News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How much for that # plate sir?

Started by skimp, April 17, 2002, 09:03:16 PM

skimp

After a few months of listening to a "Wheener" wheen about buying number plates, I will reply to a "wheeners" dislike for working class people. I have heard snide remarks and read childish complaints about rich people buying number plates, and at one point stealing a number plate. Even a Wheener should eventually figure out that something bought is not stolen. Being from a dirt poor family, and watching (Wheeners) fair sumptuously every day as I grew up, I want to put this whining in perpective. I started working at age 14, didn't make it through high school, and was looked down on by wheeners because we were poor. I don't want to dwell on my poverty but niether will I let some whining spoiled brat tread on 30 years of busting my butt every day to raise 2 kids as a single parent, kids that would get slapped under the couch today for "wheening" because they sat on their laurels while someone else worked to do things they enjoy. For 25 years I wanted to race and couldn't afford to. Well, at age 40, the kids are grown, most of the bills are payed, and Dads going racing. I still work my butt off every day so I can have a little fun, and I have never whined because someone else tried harder than myself. Those who are getting to race while they are still young enough to be good at it should count their blessings and leave old men who's racing days are numbered to do their best. Hundreds of racers and a couple of whiners, or (Wheeners,) trying to cause strife with everyone. Seems like Wheeners are blessed with bugle mouths. As for being called a sphinter worm (A-Hole) because I stole his number plate, I wouldn't consider someone a thief if they beat me by 2,423 points. It was more like a give away. If I had just wanted the #1 plate, I could have saved a lot of money and just raced enough to win but I would have missed all the fun. Notice the word FUN Wheener. Racing is fun for the rest of us. You act like you almost won the region or something. 2400 points is not close. I will now make a point about money and riding skills. If I was offered a thousand dollars to shave 3 seconds off my best lap time, I would turn it down, or crash. It's real simple, money does not buy speed and you can't buy a championship with entry fees. I am not a fast rider. You act like you've been raped by a squirrell or something. Mid-Atlantic class points: I was 2nd in GT Lights, 2nd in GTO, 2nd in HW Superbike, 2nd in LW GP, 1st in F-40, 3rd in GTU, 3rd in LW Superbike, 3rd in MW Superbike, 3rd in MW Sportsman, 4th in Supertwins, 4th in Supersigles, 4th in LW Superbike, and 5th in HW Sportsman. In SE Region: 1st in F-40, 1st in MW Sportsman, 1st in GT Lights, 2nd in GTU, 2nd in Supertwins, 2nd in LW GP, 2nd in MW Superbike, 3rd in MW GP, 3rd in GTO, 3rd in HW Sportsman, 4th in HW Superbike, 4th in LW Superbike. If you can buy speed how much would I have had to spend to win all those classes Wheener? There must be an amount in your mind. How much? How much would it cost for me to ride as fast as Hayden or Bostrom? I could do no better If I had spent a million dollars. I rode as good as I could ride, I finished the best I could. Use your head Wheener, think before you say something dumb.

Litespeed

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell are you talking about?

Papa_Thiam

I think it would be cool if people who bitch online about other people did so under their real name. Just my opinion.

Garth

Wiener or whiner.  What the hell is Wheener?  ::)

MudDawg

Hmmm...I'm thinking this is addressed to me.  Yup....ya still bought the plate.  I'd say that to your face.  I asked you point blank if you were going after the #1 plate in the mid atlantic region.  You looked me in the eye and lied to me.  Shame on me for believing you.

And beating me by 2400 points.....by doing 15 races a weekend...to my normal 5...isn't a challenge.  Especially where up until the midpoint in the year I was leading the region....and you...with just those 5 classes.  Three of which I won....2 I got second....in my region.  In fact...I won a couple in YOUR region....one right out from under you in the last race of the season on a borrowed bike.  And ya know what....I didn't run your whole season.

And just to underline my first comment.  Driving a BMW 650 up to Summit...and running around 15 races in last place on a double points weekend....pretty much means you bought the plate.  I believe I lapped you 2 or 3 times in one race.  That weekend you earned what....1800 points or so?  To my 1000?  Nevermind the other 13 race weekends where you ran twice as many races as I did.

LAG

Umm, excuse me, do you realize how stupid and idiodic you just made yourself look?  

Marc Gifford

Litespeed

I'm sorry LAG, I will try not to do it again  ;D.

MudDawg

I'm truely hoping Laura is talking about McKinney and not me.  DOH!   ;D

ysr612

I agree with Papa as if you are going to cut someone you should ID yourself but in this case he did on his name tag.

LAG

I'm talking about the so-called racer who started this thread.  I have no respect for anyone who talks about other racers like that, especially Keener!!!...this isn't the pros, ya'll.

LAG

Chris Onwiler

Money bought a #1 plate?  Who's really the whiner here?  There is a grand tradition of $$$ ruling racing.  From Porsche literally killing the Can-Am with it's 917 racecar, to Ford outspending Ferrari to win the World Championship in 1967, spending has always been a traditional part of winning.  I don't like this either, but a man has to face reality.  I race an FZR in a class dominated by SV Suzukis.  I wish I could have an SV, but I race what I can afford.  I built a 560 motor, and things started to look up for me.  Then a competitor bought an SV that passes R6's in a straight line!  Drat!  Outmoneyed again.  I know it sucks, but it has happened to me, my dad back in the day, and a million other guys since racing began.  You don't have to like it.  I sure don't.  But you DO have to accept that it can and will happen.  God knows that if I hit the lotto, I'd show up at Blackhawk with the Team Muzzy rig and Freddy Spencer as a coach, and I'd laugh and celebrate if I spent enough to walk away.  Would anyone else do differently?
Chris

ecumike

.. Yea I would,  I'm thinking... an NSR500.

Something about having 200 HP as opposed to my 62, on a bike of the same weight :o, gives me the grins ;D.  though no to mention, a deathwish  

Speedballer347

Number plate or not, if you regularily hand someone their ass on the track you are a better/faster rider.  Period...end of discusion :D
I could care less who has more 'points' than me, all I care about is when the green flag drops I go like hell and try to make it to the checkers first.

Winning the race, that's what it's all about.  Right?
CCS#347
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Admin

Well, I can understand the sentiment of both perspectives here, although work on the presentation might be nice :).  I guess everyone is in this sport for a different reason, and I'm not sure exactly how you go about making everyone happy all of the time.  I'm in the sport because I'm having fun.  I took home my first two 4rth place plaques last time out, and I can tell you that that was fun.  I'm sure taking home #1 plates is fun too, and maybe some day I will...but, everyone is stuck under the same rules, and in this case, it benefits people to run more races.  If it was changed, there would probably be another way money would make the difference between 1st and 2nd, as the person with the most money can probably build the best bike (I realize that doesn't make up for everything).  

So, maybe next year they change the rules, and maybe someone buys a better team/bike instead of runs more races...it all plays a part.

I just think that name-calling and finger pointing is silly...everyone played within the rules, the outcome is the outcome...I don't think anyone cheated?  Don't disparage the guy who has more money and got the #1 plate just because he has more money...don't we all wish we had the same ability?  As DOC said, this is the "CCS forums for happyness and joy" ;).

Shawn

skimp

I will identify myself. Jeff Mckinney. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut but I've been ignoring a lot of criticism for several months, and hearing the same old junk at VIR just hit a nerve I guess. If you are a Keener fan, so am I. We had a lot of fun racing this year and he is probably a better rider than me. This is the first time I have said anything negative, after listening to put downs for the last few months. If anyone hears more about someone cutting me down, do me a favor and don't come tell me. I hope we can have as much fun this year as last. Several times Steve and I raced neck and neck all the way to the checkered flag and I loved it win or lose. I let things build up over the past few months and this was not the place to air it out. I hope I have not made racing seem like some soap opera. Everyone gets along great 99% of the time and I hope the good racing continues. I plan to talk to Keener and make things right so we can have the fun we did last year.

Admin

Jeff,

That's a very classy response.

Shawn

CBRman93

Here's my $.02. I am sure that no matter where you go there will be complaints and criticism, trash talking and name calling. But it seems to all breed from competition. We are all out there to have fun and COMPETE. Whoever wins, regardless of how they did it, is still the winner.
In my opinion, the bad mouthing should go to the guys who ran over the sign at VIR and made us all look bad. Did they ever own up? Doubt it.
So all the talk about number plates and who wants it, needs it, buys it, etc. is bull..... Maybe one day I'll be in the running for the #1 plate but to me it doesn't matter. What does matter is the feeling I get when all the hard work and well earned money gets me on that grid for a chance to compete with all of you and at the end the day swap stories of how I stuffed a guy/gal to take whatever position it was, regardless if it was 2nd to last or in the top 10.

I just want to race!

Ben
CCS #501

Late_Apex_Racing

Well said Ben!
As for stuffing someone, just wait until the next races man!  I got your number. HAHA  Just kidding.  Hope everything is OK after your "get off" last weekend.  'Nut got his bike back together.  Keep in touch.

Ken A.
CCS#750
Nesba#318
www.lateapexracing.com
804-339-5255 Cell
804-354-1500 Office

ecumike

geesh, yea really... I wish I could just GET on the grid... all my hard work and well earned $ got me about 4 practice sessions , then a missed raced, then a blown piston... man my first race weekend was crap.  I guess it's all uphill from here. (knock on wood)

CBRman93

Yeah thanks Ken. Don't worry, got your number too...LOL! I talked to Peanut yesterday. I got mine back together too except for the damaged body work. Nothing a little fiberglass can't take care of. And some cans of spray paint!!

Sorry to hear about the blown piston. I know how ya feel. My last NESBA day in Nov. ended after 4 laps at CMP when a bad coil fried my CDI. Thank goodness for e-bay.

1slowguy

I know the feeling mike.  I have 2 bent forks, an exhaust with more creases than a load of clothes left in the dryer, and anything you can think of on the right side is TOAST.....  Looks like Im gonna have to build it from the ground up...  Hey ben, I too am going to live on EBAY as soon as I can come up with some money...  I know everyone needs rains... BUY THEM   :'(    Good to hear from you ken, I saw your update on your webpage.. Glad you had lots of fun.  

sdiver68

Quoteif you hand someone their ass on the track you are a better/faster rider.  Period...end of discusion :D

Winning the race, that's what it's all about.  Right?
CCS#347

Does that mean the Japanese privateers at Sugo that beat the factory riders are faster than the factory guys?  ???

MCRA Race School Instructor

CBRman93

I wouldn't say they are faster overall but on their home track yes. I would say anyone who has raced their whole life at one track should be able to beat anyone if they have the right gear and setup. you got to think that those non-factory guys winning are the ones who will be factory guys in the next few years.

Speedballer347

QuoteDoes that mean the Japanese privateers at Sugo that beat the factory riders are faster than the factory guys?  ???
When the national guys come to our local track, they go faster than the local fast-guys.
If I beat a guy at my local track, then I beat him.
If someone beats me at a track I don't know as well, I got beat.  

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Eric Kelcher

Privateer??? ah when is the Japanese Honda Squad (Cabin) a privateer team? Wildcard entry yes but not a privateer. Same as when the AMA factory teams run the Laguna Seca round of WSB.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

GKing

Arguments like this make the performance index CCS is using more valid.  If you haven't seen the index it's with the points totals.  This takes the "you ran more races than I did" out of it.  It is an index of how you did when you were on the track in that class.  Check it out. ::)

LAG

Jeff: we all take criticism for some reason or another...being the fastest rider, being the slowest rider, making a mistake on the track, braking too early/too late...you name it!!!!  That's something we all have to remember and learn to keep our thoughts and feelings in check.  Don't take that kind of anger out on the track!  That would be the worst thing you could do.

Glad to see you apologized...Have a safe, fun and relaxed season.

Laura