Tires - specifically Michelins

Started by Decreasing_Dave, February 22, 2003, 04:17:23 PM

Decreasing_Dave

I've been running on Dunlops.  I don't like them.  As I've stated before, they don't suit my style.
My style, as best as I can define it, is to push the tires until they start to slide.  This is when I know where the traction is.  Dunlops slide too easy and don't give much drive while sliding.

I have Metzlers on my street R1 and love them.  I pushed the front on a local "cold" turn to the point of tucking.  There was ZERO panic involved with this.  I felt like I had control of it the whole time, even as the front tire was turning in.  I just stood it up a little until it caught and continued to rail the turn.

This is what got me leaning towards Pirellis, but contingency is an issue.

My question is this (finally).  Will Michelins give me ANY type of predictability when they are starting to slide??  I will be using tire warmers from now on (after sliding off turn 1 at SoW at over 100 mph).  I just need a tire that will give me some feedback before they just wash away and put me on my a$$.

Thank you for the help.

EX#996

Dave:

What kind of bike do you run?

Dawn

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Decreasing_Dave

EX#996

Sorry, I can't help you.  Hopefully another with an R6 will offer and opinion.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

brookester

I hear Ford has some Firestone take-offs for cheap! ;)

ice

I have an R6 and last year I raced on Pirelli/Metzeler, Michelin and Dunlops.

In my opinion:
Pirelli's offered the best grip, but once I crossed over the line, I ended up on my back.  Usually I would get a slide out of the front or the rear, but it wasn't easy for me to get a consistent slide out of both tires at the same time.  If the front or the rear slides too much while the other tire still has traction, as you know, you end up on your ass,... next ...
The Michelin's had slightly less grip than Pirelli and they also had less feel, so I was on my back even quicker than the Pirelli's...
Dunlops seemed to have OK feel and it didn't seem like I had the grip that I had on the Pirelli's, but...... I didn't crash, my finishes were higher, the contingency was higher, and the tires were cheaper.  
So, I stayed with Dunlops for the remainder of the season.
Several times I stepped out the rear under acceleration and I was always able to save it.  My riding style is such that I like to push the front when entering turns.  The Dunlops seemed to let me get away with these slides without falling down.

In one race, on Dunlops I lost the front and the rear at the same time, but the slide was so consistent and even on both tires, that I was able to push the bike back up with my knee and keep going.  With the other tires, one would always let loose before the other and that would be the end.....

FWIW I would stay with the Dunlops, even though you may not like the feel, you will probably see more finishes and less money spent on broken motorcycles in the long run.

Nate R

Can anyone with multiple tire brand experience comment on tires on the SV? Dawn/Paul? Anyone use bridgestones on any bike? How do they compare, feedback, grip, and warm up time wise?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

K3 Chris Onwiler

I ran Bridgestones on my FZR560 superbike at the start of last year.  I about had a heart attack when I switched to Pirelli.  Everyone was asking what had gotten into me, because I suddenly became a player.  Call it 6 amatuer regional championships for Pirelli!!!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

tcbikes

I would call myself nothing less than a tire whore, running whatever I can get at a good price.  

I ran all except Bridgestones last year, to include slicks on a gsxr750...

Top traction goes to Dunlop/Michelin...I think this is why riders think they goe off too much...your coming down from the highest level of traction.  Biggest diference between these is the Michelins get squirmy at the end of their life, while the D's just start to slide.  

Pirelli/Metzeler...less traction, but highest level of consistency front new to abused.    

Super Dave

Traditionally, Michelin tires have always had the highest level of traction.  However, when they begin to slide, they do so abruptly because they had SO much traction before they let loose.

Now, as I guy that has ran lots and lots of different tires over the years, you can't just put on a different set and go.  The tires have different heights even though the sizes are the same.  And the actual contour, the shape, if you will, of the tires is different too.  Your final geometry between tires will be different.  I've you're going from a Dunlop to a Michelin and not changing ride heights at some point on the bike, you're missing something in the set up.
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteCan anyone with multiple tire brand experience comment on tires on the SV? Dawn/Paul? Anyone use bridgestones on any bike? How do they compare, feedback, grip, and warm up time wise?

Nate:

What I can tell you is this.  Paul had more success with the Perilli's than the Michelins.  Like SD said, when the Michelins let go, that's it.

Perilli's had a softer compound available than the Michelins but apparently this year Michelins have a new compound available in the SV sizes.  Paul will probably try it out because the price difference between the Perilli's and the Michelins is significant.  If Michelin didn't come out with a new compound this year for the SV, Paul would have run Perilli's exclusively.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

numbskullz58

I had no problem getting the Michelins to slide on a regular basis, and in a good way I might add. I think all three brands make a great product, that is as long as you have your bike set up correctly. But, from my experience, of the michelins v. the pirellis I was able to go faster on the Michelins. Now I have never ridden dunlops so I can't comment of those, but I hear good things. The problem is the dunlops that I hear good things about club racers will never see.

Steve