News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Keith Code RACE vs Freddie Spencer Pro Schools vs other options?

Started by Cyklracer, January 18, 2008, 12:28:15 PM

Cyklracer

Thinking about taking a racing school this spring and am interested in feedback from anyone who's taken either (or both!) the Code RACE school or the Spencer Pro school.  Pros / cons of each?  I've heard people rage about the Spencer program, but like the tools Code brings to the schools (especially the Slide bike)

Let's hear the perspectives....

Super Dave

Super Dave

Cyklracer

Sunny, warm, balmy Iowa

Debating b/w Code RACE school at Streets of Willow in April in order to get experience in before season starts, or Spencer school at Miller to get a chance to ride that great track.

open to other options, but focus is on a program with strong bias towards race level pace and skills development.

Super Dave

I'll have to let someone else push my program for me then.  I've got two gigs specifically for experienced road racers, both in May.  Since I'm local, I have a bit more input with the people that race in the area even away from the school.  That's an individual decision too.  Some go to school and that's it.  Others I maintain a lot of contact with over years, if not more than a decade.

I really think that programs like American Supercamp, the Cornerspin School are great values.  I would never count out anything that Ed Bargy puts on in the south east too.

You should get something out of everyone.  Knowing which one is the magic BB, hard to say.   
Super Dave

GrecianFormula40

Another option...Pridmore's Star school is at Hastings in June, right in your backyard-
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/hastings.html
CCS EX GP #181

Jeff

Okay, I'll share a touch.

I've taken Dave's basic school and did learn from it.  Unfortunately I chose a poor weekend to take it on and weather really hindered us from learning a lot.  However. Dave was ALWAYS there to answer questions (before and after), and that's worth the price of membership.

I've also taken Keith Code schools level I - III and worked with Keith personally for several years.  FOR ME, I found more benefit in Code's schools.  Now, this is not to say that you won't benefit from VRS, as I've watched Dave work wonders with a LOT of people.  I just seemed to adapt better to Keith's style of teaching.  

What I can say about the Code schools (and I'd HIGHLY recommend going through at least levels I - III before going to CODERACE, and Keith will recommend if not insist the same) (oh, and if you think you're too good for Level I - III, when Keith works with AMA factory guys or anyone, that's where they start, and they LEARN), is that they are tried and true.  Keith breaks everything down to the simplest element.  Ultimately, you learn to crawl, stand, walk, run.  You'll spend your days going around the track in one or two gears with no brakes, and find yourself learning A LOT from it.

Keith and his staff are around to answer questions and support you, but it's long-distance stuff (email, phone, etc).  This worked for me.  Doesn't work as well for others.

Ultimately, I truly believe that none of these schools are "bad" (VRS, Code, Spencer, American Supercamp, etc etc etc).  It's just how YOU learn that makes the difference.  You quite literally cannot take 3, 4, 5 schools and run 1 person through them and have them get the same result from each.  Likewise, you can't run 10 people through 1 school and have them get the same result either.  

As for your comment on the slide bike, etc, they're great for people who've never wicked up the ass end of a bike, or for the instructors who can lay some REAL impressive darkies down.  

Hope that helps more than confuses...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

SnacktimeKC

Since Dave isn't going to push his program I guess I will. (keep in mind I teach for/with Dave at HPT)

I've taken a lot of different schools, Schwantz, Team Hammer, and others. I started working with Dave when I first got into this whole racing thing then I took his Racer University the fallowing year. He really emphasizes bike setup, a lot of new racers are intimidated by all those knobs and screws ect on their suspension. After Dave's school you come away with the basic knowledge of what they do and how to use them to make your bike faster (and you more comfortable in the process) than the next guy.  He also teaches you little tricks to keep your head right.

That being said I've always wanted to try the Rich Oliver Mystery School just 'cause it's so different.  -Snack

Jason748

Hey Snack... You should come up and instruct at one of Dave's BHF dates.... Just so I can take the class and heckle you a bit  :biggrin:

I've done both Dave's school & Code levels I & II..  I walked away from both much better and learned a ton, but they were completely different experiences.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

SnacktimeKC

ronhix

I can weigh in as a fan of the Freddie Spencer Pro school.  In my opinion, my attendance at the school has completely transformed my riding for the better.  The instructors are top notch at the Spencer school.

I try to go to the school once a year.  Last year was my second visit and I got even more from the second visit than I did from the first.  I leave this Tuesday for my third visit to this school and have great expectations for the trip.

My strategy is to take the class, ask lots of questions, take good notes and then spend the next season trying to master and really "own" what I was taught in the school.  Spencer's pro school does a lot of drills which really help to reinforce what it "feels" like when you are doing it right and what it "feels" like when you are doing it wrong.

In the past, I have learned more in the two days in the school than I could master in the following year of riding.

Hope that helps.
Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

2010 Partners - Hawkeye Superbikes - Trackdaystore.com - Dunlop - Ohlins - Arai - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Ayden Lee Leathers - Vesrah - SIDI - GP Tech - NESBA - CLSB

cbr600_mj

My vote is for Freddie as well. I learned a great deal there.
When I started track days I was feeling as the faster I went I felt less in control.

I took Freddies class and WOW was a night and day difference when I rode again on track days with my friends. They all noticed the differance after me taking the class.

I still have a long way to go before I get faster but now I feel I have the tools to help me have better control over the bike.

Really helped my confidence.

It very expensive but if you crash once with bike repair/replace, Dr. visits, out of work etc etc.. It is well worth taking the class.

Freddie was great and so was Nick I. and Jeff Haney and Dale.

Very friendly and they worked with everyone. They video you on one of your laps and at the end of the day the whole class watches and they critique each rider and talk about how to work to get smoother and faster.

Plus when I was there Jason Desalvo was there and riding around the track with us!  Wayyyy cool!

Freddie also was working with Nikki Hayden. He mentioned that when he was instructing Nikki that they worked ALL DAY on just were his head position was!

ronhix

Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

2010 Partners - Hawkeye Superbikes - Trackdaystore.com - Dunlop - Ohlins - Arai - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Ayden Lee Leathers - Vesrah - SIDI - GP Tech - NESBA - CLSB

jigs

+ 1 on the Wow Ron!!Awesome doing it with you,thank's again.All I can say is,I don't know shit about riding motorcycle's,starting to get a clue.

Firecat

Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

APP_Racing

I have taken The Spencer Level 1 & 2.  Trying to fit the Pro School in the budget and schedule.  Its amazing and you learn every second you are there.  I have also taken the Kevin Schwantz school and enjoyed it greatly.  Did it with friends and was a great weekend. 

I signed up for Dave's VRS last year but couldn't make it.  Will be one of my top 3 priorities to complete this year.

Sorry no Code attendance but you likely can't go wrong.

Guess my question would be are the Spence and Code schools so different that  you shouldn't do both.  Only ask as it seems people pick one or the other.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

ronhix

My understanding is that Spencer and Code teach very different information, some of which is actually contradicting. 

I have never taken Code, but I spoke with a guy in the Spencer class who had taken all the Code levels of classes.  His opinion was that Code stuff is a good place to start for street rider just getting into the track game and riding at a slower pace.  While the Spencer school is a better choice for the experienced track day / racer and works better at a faster pace.

However, my opinion is that it would be better to start with Spencer from the very beginning to avoid a lot of bad habits and then as your pace improves, all those things they are teaching start to work better and better.
Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

Cyklracer

Quote from: ronhix on January 30, 2008, 10:59:43 AM
His opinion was that Code stuff is a good place to start for street rider just getting into the track game and riding at a slower pace.  While the Spencer school is a better choice for the experienced track day / racer and works better at a faster pace.

+1 on the comparative feedback, plus it looks like your karma needs some balance to it

mdr14

Just to balance things out, I swear by Keith Code's teachings. His guidence saved whatever little of a racing career I had left.

I can't compare it to anything else, but it helped me. For whatever reason other people I know did not get the same result I did.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

ronhix

Quote from: Cyklracer on January 30, 2008, 03:03:29 PM
plus it looks like your karma needs some balance to it

Yeah, I think my geometry is off...feeling a little 'smite' heavy, might need to add some rear ride height or something, see if we can get more weight on the 'applaud' end of things.  Feels great to be so loved, haven't even started racing yet.   :biggrin:
Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

jigs

Prolly any school is good for a rider with some natural ability,but need's to learn more about the science of it all if you will.I've never done a school like this,and to do another,wouldn't hurt,but I really feel like I was in the right place for me anyway,at the Spencer school,and frankly,I have plenty to chew on,so I think I'll just stick and work on this philosophy first,otnerwise I'll be REALLY confused!

xseal

Quote from: Cyklracer on January 30, 2008, 03:03:29 PM
+1 on the comparative feedback, plus it looks like your karma needs some balance to it

I agree. I did Code 1-2 as a Harley guy that had never been on the track or ridden a sport bike. Level 3-4 a year later after some track days. Did Spencer pro school last summer after 4 year of racing.

Code for beginners, Spencer for experienced track riders.

gearhead

Since I don't race a 600, I'd like to go to a school where I can ride what I race.
Any thoughts on which school(s) might work in that situation?

dylanfan53

Code has some spots that are BYOB, unless they changed this year.
Don Cook
CCS #53