News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS MW Gate Entry Costs

Started by Team Spalding, October 28, 2007, 07:40:22 PM

dylanfan53

Quote from: xb9racer on October 30, 2007, 09:58:49 PM
I know the $25 fee keeps my cheap ass in law side of the family from coming to the races.

For some that would be reason to keep fees high.   :biggrin:

Personally, my wife (and sometimes the kid or two) comes to one race day per year.  Last summer I paid for some other family members  to come out and watch.  There was no way I was going to allow them to pay $100+ out of their own pockets.

Spectator fees may or may not be a significant source of income to help offset higher insurance costs, but if they are the question still remains whether they are hurting themselves by raising fees and driving customers away.  The argument is that they'd be better off lowering to a more reasonable level and increasing head count, and/or restructuring the wristband system.   

It was once argued that there was no impact on attendance whether the fees were $10 or $25 per head.  With the legal work and valuations that have gone into the various deals for BHF I'm sure it was researched, but if raising entry fees was just someone's way of seeing if they could squeeze out more money I'll bet it backfired.

Spectatorship and interest in this sport is growing.  Other than a few loyal families, spectatorship at BHF consists of GFs and the occasional bored wife.  I see more spectators at (gasp!) trackdays where there isn't even any racing!

$25 per head per day has kept people away and hurt the sport, period.  Probably kept out more than a few potential customers for other trackside services too.  I'm surprised the vendors haven't pursued this further since they have a clear interest. 

Don Cook
CCS #53

dylanfan53

BTW, we need more of those cool emoticons that the *other* org's board has, like the "Beat the dead horse" one.  We could use that one here....

Don Cook
CCS #53

Jason748

Quote from: dylanfan53 on October 30, 2007, 08:35:08 PM
We're running around a track at speed taking helo and ambulance rides  

Compared to what the helio ride costs... the gate fee is nothing, trust me!

But I Like the Get $10.00 back when you turn in your wrist band on Saturday (say before 6:00) idea, that makes sense IMHO.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Mongo

Okay so I have to ask - BHF for a normal race weekend is a $50 gate fee for riders/crew/whoever?

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

RCR_531

Rider & Crew Gate Passes:
Sat.-Sun.: $25
Sunday only: $15
35.00 (fri,sat,&sun)if you show up for Fridays pratice.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

Mongo

Whew, the way everyone kept going on about $25 per person per day had me scared. 

The complaints about $25 for a weekend always amaze me, you spend more than that on gas getting there.  You spend more for two people to go sit through a 90 minute movie. 

Heck, I paid $10 for the weekend 20 years ago to go to my first race, there isn't much else that has only gone up 100-150% in 20 years.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

dylanfan53

I should have said "$25 for a person for one day".  $25 for a weekend isn't bad, but most guests aren't coming out for a weekend, they would come out for a day and many would be for just the afternoon races.  $25 keeps them away.

The fact that gas prices are high makes it all the more prohibitive, not less.  Cost of a movie ticket?  About $8.  Cost for two hours at the track? $25.  You must eat a lot of popcorn.  :biggrin:

Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

Quote from: r1owner on October 30, 2007, 09:41:44 PM
I know people have given their wristband to people going in on Sunday.  Those people going in on Sunday haven't signed anything either.
And some question why liability costs are going up...

Camping may have to charge fee at race tracks next.  It isn't because tracks want to, it's because insurance companies start asking questions based on what's happening at events.  If there are claims for pit bikes, you pay a higher insurance fee for that opportunity at your race track.  If there are overnight claims, camping is next. 

Higher insurance costs only affect us on those weekends that we race.  But it affects the race track for every rental date. 
Super Dave

Mongo

But if they come out for Sunday it's not $25.  It's $15. 

Go to a dirt track race on a Saturday night - $15-20, then another $5-10 if you want paddock access. 

As for the movies - who comes to the track for 2 hours?  Seriously, that's just silly. 

$25 is NOT out of line, and it is NOT why spectators don't come out to the track.  We've tried discount coupons and many other things over the years, made no difference.  I've known many racers who have offered to pay for friends and family and they still don't come out.  It's not the price that is the deciding factor, it's the simple fact that unless you're involved it's boring as hell.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

r1owner

Boring could be part of it for sure.

It still amazes me how many spectators I see at a test and tune on Tuesday night though to watch two cars go in a straight line.  THAT is boring!

Mongo

That's perfect for the US mentality with regard to motorsports.  You can see the whole track, instant gratification on results, beer nearby, restrooms nearby etc...

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

r1owner

Makes sense.... I guess I just don't think like a typical American when it comes to motorsports then!