little too loose or tight on the cheeks or the top of your head, you can usually find replacement pads that adjust the fit.  For example, I wear an Arai RX7 Corsair.  I'm on my 3rd Arai now, so I know what I need exactly.  I get a Size L, then I replace the standard head liner (the one that goes on the inside of the top of the helmet, which touches the top of your head) with a 5mm pad.  Then I replace the cheek pads with a 15mm set, and oila, I have the perfect fit.  By finding the right helmet and sticking with it, I can transfer all of my accessories.  When I crashed my last helmet, only the visor on it was ruined, so I could use all of my other visors, breath guard, pads (the pads don't get ruined from impact), etc.

And when you get your helmet, get a good case/bag for it and the visors to keep them protected and in good shape.  You don't want to race with a helmet that took a good bounce, and it could easily take a good bounce in the pits or your trailer if not stored properly.

Good luck.

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

PolishPete

Oh, so that's how some of the guys keep so stable.  I need a Mohawk to help the aerodynamic forces keep me in line.  But now I have one question.  Does the color of the Mohawk effect speed.  Somewhere I heard that hot pink makes you go faster.

danman67

I have crash tested two of my helmets, an Arai Quntum 2 and a HJC AC10. On both helmets I ripped off the face shields and both wrecks were low sides. With the HJC I cracked the side of the helmet and walked away and tossed the helmet in the trash, with the Arai I scratched up the side of the helmet and had a concussion so bad that my right eye was bloodshot for a month and it was a week before the headache went away.
So this time I went with a Shark RSR2 helmet, I wanted something that was less likely to rattle my brains any further and light. This has been by far the most comfortable helmet that I have put my head into although it did take a little time to break in. It does not buffet in the wind and is quiet at speed, it even makes my bike seem quiet (Aprilia RSV) and the helmet is stupid light.

Court Jester

Quote from: PolishPete on January 29, 2008, 01:09:44 PM
Oh, so that's how some of the guys keep so stable.  I need a Mohawk to help the aerodynamic forces keep me in line.  But now I have one question.  Does the color of the Mohawk effect speed.  Somewhere I heard that hot pink makes you go faster.

hot pink and green will add 3-5hp for sure. i'd ride the hot pink one. hands down.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

PolishPete

3 - 5 hp?  Great.  I'm sold.

Though...the pink one won't match the outfit I like to where to the track...or my shoes.

Bummer.

gearhead

I would also like to thank everyone for the great info.
  I bought an Arai RX-7 Corsair, Haga replica, yesterday at the Minneapolis IMS.  The salesman spent 45 minutes fitting me to the right profile before he even knew if I was buying.  I'm very impressed with the feel and look forward to riding with it.  Maybe having a Haga replica will bring me some good karma this summer, too!!
  Thanks again!!

PolishPete

Well I guess I went against the grain here since Shoei had the least amount of votes!!  Here she is.  My new helmet.  Fits great, great features, safe, looks cool, and great price.  Also picked up a light smoke shield.