Lap Timer Questions

Started by PolishPete, January 15, 2008, 07:53:59 PM

PolishPete

More help needed!! 

I started the thread because I saw a good deal and thought about buying it.  I have a list of bike related items that I'd like to get one good deals come around, so I wanted to jump on it.  Heres a link to the item.  Selling for a good and in great condition with box, manuals, display, receiver, and beacon.  Is this the older style MyChron?  On their website they don't have this one, but I've found it around the net.  What are your thoughts on it.  Should I jump on it?

http://www.brgracing.com/timer.html

PolishPete

Looks like this is the MCL model, and they were sold around 02' and 03'.  You guys still think it's good?  Is $125 shipped a good deal for one? 

Again, I just need it to track my lap times so I can use that as a basis to improve.  I don't really need anything fancy now.  I think this should do the trick.  Is the price right?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Super Dave

I think the numbers on the XT are bigger, and the cases, being aluminum, are more durable. 

One of the great things about the XT is that it uses a AA battery.  Now, that's not a big deal until your scanning Walmart and looking at Batteries plus for a $2-$6 battery vs just getting any old AA battery.  That was very, very valuable to me.  I like the XT's ability to label tracks, then have my times for those tracks.  I can look back on the unit itself and look a little at what I did some times before. 

Maybe that helps.  Seems like you'd spend about $170 or so for an XT.  Maybe cheaper?  Think about if those things would add value to what you're doing.
Super Dave

PolishPete

Thanks for the replies and help guys.  I went ahead and purchased the MyChron MCL from this guy.  I paid $100 shipped, and it's in great condition with everything included.  Its a few years older, looks like one of the first "thin" units, and one that XT kind of duplicated from what I can tell, but it'll completely be enough for what I need.  Although it doesn't store the 1200 laps of the XT, the 460 it does should be enough I think.  Plus I'll be inputting them into excel and analyzing/notating differences as I go each weekend, so I think it should be good for my needs.  Now to buy some spare batteries just in case so I'm not roaming Wally World!!

Thanks again.