News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona Spring or Fall?

Started by Toves33, December 22, 2007, 02:23:28 AM

Toves33

Hypotheticaly speaking. If your wife made you choose between racing at the Daytona Spring ROC or the Fall ROC due to budget reasons, which one would you choose and why?

Of course, this isn't  a hypothetical scenario, this is really my life. Ha!

Super Dave

I think Fall.  Personal opinion.  Spring is Bike Week and fall is Biketoberfest.  I think fall has traditionally be just a little easier to get things done.
Super Dave

PJ721

I would say spring...cuz it IS Bike Week  and it makes for a nice way to end the winter :thumb:
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

GSXR RACER MIKE

Both would cost about the same for the actual CCS event, but if your going to stay for Bike Week in the spring your costs would rise very quickly if you have to pay for your accomodations. It's also a double edged sword, if you go in the spring you could potentially have something go wrong at Daytona which could negatively effect your 2008 Regional racing season and then regret having done an optional race -(but you did get to run the AMA configuration to see how different it is), whereas if you wait until the fall you may have something happen during your season which prohibits you from going to the ROC at all. Going in the spring gets your head back in the game before the other people in your Region by starting your season sooner and may also help to identify potential problems with your bike before you get to your 1st Regional race event. On the other hand going in the spring could spend valuable money you need later in your season if you have a crash or something and need money to repair the bike, but waiting till the fall you know what you have to spend on Daytona.

If you haven't been to Daytona for both these events I can tell you that Bike Week in the spring is defenitely much busier, just trying to get from point A to point B can be very frustrating due to the traffic being more like a parking lot on the main roads (especially the further you get into Bike Week). The ROC is cool because it's all the racers who survived their Regional race seasons and it's a great culmination to the season.

If I went to only one, and was going to be staying for the CCS event only, I would also say the ROC in the fall. If your looking to make it a week or 2 long vacation I would then maybe consider Bike Week, but keep in mind you could spend the same amount of time at Daytona in the fall for less money due to hotel costs dropping ALOT once the event is over (Biketoberfest isn't as busy and is shorter than Bike Week as well due to there only being one race org at the track during the entire event instead of 3 like during Bike Week - CCS/AHRMA/AMA).
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

fatboy122

i would say fall..there are no championships to fight for in the spring..

Toves33

Sounds like the Fall race will be the better one for me. Races are hectic as it is, Bike Week will only make it that much more stressful. Thanks for the advice!

rogers1323

The extra hectic of bike week would only come into play getting in and out of the speedway.  I would vote for the spring race.  The AMA layout is much more like a road course.  I don't know that I'll ever go to the ROC in the fall because I am not very interested in riding the traditional layout where you run both sections of the banking.  Other than that I would say it's completely up to you. 

If you're worried about fighting for championships then you probably need to make the round in the spring for the points too.  Though it isn't a double points weekend anymore..........

honda60071

Does the first race "spring" count for the overall and  class pts right? 
Shawn

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: honda60071 on December 24, 2007, 03:28:38 PM
Does the first race "spring" count for the overall and  class pts right? 

Yes, If your in 1 of the regions listed on the schedule for that event.

In my initial response I was implying the regions that don't have the spring Daytona race on their schedule (like here in the Midwest) it would be a (non-points paying) optional event for them. If your in one of the Regions where the spring event is listed as part of your 2008 Regional schedule then that's a different story, in that case missing the spring Daytona event could sacrifice Regional class and/or overall points championship(s) if your looking to go after those.

Toves33

So, the Spring race makes sense especially if the Fall ROC doesn't count for points.

steelcityracer

I would choose spring because of the points.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: Toves33 on December 24, 2007, 11:34:06 PM
So, the Spring race makes sense especially if the Fall ROC doesn't count for points.

For riders (in those regions listed for the spring Daytona event) who are looking at possible regional championships, then yes. Your also correct that the fall ROC event doesn't pay points for any region and will not effect any regional points in any way. The ROC is purely the grand finale where racers from all the regions throughout the country come to compete against each other in an attempt to win a class(es) and lay claim to being the 'National Champion' in that respective class. So if you went to the ROC and won the GTO race you would be crowned the 'GTO National Champion' by winning that 1 race - no matter how you finished thruout the entire race season in your home Region.

I've been to the ROC 5 times, 2 of those years I had also done the spring race, and I live near Blackhawk Farms Raceway (at the Illinois/Wisconsin border). Even if you go to the spring event due to it being on your home regions schedule, as the season goes on you will probably still find yourself justifying a way to make it to the ROC as well - especially if it's in your home region and not 1200 miles away like in my case or even further for others who attend. Unless it's some issue with coordinating vacation time or something like that you may want to consider making both events by just going for the days required for the event itself. It's a 20 hour drive each way for me, and if you include Thursday practice it's a 4 day long event, yet the last couple times I went to the ROC I only missed Wed/Thur/Fri/Mon from work.

If you want to go bad enough you'll find a way to go to both!  :thumb:

Garywc

Quote from: steelcityracer on December 25, 2007, 10:47:13 AM
I would choose spring because of the points.

i would agree its the first points for most regions plus its is something to do when it is still cold out at home
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

d-wire

I would go to the spring event.  It counts for points, and the track is more fun IMHO.  That layout is pretty cool
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

honda60071

who's going, I want to but not really  sure about camping down  there can't seem to find anything on it? Hotels I'm sure are going to be out right stupid! And with going to do team hammer practice plus tires gas food we all know the details. Anyone give me some insight?
Shawn

Toves33

You should even check on hotels outside the immediate area of Daytona. The rates should be less the further away you stay. It sucks that Daytona does not allow camping.

GSXR RACER MIKE

We always stay close, about 2 miles from the track, the added convenience is such a huge advantage. If you figure it out with the cost of fuel now days driving very far out of town with your tow vehicle throws away the economic advantage of a cheaper hotel rate very quickly. Staying close and splitting a room makes the cost difference actually quite small (about $10 per night each from what I figured in our case). Being able to literally go from the hotel to the track in about 5 minutes is so convenient, you can go there at anytime during the day if you want or need to. This adds up to getting more sleep, less time wasted traveling, and your close to everything.

As far as camping at the track goes, Eric Kelcher (with CCS) had mentioned that tent camping was included with your race entry previously, I'm not sure if they have confirmed that for 2008 or not?

rogers1323

There is a ton of camping allowed at Daytona.  They just charge for it.  And there are different rates for different areas.  You just need to contact the speedway for prices and dates.  Or like Mike says, talk to Eric and see what info he has.

honda60071

thanks, any of you going and are you staying in hotels if so have you already made your reservation yet?
Shawn

Eric Kelcher

I will be confirming the free tent camping when I get back to the office.

In regards to motels I will again this year try to get deals arranged for Motels at all the tracks as I did last year. I will start a separate thread on that as I would like a littleinput before finalizing all the deals.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Garywc

CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

honda60071

just nightly rates wed,thurs,fri,sat. I guess this is how long most racers will stay, right?
Shawn