OK all you software guru's.......

Started by EX#996, February 27, 2003, 03:36:14 PM

EX#996

The internet Natzi's at work decided to block all non-financial internet sites at work.   ::)  I know this is a software program and is not hardware related.  Any ideas on how to get around it?

Dawn   ???
Paul and Dawn Buxton

ecumike

Dawn, what happens is your computer requests a URL, then the edge servers/firewall software checks it against a list and either passes that request onto the next router outside your CO.s or it returns some sort of "sorry, this URL has been blocked" message.

That's what happens here when you try and goto playboy.com (so I hear), they route your request to an internal server that load the "dude you're stupid for trying to look at this stuff at work" message.

I'll send you some tricks tomorrow to try and get around it.

But remember, you don't know where they came from  ;)

sdiver68

MCRA Race School Instructor

EX#996

QuoteDawn, what happens is your computer requests a URL, then the edge servers/firewall software checks it against a list and either passes that request onto the next router outside your CO.s or it returns some sort of "sorry, this URL has been blocked" message.

That's what happens here when you try and goto playboy.com (so I hear), they route your request to an internal server that load the "dude you're stupid for trying to look at this stuff at work" message.

I'll send you some tricks tomorrow to try and get around it.

But remember, you don't know where they came from  ;)

That is exactly what it does.  I work 10 hour days in a call center.  This board is one of the ways I keep my sanity.  Any help would be appreciated.

If any one asks....

<Sgt Schultz's voice>  I know NOTHING!

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

ecumike

OK my test worked, I was able to access the above 'blocked' site from our CO.s network.

You have to install this small program on your computer though... can you do that at work?... can you get email w/ attachments at work?

How it works is that you are actually sending your request through a remote proxy server, and not your network's proxy server. Hence you bypass it. You can make look like you are coming from ANY country in (edited rest)... umm... maybe I shouldn't be posting this kinda info on a public forum.  Let me know.

EX#996

Send it to my home e-mail address.  I will down load it to a disc.  Plus, no evidence through my work e-mail.

Thanks!

buxton@frontiernet.net

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

ecumike

You've got mail. 8)
Actually Dawn you don't need special software, you can do it right from your broswer. I just sent a second email with the 411

OmniGLH

Hey Michael...

This sounds interesting.  Keep explaining how it works!

...or just send me a copy in my email and I'll figure it out myself  ;)

jptak@dls.net
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

ecumike

Basically, what this does, is it sends your request to the remote proxy server that you specify. THAT remote server goes and requests the URL that you want and returns the info/site to you... kinda like a middle man/concierge/go getter, etc... aka/used for {insert h8ck3r term here}

Where do you 'find' these remote anonymous open proxy servers to go through? well... the story ends here...  :-X  Let's just say you use the big library in the sky. ;)

ecumike

OK you asked for it.. here goes...

You goto/request a Web site in your browser.
When you request www.yahoo.com, your browser, by default, is communicating on port 80 (the default port # for the HTTP protocol - think of it like a channel). It's saying... "talk through port 80 and find me the server named yahoo.com" and by default, yahoo's Web server is going to be speaking on port 80 also so it will hear your request and send you info.

Well your company is/could be listening for all traffic on that port, which is HTTP traffic, or 'requested Web sites'. So they know what you're doing and where you're going every time you click.

Through the multitude of software available, they can trap, filter, cache, monitor, bounce, log, etc... any and all Web page requests from all computers.... Unless of course you 'communicate' on a different port. (which they're not expecting)

So instead of communicating on the default port (80), you find an anonymous, open, HTTP proxy server, which has it's own, different port for communication. This proxy server 'translates' your request from it's 'special' port to the common port (80) for you.

Example: Say there's a proxy server - bpubl014.hgo.se - and the port is set to 3128.
You set/change your browser's HTTP proxy setting to that IP/server, and that port #.

Now when you request www.yahoo.com, you browser is going to send the request to bpubl014.hgo.se - AND - it's gonna do it on port 3128 instead of port 80. When the proxy server gets your request, it goes and gets your requested URL for you, but on PORT 80, b/c that's what all Web sites 'talk' on by default. It then receives the info from that site you requested, and sends it back to you on PORT 3128.

You've now just used a channel that is not being monitored (hopefully) and bypassed big bro. who's monitoring and filtering traffic on PORT 80. :)

In IE, goto on the menu: TOOLS/...INTERNET OPTIONS/...CONNECTIONS. Then if you're on a LAN, select LAN SETTINGS at the bottom. If you're on Dialup, select the appropriate connection in the list, and then 'SETTINGS'

There's a section in there for PROXY SERVER.. click on 'advanced' and change the HTTP fields to your remote proxy server that you 'found'.

Also.. this changes your IP address that gets sent to the Web site that you goto (aka IP spoofing). And yea, there are servers ALL over the world.

Jack's got some proof of me spoofing my info in his Web site stats log ;)

Also again, you will NOT be able to access any internal company sites (intranets), b/c you are bypassing your CO.s firewall/software/servers that route or keep internal requests inside the network

Have fun.

ecumike

If you want to make a trip around the world and see just how fast the internet is for those guys in Japan. pop this one in..  211.7.65.225:80

Results from privay.net:
Hello!   Your IP address is 211.7.65.225
Your computer host name is dns.lpgc.or.jp

spyderchick

ecumike, you must subscribe to 2600.  :D I love that 'zine.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".