News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Riding on water

Started by resurection, October 20, 2007, 10:24:43 PM

resurection

Lets talk ice riding (I say riding because racing is to expensive,just ask my wife).
Any way I'm building a XL650L .Cam,smooth bore,pipe and some gear ratio.
Maybe 45hp and a diet for the bike and myself.

Do you ride on the water in the winter ?

Scotty Ryan

I plan on it this winter - Super Dave or Paul V are the guys you need to talk to....Tommy Mason is another avid Ice guy - but stay away from that Edgar Dorn character.... Wow - Daytona's over - now it needs to snow already!!!!!
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

resurection

barb_arah

I love it that someone referred to as Resurrection started this thread.  Walking on water has already been done, so why not riding on water?
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

Super Dave

Quote from: SCOTTY727 on October 22, 2007, 02:48:43 PM
I plan on it this winter - Super Dave or Paul V are the guys you need to talk to....Tommy Mason is another avid Ice guy - but stay away from that Edgar Dorn character.... Wow - Daytona's over - now it needs to snow already!!!!!

Yeah, baby!

Shane and I are thinking that we might be riding on the ice in 60 days! 
Super Dave

resurection

Quote from: barb_arah on October 23, 2007, 06:39:04 PM
I love it that someone referred to as Resurrection started this thread.  Walking on water has already been done, so why not riding on water?
Yes my dear and on the third day he rode.
AT resurrection we take bikes from dead to turn you head.

barb_arah

That is pretty good!  It's a miracle!
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

PaulV

There is usually a few places to ride west of Milwaukee, Wi.  Can't really be sure until we get ice and someone plows a coarse...:)

Stay tuned.

Paul
Polar-Optics LLC
MW Ex 79
See Better, Ride Safer!

resurection

I was fortunit to find R model carb for L model XR650 'It fits right on. :ahhh:
I modified cables .
Removed air box ,moved battery there and mounted Supertrapp pipe.
I'm sure centralizing battery wt.and removing heavy stock muffler
along with HRC cam grind from HOT CAMS

Should provide good ice pick propulsion . :rollseyes:

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

Would anyone be interested in trying out some race slicks with snowmobile studs in them? I'm thinking of making them for a race bike of mine. For real now no joke!
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

resurection

Have yous tried just screwing in studs to new knobby tires .
I'm wondering if it's adequate?

PaulV

Quote from: J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp on October 30, 2007, 08:49:38 PM
Would anyone be interested in trying out some race slicks with snowmobile studs in them? I'm thinking of making them for a race bike of mine. For real now no joke!
Hey Jason,

back in the day...we played with that a bit and just a couple of seasons back we tried the build your own with screws in knobbies...
Both worked ok for cruising around on the ice....until someone on a set of Freddettes or Stewies comes flying by like they are on rails..:)
My experience is that it can be done..but much faster and easier to just buy...

Paul
Polar-Optics LLC
MW Ex 79
See Better, Ride Safer!

resurection

Ya Jeff lives near by and is very nice to do business with I think 400$ though!

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

No I don't think you understand. I also stud up quite a few dirt bike tires for motocross & motard bikes for the winter. I sell them also.

I'm talking about the very short ice pick style snowmobile studs screwed into a set of motorcycle roadracing tires like a 120/70-17 & a 180/55-17 for my ZX6R. I mean a real ice killer machine!

All I would have to do is make em which would be way way faster than studding up a freaking set of kenda ice tires with Kold Kutters. Then mount them on my race bike. Of course I would have to remove my front fender & also move my rear tire all the way back so I dont' shred my swingarm, & also make some protective shields to keep my ass in one piece if my bike should decide to follow me in the event of a highside and eat me for lunch.

I'm talking about some wildness. I have raced on ice racing tires on moto bikes back in the day over 15-25 years ago & won many championships. I'm no newbie to that stuff. I'm trying out some real wild stuff here.

Get my drift now?
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

resurection

Do you think the road tire carcase may be better on a road course type track or do you prefer oval ?
If taking the cheap into knobby path.would copying pattern from pro built tire be the way to go ? and what size,brand would you recommend? :biggrin:

PaulV

Well why did'nt ya just say so then.....thought you were just looking to do some cheap ice put'n....:)

Drift caught.

Good luck and make sure ya get some pictures up on here.

Paul
See Better, Ride Safer!

JBraun

Pro built tires rock. It's the only way to go if you're serious about going fast. If you just want to beat around on the ice, you can run some screws a hard pack dirt tire and have a good time.
There's voodoo to building a good ice tire. I tried to copy a set of Rozine tires once and failed miserably.

Farrell, call me about your ice tire idea. I've played with that concept a bit and I think I figured out the setup.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

JBraun

Paul, you and the PO racing crew better get up here to do some riding this winter!!!!
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp on October 30, 2007, 08:49:38 PM

I would be all over it man - sounds like fun.... But unfortunately - I don't have a bike to do it with - So it looks like i'm gonna be stuck on the dirtbike :( Better then nothing tho :)

RCR_531

going Eruo in Wisconsin http://www.iceroadracing.net/ good luck guys looks like fun.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

PaulV

Hey JB,

you bet!
Let us know when the ice is ready!

We'll be there.

Paul
See Better, Ride Safer!

resurection

Quote from: JBraun on November 01, 2007, 12:14:10 AM
Paul, you and the PO racing crew better get up here to do some riding this winter!!!!
Where's there? stop talking in code guys.

resurection

Well know thats more like it.IT FLAT ROCKS no more MR nice guy L model!

PaulV

Sorry Res....

"There" is
1. Frozen Lake friendly to bikes/quads
2. Plowed Coarse
Just about anywhere we can pull it together.
So the code is, once there is ice and a plowed coarse..that is THERE.

Stay tuned..:)

Paul
See Better, Ride Safer!

Scotty Ryan

So I ordered tires today for the 250f....Ferdette tires - But it sounds like i'm about the 40th person or so on the list.... Hopefully I'll have them next month  :cheers:

plasticweld

I ride on the ice, I have a YZ 250 set up with ice screws, it works well enough, not as good as it would with the cold cutter tire set up but that is racing in a nut shell if you want to go faster all you  have to do is spend more money. Last year we set up a road coarse on the Ice it was great practice for throttle control plus it was good to just get back on the bike again
EmpireGP.com
Sport Bike Plastic Welding, Custom Painting Tank Repair
Ride Hard Take Chances    We Need the Work!

CCS WERA #865

resurection

Quote from: plasticweld on November 08, 2007, 03:27:37 PM
I ride on the ice, I have a YZ 250 set up with ice screws, it works well enough, not as good as it would with the cold cutter tire set up but that is racing in a nut shell if you want to go faster all you  have to do is spend more money. Last year we set up a road coarse on the Ice it was great practice for throttle control plus it was good to just get back on the bike again
Where? we'll be there.

plasticweld

There are two places by me, both are run by guys who race and are pretty serious about racing on the ice, they gave me tons of pointers on riding, There is a lake just out side of Corning NY and one just out side Odessa NY called Little Lake, that is where I ride, they build a couple of tracks and there is constant maintance in the form of plowing so it gets pretty fast, There is a series here and most of the guys are there on Saturday or Sunday depending on the race shedule. The first time I showed up I was able to borrow a bike, I really rode 4 or 5 different bikes that afternoon, if you show up with gear someone is sure to let you take their bike for  spin, I know I trade off bikes and let guys ride mine all of the time, it is almost impossible to really wreck one there  as there is nothing to hit short of getting run over by a high speed bike with steel spikes spinning a hundred miles an hour it is pretty safe..Send me a PM when it gets cold I am either riding the snowmobile or racing on the ice, if is too warm I will just be sulking
EmpireGP.com

CCS WERA #865

resurection

There's an event on lake Cohsakonk near LakeGeneva WI.
I think it may be left handed though.
Do your people travel that far from New york?

plasticweld

I am sure that they do all there riding in D4 AMA district from the plates which is just western NY. they would have to do the nationals to go that far
EmpireGP.com

CCS WERA #865