amateur on liter bike

Started by DavidV, December 23, 2007, 03:16:01 AM

DavidV

Thanks for the response. You say you ran two races on one set of tires. did that include practice? 

benprobst

Quote from: red900 on December 23, 2007, 10:18:22 PM
I dont know why everyone seems to think the liter bikes eat tires.   Properly set up suspension will go a long way for your tires.  I ran toward the front of the pack and I could make a set of tires last 3 sprint races if I wanted.  I typically only ran two races on a set, but weekends when I could not afford a new set or when the pirelli guy was not at the track, I ran another race on my used tires.   Maybe as a guy that ran a full season on a liter bike I can help.  The liter bike WILL NOT MAKE YOU FASTER.  Yes, you will get to the braking zone quicker, but unless you are fearless, you will start braking sooner than you would on a smaller bike, just because of the crazy closing speeds.  Wielding a 1000 is fun, but it takes a certain kinda guy to make it really work for you.  I guess you wont really know if you are that kinda guy until you saddle one up.....

I prefer the Gsxr's.   But I sure would love to try a new 08 ZX10 with traction control...

Maybe we arent motorcycle riding gods like you, ohh great medium fast amatuer of the universe.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

smite1

Quote from: benprobst on December 23, 2007, 10:25:54 PM
Maybe we arent motorcycle riding gods like you, ohh great medium fast amatuer of the universe.

Well look here... we got all the balls in the world man!

Ducati23

Big bikes = yum yum tires...  $$$$$$
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

roadracer162

In my opinion big bikes are for Experts. If you have the talent to ride one of those and ride it well, one should not be an Amateur.

Background; Street riding for 28 years. Racing for 4 years, 2 as an amateur and 2 as an Expert. I race on what I consider a Lightweight bike but not to many others. Being that it is a 17 year old bike and water-cooled it will only qualify for Thunderbike and LW F40. Won the 2 AM Regional Champisonhips in 2005 and 1 EX Regional Championship in 2007. Faster than some, slower than many.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

red900

Quote from: DavidV on December 23, 2007, 10:25:21 PM
Thanks for the response. You say you ran two races on one set of tires. did that include practice? 

Yes, two races easily sometimes three if needed.  No, that does not include practice.  I would usually just leave the tires I ran in the last race on the bike, and run them in the practice at the following race.   
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

red900

Merry Christmas....
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

JBraun

Trying to decide if I missed the smiley here.

I don't understand why Dustin raced the whole year as an amateur, because he's fast enough to win expert races. But that's his deal.
I'd bet however, that he'd put his stack of am national and regional championship trophies next to yours or anyone's.
Interesting since he's not the guy calling himself "fast"...

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

funsizeracing

Buy an SV  :biggrin:  I could get at least 2 trackdays and a full weekend (4 races) out of a set of tires.

Besides it's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

khanson

I've got a few words for riding a 1000......EVIL and broken bones!!!!

For 99% of riders a 1000 will teach how to pass people really fast on a straightaway, break way too early and be scared to get on the throttle coming out of a turn.  An SV650 or 600 forces you to ride better.....isn't that what we are after.

The problem with a 1000 is they seemed pretty mellow at 85%, however to really ride one fast it is a beast that simply wants to kill you!  I know, I rode them at the AMA level for a couple of years and pounded myself into the ground learning how to ride one.  After 2 years, I finally felt like I was really learning how to ride one about the same time I stopped racing.  They aren't forgiving is the problem.

Case in point, you have the thing leaned over on your knee and you crack the throttle back open....you now have 120hp instantly while leaned over on your knee!  Thats why people highside themselves.

Plus....better have a huge tire budget. Riding a 1000 hard you will get about 12 laps on a new rear tire before it starts to drop off.

Honestly, I enjoyed riding an SV650 or my Ducati more when I was racing because it was a lot less stressful.  It's a blast learning how to push the front around on an SV and it's teaching you how to ride faster.  Can't do it on a 1000 without hitting the ground a lot.

Just my .02cents.

Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309