Lap Timer Questions

Started by PolishPete, January 15, 2008, 07:53:59 PM

PolishPete

I'm thinking about purchasing a lap timer...but I had some questions first.  (of course...somewhere on here I stated I was anal about learning...maybe that's why I'm doing 2 masters right now...but I don't like school like most...wonder what that could be...but that's another thread).

Anyway,  I've heard they're a little negative because it gets people too caught-up in beating their times, and not becoming smoother to be quicker, learning techniques, etc.  However, I don't think I would be one of those people.  I think I would use it to help me improve.  Try new things, see what works and what doesn't work, and track my progress.  What are your thoughts on them.  Do you use one?  Why?  What brand/model?  What are your opinions on the different ones out there.

Of course, I'd wait till a found one used for a good deal, I'm not jumping all over it for no reason...so if you have one for sale, let me know!!

RSimmons

Personally, I've had nothing but bad experiences with the XTs. I've purchased 3 in the last 2 seasons, and all have been sent back for repairs once, and are currently dead.
I've since gone to MyChron, which I really like. I am a bit disappointed that they sent me a defective download cable.

Laptimers helped me improve. Many times I'd feel like I was going fast, but in reality was not. Other times I'd feel like I was going slow, but the laptimes dropped. The feeling of speed (but not actual speed) can be caused by negative things like not being smooth, etc. The laptimer is the only way to separate what feels fast from what is fast.
MW Am #377

roadracer162

I take lots of notes before and after sessions, practice and race. Before the notes are set-up stuff and after are my riding impressions. I use the lap timer as an objective source of information and it has surprised me that even though I may get fatigued, when I relax I actually go just as fast or slow depending on one's perspective.

Mychron 3 with built in temp gauge. It has lasted for 3 years now without a hiccup. Crashed once pretty hard but it faired well.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Scotty Ryan

I like the Mychron better then the XT.... But those are the only two I've used..... I remember Super Dave tested out a GPS based unit that was pretty neat.....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

I've had some XT's.  I like them for the durability compared to what I had from Microns. 

Yes, the GPS unit rocked.  I'll claim all kinds of issues and stuff from my physical defects, but the lap timer is a great tool.  Where is sucks is when someone moves the beacon, takes it away, battery dies...you've got nothing.  At Atlanta, I didn't have a beacon for Sunday, so I didn't recognize any appreciable difference in my last minute changes because I had nothing tangible to guage them. 

The GPS unit would have taken care of that issue.  More money?  Yeah.  But it had other data that I could see myself using.  Pricey, but it might be worth it.  Your mileage may vary.
Super Dave

Jeff

Fred just brought in some new Starlane GPS timers with more data acquisition capabilities which is VERY cool.

Anyhoo...  A laptimer is a tool.  You can use it or abuse it.  Personally I've done both.  I've learned how to use it correctly though and that helped me a lot.  If you don't know your time, you don't know if you're improving.  Feel means almost nothing.

Personally I set my timers so they don't hold the lap time on the screen.  It constantly scrolls.  Where I check my times are at intermediate points in the track.  I.e., I'll be coming out of T6 at BHF and know I should be at like 50 seconds.  If I'm a second high, I'm slow.  If I'm under my "normal" time, I'm on a good lap.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Quote from: Jeff on January 16, 2008, 09:23:30 AM
Fred just brought in some new Starlane GPS timers with more data acquisition capabilities which is VERY cool.
You can't do that without a linky...
Super Dave

mx558

I used to look at it too much so I put tape over the face and check it at the end of the session. It is defintly a great tool as you can think you were haulin ass and were actually slower.

Z-man

Quote from: Jeff on January 16, 2008, 09:23:30 AM

I have an XT and a Mychron, one on each bike.  However, I'll tell you if one of them were to break, I would be all over one of those Starlane GPS units.  You don't need a beacon, it uses Satellites to track your progress.  It will tell you where you are inconsistant and need work, you don't get that from a traditional lap timer, also it can tell you things like if you linked all your best turns together what your optimal lap time would be..  This feature is very interesting for realizing your potential.

Speedwerks has them on special right now.

http://www.speedwerks.com/athon.cfm
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

PolishPete

That thing is sweet, and I'd be all over it if I could fit it in the budget!!

mikendzel

There is another Athon GPS timer that has more features that allows you to download your data to your computer.  One of the features is that it plots the course on your screen in red and blue, showing you WHERE you were accelerating (blue) and decelerating (red).  It also plots multiple laps over one another, but I can't remember what that did. 

It's at hardracing.com

Now I must get back to work so I can afford to race this year....

Super Dave

Quote from: PolishPete on January 16, 2008, 11:35:00 AM
That thing is sweet, and I'd be all over it if I could fit it in the budget!!
Yeah, you know...

A really good lap timer costs less to feed than your wife and/or girlfriend coming to the track and missing laps. 

They always miss your fastest laps too...LOL!
Super Dave

PolishPete

More help needed!! 

I started the thread because I saw a good deal and thought about buying it.  I have a list of bike related items that I'd like to get one good deals come around, so I wanted to jump on it.  Heres a link to the item.  Selling for a good and in great condition with box, manuals, display, receiver, and beacon.  Is this the older style MyChron?  On their website they don't have this one, but I've found it around the net.  What are your thoughts on it.  Should I jump on it?

http://www.brgracing.com/timer.html

PolishPete

Looks like this is the MCL model, and they were sold around 02' and 03'.  You guys still think it's good?  Is $125 shipped a good deal for one? 

Again, I just need it to track my lap times so I can use that as a basis to improve.  I don't really need anything fancy now.  I think this should do the trick.  Is the price right?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Super Dave

I think the numbers on the XT are bigger, and the cases, being aluminum, are more durable. 

One of the great things about the XT is that it uses a AA battery.  Now, that's not a big deal until your scanning Walmart and looking at Batteries plus for a $2-$6 battery vs just getting any old AA battery.  That was very, very valuable to me.  I like the XT's ability to label tracks, then have my times for those tracks.  I can look back on the unit itself and look a little at what I did some times before. 

Maybe that helps.  Seems like you'd spend about $170 or so for an XT.  Maybe cheaper?  Think about if those things would add value to what you're doing.
Super Dave

PolishPete

Thanks for the replies and help guys.  I went ahead and purchased the MyChron MCL from this guy.  I paid $100 shipped, and it's in great condition with everything included.  Its a few years older, looks like one of the first "thin" units, and one that XT kind of duplicated from what I can tell, but it'll completely be enough for what I need.  Although it doesn't store the 1200 laps of the XT, the 460 it does should be enough I think.  Plus I'll be inputting them into excel and analyzing/notating differences as I go each weekend, so I think it should be good for my needs.  Now to buy some spare batteries just in case so I'm not roaming Wally World!!

Thanks again.