'Grid/Starts' etiquette question for the experts

Started by Speedballer347, February 23, 2003, 09:57:46 AM

Speedballer347

I have been bumped into the expert class, and I am NO expert.
I have no fear/problem racing expert, and also understand I will not be competitive anymore.
That's fine.

But my question has to do w/ riding etiquette in the expert class, in regard to 'gridding/starts'.

What is the correct proceedure for amateurs racing expert, on sprint-race 'starts'?
Should I start from the back, and try to work my way forward, or is it OK for an amateur to pre-reg and start up front, and then just drift rearward in positions?
I do not want to hold up the people who are actually racing/competitive, and I would like to get their point of view.

If an amateur (slower expert) gets a good hole-shot, do you guys just cruise around him at first oppertunity, or do you say "f'n moron, get outta da way!!!!!!"

I understand the urgency associated w/ a good start in expert sprint races to the leaders, so I guess I am asking.....is it OK for me to pre-reg, or should I wait and register @ the track and get gridded in the back?
If I do pre-reg, is it OK to get a good hole-shot and get in front of better riders, or should I just kinda lightly accellerate, and hang back w/ the midpackers.

I don't want to cause any probs out there, so what's the answer?

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

5bikemike227

don't worry, make,em pass ya. ha-ha.

Speedballer347

Quote           don't worry, make,em pass ya. ha-ha.
I thought you promised me you were gonna quit drinking during the day ;D ;)

5Bike, I need to talk w/ ya this week.  I'll holler at ya in a day or two 8)

JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Baltobuell

I got to ride the Buell Lightning series as an Amature but could get good starts. The fast guys won't be behind you long. The REAL aggressive types will bounce you out of the way if you hold them up. I only worried about it on the last lap if it looked like they may get near lapping me. They got closer than I would have liked, but it didn't happen. It would have sucked to screw up the leader. From the start, go for it.

nfcracin

start in back so I have a chance to bet ya. :D :D

Speedballer347

Quotestart in back so I have a chance to bet ya. :D :D
Another drunk one ;D
If you pass me, I am burnin' your wheelie footage ;)

the_weggie_man

You're an expert .... you have earned the right to grid wherever you want in an expert grid. Front or back, don't worry about it, run your race and let the others run theirs.

Remember, you are racing the track not other riders. Your job is to get around the race track as fast as you can, nothing else. Don't worry about who is in front or in back of you.

You say you have no fear of racing expert ... then why this question?

tzracer

As we teach in Licensing Clinics, you have 2 grid positions, the one you are assigned and the last row of the experts in your case. It is best to say something to the grid people but not necessary.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Litespeed

Experts are no different than amateurs except for the color of there plates.  Would you consider gridding at the back of an amateur grid because the other riders were faster than you?  OF COURSE NOT.  Take the best grid you can and run the best race you can.  You might be surprised how fast you can go when you have someone fast to follow...

Speedballer347

QuoteYou're an expert .... you have earned the right to grid wherever you want in an expert grid.
Weggie, thanks for the props, but I didn't earn P@@P!
Through nothing more than aggressive riding, I was able to get upfront (in AM) and thus bumped.  
Nothing more, & nothing really earned....in MY book.

My lack of seat time, and zero-knowledge of any track other than Gateway means, I will be an eratic hazard to any 'true' expert who is closing on me @ mach-5 :P

Holding up a COMPETITIVE expert at the start (even for a few corners ) can decide the outcome, and my intention is NOT to hold up some racer, while I battle my way to 10th (or 20th) :P ;D
That's not racing....that's holding people up.

QuoteYou say you have no fear of racing expert ... then why this question?

What's to fear(?), finishing mid-pack expert, as opposed to front-pack amateur? No fear here.
I think you misinterpreted my original post.
Anyway, racing expert won't be half as scary as riding the bike I was racing in 2002 :P ;D

I suspect I will pre-reg, and then just start 'lite' to let the Playaz go....then race/dice w/ my buddies from amateur 2002  :) 8)

r6_philly

QuoteI suspect I will pre-reg, and then just start 'lite' to let the Playaz go....then race/dice w/ my buddies from amateur 2002  :) 8)
Don't you think "starting lite" would cause more of a hazard? The Expert who grided behind you didn't reigster til late, and want to make up for that by having a great start. Would he know that you will not be giving it all on the start? I suspect you will hold more people up on the start than during the race.

If you always go back to the rear of the grid, when would you decide you are ready to fight with the faster racers? Since you will be in the back riding your own race, maybe with your buddies, would you learn as fast as you would up front?

I suggest you just go out, ride as well as you want, and don't worry about everyone around you. Someone who is a fast expert has been riding for a long time, and passed countless people. Many races in CCS are combined, and many experts have to get around slower AM's during the race when lapping them. Besides, if an Expert wants a good chance at winning, and don't want to be held up, there is always the option of register earlier than you.

I have watched and timed expert races in MA, many experts(mid pack and back) ran the same or slower laptimes than winning AM's. You will have people to race and you may come out on top.

Experts know the gridding proceedure. If any of them know they always have a good chance of winning, they would have registered ALREADY. We do not time qualify, everyone knows this, and everyone who doesn't want to get held up can do something about that by registereing early. Being held up? its a part of racing, and I hope all our experts know it is a fact of life and have had plenty of opportunities to practice dealing with that. I think you should be confident, ride well, and you may be fighting for the podium sooner than you think. If you accept that you will be slower than most before the season, then what is your racing goal?

Good luck at the races, you will be just fine :)

duc995@aol.com

You can always grid at the back of the pack after the warm up lap.  I did this when I first started racing so I would have more people to chase down and practice passing! ;D