News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

custom parts [ lastest garge projects]

Started by resurection, November 04, 2007, 09:01:24 PM

resurection

resurection

Where did you guys go?
I'm thinking maybe we can put the FZR stem into the R6 trees maybe much cheeper.
And Maybe Noidly can offer more advice?

K3 Chris Onwiler

I just got my 03 R6 front end today after winning it on EBay.  After measuring both front ends, my conclusion is that the fork offset differs between the FZR400 and the R6 by a mere .5 mm.  Half a mil is totally do-able without disturbing the handling.  I'd heard that this was true but feel better now that I've measured the parts myself side by side.  Also, the steering stops match up and I think the FZR ignition switch may even bolt to the R6 triple, though I haven't tried that yet.

Gus, I have all the parts now, as well as some ideas for how we can make them work.  You're the god of machine tools, so I'm not going to mess with this until you're around.  Call me when you get back from vacation.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

resurection

I'm home and ready to play motorcycles .

Once I get this whole plan under my belt I can hook anybody up .
I'm hoping to install FZR stem into R6 clamps ,Maybe some bushings and light machining to the clamps.

K3 Chris Onwiler

I dropped both sets of triples off at Ressurection today.  Can't wait for the finished product!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

resurection

Ok then here we go .
After measuring all parts I've found the lower clamp needing to be cut larger in dia.allowing a bushing to be placed between stem dia. and clamp.
   Theses photos show step one the only mod to clamps required.
Step two; will be turning two bushings, one for spacing the larger top clamp hole to the smaller stem witch is a loose fit for top assembly,and the bottom a press fit bushing to hold stem into bottom clamp.
  there will also be a new washer atop the top clamp.

roadracer162

I like. I will be snding mine shortly also.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

resurection

Good I will look forward to hearing more from you.

resurection

Ok were all done .
About 6 hrs for the first set .
any in the future of the same design will be billed 5hrs @ $40hr
  $ 200.00 includes return shipping

Bottom clamp bushing was press fit with some heat .
top bushing includes shoulder to equal FZR's top clamp thickness and is a slip fit.

Please call if I can help 1 708 269 3102

Noidly1

Looks good Gus...

Did you get the link for the bearings in the PM I sent ya?

BTW. PM me your address so I can send my stuff to you.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

resurection

Thanks for your suggestions .No I didn't call them but yes I got the E mail

I tell most people they're supplying the parts I can't afford their parts up front .

K3 Chris Onwiler

Well, I installed the modiified R6 triples on my FZR400, and I couldn't be more pleased.  I'd done a bunch of online research before buying the forks and had read many posts on how other people had solved the stem swap issue.  Everything I read seemed a bit iffy for racing use.  How much would it suck to have your lower triple clamp come loose at speed?
Within a few minutes of having the parts on his bench, Gus was drawing his solution on a piece of paper, complete with dimensions.  The finished triples were in my hands 48 hours later, with an interference-fit, interlocking bushing design that I completely believe is stronger than the parts it is holding together.  There's no way Gus's design will fail, because it was designed right and made with high quality billet.  Well worth the money.
Gus?  Next paycheck I'll be needing some wheel spacers!  It's like an aluminum addiction....