New and looking for a little advice

Started by Joeman, November 01, 2007, 02:38:32 PM

Joeman

Hey everyone. My name is Joe and Ive recently just joined up (obviously) after lurking for a few weeks. I live over here in Daytona Beach and I have been very enthusiastic about wanting to get into the racing scene. Im making it a goal of mine to attend a racing school next year and hopefully get my CCS license and be able to attend a few races in October here at DIS. Ive so far attended a trackday at Jennings but Im going again in March.

Since I am a poor ass college student all I could afford for a racebike was a 2001 gsxr-600. It dosent have much done to it. Just a M4 full system, race body work, steering damper and a lightened rear rotor (not sure if the rotor is within SS rules). Anyone have any advice or tricks that you can do to the bike without going out of SS rules?

I was thinking about attending the Ed Bargy school. Anyone recommend anything else or has anyone taken the school with Ed?

-Joe

spyderchick

Welcome, now prepare yourself to be really poor.  :biggrin:

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Joe, I teach a school up a ways from where you're at.  I would personally recommend Ed's school.  He's a good man, and he does a good job.

Keep the bike simple.  Depending upon your weight, a different set of springs, front and rear, could better the overall chassis support and the feel of the bike.  I don't know if you have steel braided brake lines, but that's always good.  I use DP Brake pads.  Work very, very well, easy to get, and inexpensive compared to some of the stuff out there.

And the lightened rear rotor is fine for supersport.
Super Dave

Joeman

Thanks Dave for the info. Ive actually got a 2006 gsxr1000 rear shock on the way along with braided brake lines for the front. Ive got an extra set of Versa HH pads (from my sv1000) as well. Oh and I forgot that the forks have been worked by Traxxion Dynamics for the previous owner who was around 180lbs. Im sitting at about 155lbs (without gear). Im guessing the suspension should be fairly good after I get it all tuned in (to the best of my knowledge).

-Joe

unter_kid

I was in exactly the same boat last year.  The one thing that I would highly suggest is to be totaly honest with yourself from a financial stand point.  There are a couple of us who did OK or better our first year, but we didn't make it back for 2007 because we (myself included) ran out of cash.  This is probably the toughest thing to come to grips with, because with a little smarter spending we probably could have ran again this season instead of having to sell stuff to pay off debt.

Entry fees are cheap (in relative terms), tires are not....however one directly corrilates to the other.....stretching your tires too far can lead to the most expensive item of all, repairs (both for the bike and rider).  This was my problem :)

Budget your money and your time and this will be the most fun you've ever had with some of the coolest people you will ever meet. (at least up here in the MW region!)   :thumb:

Just my .02
Mike Anhalt

resurection

Start slow and save the pain.
Let your ego go and have fun you will not win early on so don't push it .
Laps is wear it's at get good enough to volunteer for something like Sport bike track time. and get your laps for free . before you know it you'll be FAST.

d-wire

my advice....tires, as previously stated, are the $$$ in the game.  Find a top expert that you can get used tires from.  He will use the first 10-25 laps out of the tire and you will save tons of cash.  Fatboy122's win % was just ridiculous in amateur and he ran on my take-0ffs all year.  New tires are $385 a set....dont do it.  You won't be using the tires to thier full potential for a little while anyway ...why waste the money. 

Seat time...resurrection had a good idea there.  Get the bike sprung for your wieght and get to BS'n with some top guys in the game.  They can help you.  GOod luck

ps. DUnlop vortex are your friends...LOL
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Jason748

Have fun & make friends.  But the best advise I can give is make sure you have good medical insurance, becuase if something does happen it makes the tire bill seem REALLY small!
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

CounterSteerer

Don't wait till next year come on down to Homestead this November 30 thru December 3. Take the Penguin Racing school with Eric & Jeff Wood and enter a CCS race or just do practice. We are all poor racers that is why they invented credit cards.  :biggrin: http://www.penguinracing.com/
CCS FL, ASRA
Jason Edmonds