News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS MW Gate Entry Costs

Started by Team Spalding, October 28, 2007, 07:40:22 PM

Mongo

Me either :D  Luckily there are enough of us around to keep roadracing viable.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

PaulV

Wow, interesting discussion thread.
if free (paid for) entrance isn't the answer to build spectator head count....what is?
Is there really an opportunity here when it comes to this level of racing and spectator interest?
Each year we have gone to Daytona for the ROC I can't help but look up in the empty 100,000 or so seats and ask myself if this isn't a missed marketing opportunity for Club level motorcycle road racing.
Not saying there are answers to this question and, truly not trying to rub anyone the wrong way with this, but since the thread is here.....
Thoughts

Paul Vondrak
Polar-Optics LLC
MW Ex 79

See Better, Ride Safer!

Mongo

You need either big stars that are promoted by the manufacturers at all of their dealers or you need a big party at the track that makes the event as a whole worth it for people.  Both helps, then you have Mid-O, Road Atlanta and the old Loudon event with Animal Hill and the like.  The racing is a nice break from the partying for most people.  At the club racing level, we can't afford to dump the money into making these events into more than just a race.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Team Spalding

I do not think we are trying to fill the stands. We are just hoping for more afforable gate fees to get a few more people especially our friends and family.

If another region cut costs in half and doubled the attendence why not give it a try in other regions. The track makes the same amount, sells more vending and we get a few more spectators. 
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Mongo

The difference in the tracks is what Kevin said.  He can't do that everywhere.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Jason748

I think that maybe we should look at what the local circle tracks are doing as far as promotions and such.  They don't have big stars (not that that doesn't help) or big parties (that would probably help too), yet they usually have a pretty good turn-out.  Some basic local radio ads, contacting local clubs and promoting through dealerships that kinda of thing.  But it take a person to do it.  Just a thought.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Mongo

Yep, those things cost money to do though and without a local person willing to do the legwork they don't work well.  It also helps the roundy rounds run every weekend and again - everyone can sit in one seat, walk a short way to beer, a short way to the bathroom, and they see the whole track.  It's hard to teach people about roadracing through some flyers and radio spots.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Jason748

Well it felt like we were running at BHF every weekend this year  ::) - It looked like CB was doing a good job bringing more spectators to the races this year up at BIR, what was he he & the BOD doing?   But yea I know exactly what your saying, but hey ya gotta start somewhere.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Mongo

They're all local and volunteer - they're more into it than people who work for us or CCS.  It seems like once people are involved with a company that is in theory for profit (none of us make much of one if any) then they want to get paid - and we can't afford it.  We're also running a lot more than just 10-12 races and it keeps us too busy to even do some simple promotions.  It's not a good thing but it's the truth.

It's probably time for a qualifier too - I'm not knocking ideas and personally I love reading new ones.  I'm just trying to explain why some things are not within our abilities.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

red900

The truth is most people dont even know Blackhawk is there.  I have spent alot of time in Rockford.  Many times have I walked up to some local squids hanging out at a gas station and talk to them about the track.  More often than not, they have no idea a racetrack is in their backyard.  I have talked to locals at the Love's gas station  right off the highway near the track, they didnt even know about it.....

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

G 97

Most don'r even know about Road America.
G

Mongo

My favorite is still Daytona - with all the advertising done for the 200 the vast majority of people in town that week have no idea races are happening. Amazing.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com