Shinko Race Tires?

Started by cbirk, November 14, 2007, 08:43:37 PM

cbirk

Has anyone heard anything good (or bad) about these particular tires. Shinko offers a DOT and a slick race tire available on the market. They appeal to me for one reason and one reason only; PRICE. At $176/pair they look quite appealing. I know the slogan, "you get what you pay for", so thats why I'm asking.  I was thinking about giving them a try but I am a little skeptical. I've read they are a subsidiary of Yokohama.

Thoughts?

GSXR RACER MIKE

Hmmmmm, experimenting with cheaper unknown tires on a $10,000 investment - Glad it's you and not me!

GOOD LUCK!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

snakemanracing95

Just an FYI, shinko in Japanese means "used".  :cheers:

Super Dave

Every manufacturer makes a sport/racing tire, but you only see a few actually operating competitively in club competition. 

You're not going to reinvent the tire using something outside the regular rehlm of manufacturers' inventory, and, like Mike said, you do take some risks.

Good luck!

Super Dave

Jeff

Depends on what you want to do.  If you just want to ride around the track at a comfortable commuting pace, they'll probably last you a season and work well.

If you want to competitively RACE, you're pissing away your money on anything other than the main 4 (dunlop/pirelli/michelin/bridgestone).  There comes a point when you end up realizing that you can't afford NOT to do certain things (suspension, tire warmers, fresh tires).
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

Shinko tires are a joke!
Their race tire is used on drag bikes. The profile on them are setup for drag bikes. Totally flat in the rear for more tire on the road.
Any good real racing tire would deliver much more traction than Shinkos. I have road a couple of customers street bikes with those mounted and laughed as I pulled out of the driveway. No traction whatsoever & the profile make it feel like your riding on flat tires.
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

cbirk

Thanks for the feedback.   I guess I'm sticking with my Pirellis.  :thumb:

smite1

I think Rossi is switching to them next year! :)