News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

hyperplates

Started by cshaffer66, January 18, 2008, 02:58:21 PM

cshaffer66

What are the opinions on Hyperplates - aluminum clutch plates?  I tried them on my sv650 for a race and I do remember quicker revs, then I sold the bike.  Then, a teammate had them on this 600 for a weekend before the aluminum plates expanded leaving no play, causing him to take them out and toss them. 

I have a set on my bench, but my stock clutch is great.  How durable are these compared to stock?
Team Squid Racing

Super Dave

I put them in my 2003 R6 in 2003.  I wore out three OEM sets of friction plates racing the bike up until when I sold it just this October.  It's a very good product in my opinion. 
Super Dave

gpz11

I just completed the whole season with them in my RC51 with a slipper clutch. I plan on putting the same set back in when I reassemble the engine.

Scotty and Dave, don't tell Pat! He'll want me to put in a new set.

d-wire

I broke a couple aluminum plates in my r6........I'll never run em again. 
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Super Dave

Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

I have tried them a couple different times - and I guess I just don't have good luck with them.... I ran some in my 04 GSXR 600 - The bike didn't have any slipage - When I was on the grid the clutch was either in or out - kinda like a light switch - causing the bike to bog on the start...... So we put the stock ones back in.....

Then this past season my teammate and I ended up breaking our clutches a couple different times at Barber..... Entering into corners the bike would hop and chatter pretty bad..... I almost missed the Supersport race at Fontana - I had broke the clutch in morning practice and we had just put a new one in for the race.... I had only done the warm-up lap when I had pulled up to my grid spot - Pulled the clutch in and the bike wouldn't stop...... We didn't have any time to try to fix it - I attempted the first lap - when the race got red flagged...... That gave us time to try to get a new clutch in - but it took longer then the red flag.... The race started without me - and was red flagged on the first lap - delaying the race till the end of the day.... So I got to run the race - with the stock plates....  For whatever it's worth....

I can say that the bike did build rev's quicker - and the bike was more responsive.... If I had better luck with the plates - Maybe I would have a different oppion - But I don't think I want to take the risk in the future....

I seem to remember Jason Farell having some trouble with his aluminum clutch plates this past season - But I may be wrong...
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Boober

Farrell had a problem you are correct. Also cost him an engine due to all the broken clutch shit blocking the oil pick up screen! just say NO to aluminum clutch plates! NOT worth the potential costs!

Super Dave

Quote from: cshaffer89 on January 18, 2008, 02:58:21 PM
Then, a teammate had them on this 600 for a weekend before the aluminum plates expanded leaving no play, causing him to take them out and toss them.
Did it have Barnett fiber plates?
Super Dave

d-wire

I'm with boob er.  I broke the aluminum hyperplates and had aluminum garbage in my motor.....not good.

Super Dave.......I guess my reputation precedes me.....
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Super Dave

These are all in slipper clutch bikes that are breaking, other than Chuck's RC that hasn't had a problem? 

Anyone called Hyperplates about the problem, or...
Super Dave

JBraun

I've never felt that my clutch was the thing holding me back. I'm sticking with stock.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

LMsports

I ran Hyperplates two years ago in my CBR 1000RR. Same thing as mentioned before, there was no slippage, which made starts very tough. I didn't shell any clutches all year, but I did toast a transmission.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net