News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Life....

Started by EX#996, March 01, 2003, 05:48:56 PM

EX#996

Have you ever notice how some people have good fortune, and others, not so much?

For example take Paul and I...  Well maybe it's just me....

We drive older high mileage vehicles so we don't have a car payment.  However you always want a spare in case one decides to take a dump.  So here's the saga...

We need another vehicle because the 'ol Dodge Ramcharger with 188,000 + miles is really on it's last legs.  So we find a Pontiac Sunbird with 200,000 + miles, runs excellent, looks OK, and it's only $300.00.  What happens a deer runs into the side of it.   ::)  It don't look so good any more. Plus after 4 months, the starter took a dump.  Another lawn ornament.   :(

Driving home from work in the Dodge desiel with 158,000 miles, the exhast decides it has enough and comes apart.  Oh well, Paul plans on putting on new exhast today, but that didn't happen because he had to come and pick me up.  Keep reading...

I had to work today, so I take our 91 Buick Park Avenue, gorgeous car, nice ride, (yep, you guess it 158,000 + miles) to Appleton.  I pick up Renee and we are going to get a little shopping in after work.  Heading down Wisconsin Avenue in Appleton - a lady in a Lexus SUV makes a left turn RIGHT in front of me.  I hit the brakes, too late.  Needless to say - another lawn ornament.   ::)  Sometimes life just sucks.

Oh well, time to look for another car.   :-/  The only consolation I have is my $1700 car totaled her $$$ Lexus SUV   ;D

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tigerblade

Oh yeah?  This week I got turned down for a job that everyone assumed was mine, and Monday my divorce will be final (married one year, then wife flipped out and moved away).

I win.   :P
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

EX#996

QuoteOh yeah?  This week I got turned down for a job that everyone assumed was mine, and Monday my divorce will be final (married one year, then wife flipped out and moved away).

I win.   :P

Yep - you win.  (If you can call it that)

The job market sucks right now.  There is no denying that!

Marriage - It's not an easy thing.  Even after 15 years, Paul and I will have our moments once in a while.

Dawn  :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tigerblade

On the bright side, I'm getting excited about racing this year.  If I don't destroy my bike or myself in the process, it should be great therapy.   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

SliderPhoto

I hope you and Renee are OK!!!

I used to have a professor that always said, "don't worry it will get worse." He was a dick! ;D

Don't worry, you're in a slump, before you know it, everything will be going your way!

TB, sorry to hear that, but I bet you'll be better off!

Look at the bright side, in a few weeks we'll be at the track... :)

EX#996

QuoteI hope you and Renee are OK!!!

I used to have a professor that always said, "don't worry it will get worse." He was a dick! ;D

Don't worry, you're in a slump, before you know it, everything will be going your way!

TB, sorry to hear that, but I bet you'll be better off!

LOL!!!  Another BBS control.

It's a good thing that Bill Hitchc0ck's name is not Richard Hitchc0ck.  Other wise it may appear on the board as Dick Hitchcock.   ;D

I am really excited about the first race weekend in April.  It will only be a few days after my birthday and I think I will do a little celebrating with everyone.   ;)

Renee and I are fine, just a little stiff.  Thanks for asking.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

KBOlsen

YIKES!!!!!  I'm glad you and Renee are all right... stupid SUVs... :-[

Your B-day, huh?  Hmmmm... ;D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Gixxer124

Dick Hitchcock.
Just testing.

EX#996

QuoteYour B-day, huh?  Hmmmm... ;D

Yep!  On 03/31...  Do you want to cause a little trouble?   ;)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Bernie

It's easy to say but harder to believe.  We all are very lucky to be able race motorcycles.  It is the greatest thing I have ever done, but it doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table, so I have to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to pursue something that is fairly selfish in the grand scheme of things.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Bright side.  You and Renee OK, 1 less Lexus in the world, and you'll be getting $$$ from the rich yuppy broad's insurance company.  I hate rich, cellphone using, Lexus driving, makeup applying, too distracted to use the pathetic shred of driving talent that they posess, rich yuppy broads who try to kill me or my friends.  Stiff...? $$$;D
Doc? It hurts when I do this.  Well don't do that!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Hey, Dawn...

I think you need to get away from these Dodge and GM vehicles... ;D

And, personally, if it weren't for bad luck...  I'd have NO luck at all... 8)

Oh, and SUV...  Stupid Useless Vehicle...

Doesn't include your new ride, Jack...  It's cool.

Personally, I'd like to run over all those weenie SUV's with my "little van".  They're so gay...
Super Dave

EX#996

If she would have hit the gas and instead of hitting the brakes when she heard my tires squeal I probably would have missed her.  I put on over 26,000 miles a year and have learned that a persons first reaction when faced with a potential hazard it to hit the brakes.  Sometimes it is better to gas it and get out of the way.

Oh well, thats life.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

Yeah, ain't that the truth.

And anyone can get a driver's license.  
Super Dave

SliderPhoto

QuoteDoesn't include your new ride, Jack...  It's cool.

The thing is huge, I'm love'n it!

I found where the brake controller wiring is. ;D

sdiver68

Soory to hear about your bad luck Dawn :(  Think of it as an excuse to get a "new" car fairly often :)

SUV envy Dave, thats's all  :P

How else can I haul the things I need, pull an enclosed trailer, have a vehicle capable of a decent pace in any type of weather, easy loading and buckling in of my son, not look like a soccer mom in a mini-van (which don't offer V8's anyway), and be nice enough to take clients to lunch and discuss high dollar contracts?

I resisted the SUV for as long as I could, but when you have the above criteria, there really is no other choice as good.

And, if the proposed Bush tax plan goes into effect, look out H2 :D Evil laugh

MCRA Race School Instructor

KBOlsen

QuoteYep!  On 03/31...  Do you want to cause a little trouble?

;D ;D ;D

the_weggie_man

Dawn .... Life's a b*tch and then you die. Glad to hear you're OK.

sdiver ..... full size van is the answer, not SUV, They have V8's and loads of carrying capacity and properly ballasted will go through most any weather, and it's hard to beat the comfort of a custom van.. Just mho.  ;D

Super Dave

QuoteSUV envy Dave, thats's all  :P

How else can I haul the things I need, pull an enclosed trailer, have a vehicle capable of a decent pace in any type of weather, easy loading and buckling in of my son, not look like a soccer mom in a mini-van (which don't offer V8's anyway), and be nice enough to take clients to lunch and discuss high dollar contracts?

Sorry, I've got it way covered...  And diesel...  And now a TV...  And it isn't an RV...  And I was still faster at Blackhawk drying the track than most of the guys.  Must have been my dual rear wheels.  Then there's that cost thing... ;D

Jack, you found the little wire thingie...
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteWe drive older high mileage vehicles so we don't have a car payment.  However you always want a spare in case one decides to take a dump.  So here's the saga...

We need another vehicle because the 'ol Dodge Ramcharger with 188,000 + miles is really on it's last legs.  So we find a Pontiac Sunbird with 200,000 + miles, runs excellent, looks OK, and it's only $300.00.  What happens a deer runs into the side of it.   ::)  It don't look so good any more. Plus after 4 months, the starter took a dump.  Another lawn ornament.   :(

Take it from a former car salesman (aka scum of the earth  ;D), lease a vehicle.  Pay for most of the extra miles up front and forget about the damn car repairs.  Car payment usually winds up equalling the repair bills + your personal time and grief.  Just my humble opinion.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

QuoteTake it from a former car salesman (aka scum of the earth  ;D), lease a vehicle.  Pay for most of the extra miles up front and forget about the damn car repairs.  Car payment usually winds up equalling the repair bills + your personal time and grief.  Just my humble opinion.

A lot of people lease, but I figure that if I pay cash for the car - no car payment, I don't need to carry full coverage on it and most of the time I don't need to repair it every month.  This will be cheaper for us in the long run.

'88 Dodge we purchased in 1993 for $5,100 and ran it for 9 years.  Total repairs including tires was approximately $1800.  So.... $5100 + $1800 = $6900  divide that by 108 months = $63.88 per month and I don't need full coverage insurance.

'93 Sunbird we ran for 6 months and purchased for $300.00 (it will run again, if we decide to put a starter in it).  So $300.00 / 6 months = $50.00 per month and liability only.

'92 Dodge Desiel, this one we actually spent some money on $9500.00 in '95.  We haven't put any money into it at this point, but it now needs exhast and tires.  Still $9500 / 86 months = 110.47 per month.

Like Jack said, we're in a little bit of a slump, but oh well that's life.  When you run old vehicles, you have to expect some, and be able to make repairs.  IMHO old vehicles are they way to go.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

I definitely know where you're coming from.  But my time is worth too much to me to deal with the grief.  Also, I never want to have to worry about my wife breaking down without me around.  Too many bad people out there.  I just don't need the worry.  Gotta concentrate on making money so I can race.   ;)  Good luck with the current situation, I'm sure it will work out okay for ya.  
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Super Dave

QuoteToo many bad people out there.  I just don't need the worry. 

Maybe you need a change of scenery?

Imagine riding on the ice for hours on end with your racing friends...LOL!
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteI definitely know where you're coming from.  But my time is worth too much to me to deal with the grief.  Also, I never want to have to worry about my wife breaking down without me around.  Too many bad people out there.  I just don't need the worry.  Gotta concentrate on making money so I can race.   ;)  Good luck with the current situation, I'm sure it will work out okay for ya.  

I hear ya.  Fortunately Paul does most of the repairs and I always figured that if there was any life left in the motor, I will get it home.  

My family did a good thing before they allowed me to drive.  I needed to know how to change the oil, change the tires, and know the basics of how a car works.  We have always lived out in the middle of no where and with no cellphones at the time, you better know how to limp a car home.

I remember when I was 17, I had an old 4 cyl mustang and this was in the spring during the first heavy rain storm.  The darn car keep dying.  Fortunately with the knowledge that my dad gave me (and my uncles with the stock cars), I was able to trace the problem to a cracked distributor cap.  I stopped three times, was totally soaked, but I made it home.  

Renee will also have this knowledge before she is able to drive.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuoteMaybe you need a change of scenery?

Imagine riding on the ice for hours on end with your racing friends...LOL!

LOL!!!    ;D

The midwest overall has a really good group of people.  However....  I am ready for some warmer weather (oooo it's 4 degrees today  ::)).

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Speedballer347

Quotesdiver ..... full size van is the answer, not SUV
sdiver got a SUV, cause his buddies won't be caught dead riding in "Mom's" van on the way to the races  ...no wayyyyy!
Steve's having 24-inch chrome DuBBs installed at my request ;D

We gonna be big PimPin' at da track w/ that thing 8)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

EX#996

Quotesdiver got a SUV, cause his buddies won't be caught dead riding in "Mom's" van on the way to the races :P ...no wayyyyy!

LOL!!!!

Before we bought the Buick Paul said to me, "Perhaps we should get a mini van.  It would be aweful convenient at times to have that type of vehicle."  

My response was, "If we get a mini van - YOU'RE driving it!"  

I do not like those things!  (Does anyone besides me think that the Lumina van looks like a Dustbuster?)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

Quote I am ready for some warmer weather (oooo it's 4 degrees today  ::)).

A simple ride on the ice makes winter worth it.

Took Mike Riebe out near Meghan Stiles place.  We rode (abused) the Stiles TTR90's for about four hours.  It was 30 and it was way too hot!  Just sweating to death!  

To me, full size vans are "mini"!
Super Dave

Super Dave

Dustbuster...yeah...

Again, back to GM vehicles....... :P

At least a Pinto has cool looking flames all around.
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteA simple ride on the ice makes winter worth it.

To me, full size vans are "mini"!

That's true, unfortunately (this is just too funny) Renee's CR80 needs ingition parts and Paul broke the spokes on his Yamaha 250.  They were planning on going up to Hately this week to get them.  It looks like they will be driving the motorhome there (that at this point still runs).

It is just not our time for anything mechanical.  LOL!!!   ;D

Your van - definately unique to you!

Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuoteAt least a Pinto has cool looking flames all around.

LMAO!!!  

Especially when hit from behind.

P.S.  I would drive your van any day over a stupid mini-van!
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

I don't think of it as a van...

Seems too small of a word.

Needs something more epic.  Ya know, C130's are called Hercules, C5A's are called Galaxies...  

Stratoliner!  

Mega something another.

I called it "Monster" for a while, but it just hasn't stuck.
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteI am ready for some warmer weather (oooo it's 4 degrees today  ::)).

Sweating my butt off today.  It's in the low-mid 80's and humid as Hell.  Now's the time to be here, but in July, I'd rather be up north with ya'll.  As far as the too many bad people thing...my wife is very cute and is about 96 lbs.  I can teach her everything she would ever want to know about cars and defending herself, but what is she supposed to do when Bubba and his buddies traveling on I-75 from Miami to Tampa decide to stop in my town for some gas and see her standin there broken down.  Just can't bear to even think about it.  New car every three years for her.  As far as for me, I think the racing thing is gonna force me to buy an older tow vehicle.  Any suggestions from ya'll.  My longest drive is 5-1/2 hours to Jennings and I usually have 3-4 people and a bunch of crap that doesn't fit on my little open trailer.  I will, however, be getting an enclosed one by the end of next season I hope.  Advice?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

QuoteI don't think of it as a van...

Seems to small of a word.

Needs something more epic.  Ya know, C130's are called Hercules, C5A's are called Galaxies...  

Just call it....

Olympus - because to many of your students you have the knowledge of the Greek gods.

or

Enterprise - because that van has gone where no other van has gone before.  (Really - how many 14 passenger desiel vans have run a road course?)

or

just give me time...  I will come up with more.

Dawn   ;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuoteAs far as for me, I think the racing thing is gonna force me to buy an older tow vehicle.  Any suggestions from ya'll.  My longest drive is 5-1/2 hours to Jennings and I usually have 3-4 people and a bunch of crap that doesn't fit on my little open trailer.  I will, however, be getting an enclosed one by the end of next season I hope.  Advice?

If you can find it - go with a desiel of some sort.  Being from a warmer climate you won't have to worry about fuel additives or plugging it in during cold weather.  

With a desiel you will get better fuel economy when towing and have the torque to get it moving.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

People in Florida seem to think diesels are made of gold or something, unfortunately.  Too much money around here for one.  Probably gonna pick up an older SUV or van or the dreaded minivan.  We'll see.  Right now I get great gas mileage, but I really don't want to keep using my $30,000+ friggin Acura as an overloaded tow vehicle. :o  And besides, I can't fit my stuff and 4 people in it...we did take 3 to Homestead though. ;D  Looked like we belonged when we got to Miami with our low-rider.   8)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Super Dave

Shuttle bus, man.  You'd look at home picking up at the retirement communites.  That's what I have.  1996, Power Stroke Diesel.  It gets 13 to 14.5 MPG pulling my 18 foot by 8.5 Auto Hauler with a 10k GVWR.  (Actually, it doesn't know the trailer's there.)

Not a van, doesn't have the SUV price tag (I stole mine for $3.500).  Haven't found a flaw yet.  I have the biggest thing to drop off my kids a school too.  Try and beat that with an Excursion or a Hummer...HA! ;D  I laugh at their monthly payments.  They can't even afford a Diesel!
Super Dave

tigerblade

Quote...if it weren't for bad luck...  I'd have NO luck at all...

"...doom, despair, and agony on me whoa".   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

tigerblade

QuoteTB, sorry to hear that, but I bet you'll be better off!

I'm sure I will be in the long run.  Looking forward to April!!!
Younger Oil Racing

EX#996

Quote"...doom, despair, and agony on me whoa".   ;D

LOL!!!

TB you just aged yourself.  Some of the youngsters on this BBS have never seen an episode of Hee Haw.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteA lot of people lease, but I figure that if I pay cash for the car - no car payment, I don't need to carry full coverage on it and most of the time I don't need to repair it every month.  This will be cheaper for us in the long run.

'88 Dodge we purchased in 1993 for $5,100 and ran it for 9 years.  Total repairs including tires was approximately $1800.  So.... $5100 + $1800 = $6900  divide that by 108 months = $63.88 per month and I don't need full coverage insurance.

'93 Sunbird we ran for 6 months and purchased for $300.00 (it will run again, if we decide to put a starter in it).  So $300.00 / 6 months = $50.00 per month and liability only.

'92 Dodge Desiel, this one we actually spent some money on $9500.00 in '95.  We haven't put any money into it at this point, but it now needs exhast and tires.  Still $9500 / 86 months = 110.47 per month.

Like Jack said, we're in a little bit of a slump, but oh well that's life.  When you run old vehicles, you have to expect some, and be able to make repairs.  IMHO old vehicles are they way to go.

Be glad you didnt have a Chebbie truck then. ;D Imagine all the breakdowns you'd have the.;D;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

tigerblade

QuoteLOL!!!

TB you just aged yourself.  Some of the youngsters on this BBS have never seen an episode of Hee Haw.

"I'm a pickin'..."

Younger Oil Racing

KBOlsen

Just call BR-549!!!

TZDeSioux

some of us can't afford to have separate towing vehicles and everday cars. Can't really use a big ass dually or a full size van for business so we're stuck with an SUV. I really do like the Toyota Landcruiser. That may be my next vehicle purchase. :)

SliderPhoto

QuoteTry and beat that with an Excursion or a Hummer...HA! ;D  I laugh at their monthly payments.  They can't even afford a Diesel!

Yeah, we'll see who has to sit in front because of the toushy warmer! ;D

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteJust call BR-549!!!

;D ;D ;D  My parents play 549 in our local lotto's cash 3 drawing cuz of that damn show.  They've won $500 like 5 times with it!   ;D ;D ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Dawn

Quote"I'm a pickin'..."

"...  and I'm a grin-in'..."

Dawn   ;D