1st gen SV-ohlins setup/maintaince

Started by jaredra, November 17, 2007, 01:20:14 AM

jaredra

I have some basic set up and maintenance question about a used ohlins shock for my 1st gen sv.

Set up-

1st) I need some ball park set up figures for rebound and compression settings. (number of clicks from stop)
2nd) I need a close estimate (either eye to eye length, or # of bottom threads showing) on ride height.

Some spec's
99 sv650 naked
forks raised in triples 8mm
seat foam removal- replaced w/ 1/2" high density foam
180lbs

Maintenance-

3rd)  What is the recommended maintenance period before rebuilding is required?  This shock has a full season of racing on it.  What is recommended (Rebuild, oil change...)??

Any help would be appreciated

Jack_Brock

Do you have the stock forks with emulators?  If so, you don't have rebound and compression adjustment without changing fluid(reb) or pulling the emulator and adjusting(comp).  Anyway, if the front end is good, adjust the shock compression and rebound until the rear goes down and up with the front and you are there.  Sorry I'm no help on how many clicks out from the stops, but I think there are too many variable to do that anyway.

I freshen my shock every other year, but I only do 4-5 races and 2-3 track days per year.

Good luck.

www.caferacerinc.com
GP Expert #914

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

benprobst

The problem with the ohlins on SV is it doesnt offer enough ride height. Our nuetral set up (start off) ride height on the sv with a penske is taller than the ohlins even offers, we normally end up lengthening the shock quite a bit after initial set up too. Jack it up as far as possible and hope its enough. We rebuild our shocks minimum once per year, normally twice. Forks get new oil 2-4 times a year, and a tear down with cartridge clean once or twice. On some SV's with ohlins ive been associated with the only way to get the bike high enough in the air was to raise the triples above the top of the forks, then we had to add ballast to the front of the bike to get our desired weight distribution. If you have any experience with race bikes, you should be able to get the clickers close (i.e. able to get right withing two track sessions) just by bouncing the bike with your body weight, if you dont have any experience than find a racer buddy and bounce on the bike for him, he should be able to get it close enough to get on the track and get some real feedback.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

grasshopper

We found that 13 3/4 to 14 inches is around where you want to be on the eye to eye length. Ultimately (from my experience) you want 51% of the bikes weight on the front tire and 49% on the rear. Rite now I have the forks down 10mm and the shock at 13 7/8. But occasionally, depending on tires and conditions I have to alter that. Ken from Superbike Italia does a fine job helping me out with my suspension. I get the rear shock recharged once a year and go through my forks about 5 times a year. I usally have a spare set of forks with me incase of a crash or if I want to swap them out for a set with fresh oil at the track. Start off with the compression and rebound adjustments set in the middle then adjust and play from there. Try to be smooth on the throttle from the apex to the exit of every corner and your tires will last twice as long.

Also as mentioned above relating to the Ohlins shock length adjustment. There is a line on the clevis you are not supposed to go past. If you can't achieve your ride height/weight bias numbers the shock may have to modified internally to get more length out of it. You want enough of the clevis threaded into the bottom of the shock to safely race your motorcycle. I had a hard time getting a longer clevis from Ohlins. The penske on my other SV allows you over 14 inches of eye to length.

jaredra

Wow excellent replies guys
I have heard many sv racers say that once they got their ride height dialed in the bike really handled well.  It looks like the penske would have been the easier way to go.  I will jack the back up (making sure to keep enough clevis thread on the bottom)  and I will definitely try to start getting the compression and rebound close by bouncing on the bike and looking for front and rear harmony. These are great tips.  Thanks again guys

By the way Grasshopper, did you ever get the longer clevis from Ohlins?

grasshopper

No I did not. But if you know a good tool maker he mite be able to make you one.

Resurrection does good work and you can reach him at resurrection03@hotmail.com.

I had my shock lengthened internally by Ken at Superbike Italia. 708-447-5110. I'm not exactly sure what he did to it, I think he shimmed it internally to get me to the sweet spot.

Contact both these guys and see which way you want to go. Ultimately, depending on where you are located, Superbike Italia will be able to set up your suspension correctly and give you a base line to work off of.

catman

Quote from: grasshopper on November 20, 2007, 10:02:41 AM
No I did not. But if you know a good tool maker he mite be able to make you one.

Resurrection does good work and you can reach him at resurrection03@hotmail.com.

I had my shock lengthened internally by Ken at Superbike Italia. 708-447-5110. I'm not exactly sure what he did to it, I think he shimmed it internally to get me to the sweet spot.

Contact both these guys and see which way you want to go. Ultimately, depending on where you are located, Superbike Italia will be able to set up your suspension correctly and give you a base line to work off of.

AH Nick - Shouldn't  ken be in your list of gurus  below? 

Greg_Williams

You might want to think about selling the Ohlins on ebay and buying a new Penske or Elka.  Ohlins is a high quality product but it's usually 'off the shelf' whereas Penske and Elka will build the shock specifically for your needs.  By the time you get your Ohlins serviced and sprung for your weight you may be very close to the purchase price of a new shock built specifically for you.  Both Penske and Elka have terrific customer service and will take very good care of you.

I bought a SV racebike in 1999 and when I talked with Penske about chassis geometry at the beginning of the 2000 season they offered to set me up with a longer clevis based on the experience that they had gained in the first season of racing SV's.  This kind of service may make it worth stepping up to a new shock.

The other posters are right in shock length, about 13 7/8" eye to eye is a good place to start from.

Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

catman

Quote from: CATMAN on December 14, 2007, 08:32:24 PM
AH Nick - Shouldn't  ken be in your list of gurus  below? 

oooops there it is