News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Looking for pointers on race prepping a 2005 cbr 600rr

Started by 2old2fat2slow, October 06, 2007, 09:49:41 PM

2old2fat2slow

Hey Ya'll,
              I have my sons bike for next season stripped down to the frame and will be assembling with some upgrades this Sunday (and probably Monday). Was looking for some tips from you fellow Honda racers out there. Wondering where I can make the most improvement and what kind of things I should do while the bike is torn down to its skeleton.
I have some stuff to bolt on that I already rounded up once the replacement engine is mounted . I have a titanium Arata full exhaust, PCIII usb, factory pro velocity stacks, BMC race filter, HRC quick throttle kit, Woodcraft clip ons,Woodcraft side covers, Vortex fairing stay,Elka triple clicker rear shock, Traxxion cartridges, GPR steering damper,SBS dual carbon pads, I got some used race plastics, Working on rounding up some spare sprockets . Currently have a new 520 chain with 15/45.
  Should I do anything with the steering head bearings? The bike has 17,000 miles on it. Current engine runs great and trans works fine. I bought a 4000 mile engine and thought it would take a pounding better than the 17k plant. I plan on freshening up the original engine and doing some head/valve work while it's torn down.
Can anyone help with advice on some other effective upgrades I can do while she is torn down completely? Any advice,tips,pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 2o2f2s
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

Super Dave

I'd say go through the bearings and stuff if you have the time.  Don't assume that the assembly plant put enough grease in it for 17k.  You'll only know if you check.

I've found that the 600RR chassis geometry is tricky. 

And get the rider doing yoga and riding a dirt bike for the winter.   :spank:
Super Dave

Toy Store

Get in touch with Traxxion, they'll be able to help you with setting-up your front end.
Patrick
www.superbiketoystore.com

Jeff

it almost seems as if there was a shortage of grease in japan.  DEFINITELY get the steering head bearings out and regreased.  At this point I'd just replace them.  They're cheap and a wear part.

You'll probably want to add a slipper clutch as it makes a world of difference.  Yoyodyne or STM, they're both great (personally used the yoyo and would highly recommend it).

Spares are always key.  Such as wheels, clipons, levers, rearsets, throttle cables/tubes, fairing stay, subframe, bodywork, radiator, exhaust,  forks (pretty much in that order).

For the motor, less is better.  You can build a GREAT motor which is real reliable.  From a complete tear-down what I would do...

Inspect transmission, replace 2nd gear (don't care how many miles, REPLACE IT!)
New shift forks
replace bearings
re-coat the piston skirts
new rings
valve job
mill down the head a touch
degree the cams

You could go for a bore, but get into reliability and longevity there.  Same with an undercut transmission.  Definitely a nice thing, but it'll wear faster.  Personally on this front I'd tell you to get a factory pro shift kit with new indexing "star".  They're cheap and effective.

That should pretty much do it! 
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Jason748

I might have some spare sprockets, among other things, laying around, PM me with what your looking for.

But pretty much what Jeff said... I can vouch for it because I have the bike he ran the 05/06 season with and it hasn't missed a beat this year.
The biggest thing I noticed when going from my old 03 to the 05 was definitely the slipper clutch & and the shifting (due to the FP shift kit).
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

2old2fat2slow

Thanks for the good tips guys. I will definately do these upgrades to the 17,000 mile engine I just pulled out and have it ready for mid season. :cheers:
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

surftheasphalt

talk to Rob at lithium motorsport
Phone:  (712) 276-1964
Fax:  (712) 276-2898
email:  rob@lithiummotorsports.com
MW#80

2old2fat2slow

Quote from: surftheasphalt on October 24, 2007, 10:07:18 PM
talk to Rob at lithium motorsport
Phone:  (712) 276-1964
Fax:  (712) 276-2898
email:  rob@lithiummotorsports.com

I just got a bunch of stuff from Rob and I still have to get the front cartridges and a helmet and new leathers from him. He gives us excellent prices and service!

surftheasphalt

MW#80

RCR_531

Rob is great and Lithium has great prices all the time. Glad you are finding everything you need. Hope to see at the track next year.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

resurection

Manual cam chain tensioner?
And this may sound silly but be sure to mount tip over sensor well if changing fairing.

unforgivenracing

Steering dampener, Race skin's, Braided brake lined, Wire/ prep it! Spend money on it after you have raced it a few times.   :thumb:
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

2old2fat2slow

So far we have rounded up 2 sets of race plastics(at the body shop getting paint), Elka triple clicker rear shock,spare front forks with 20mm traxxion cartridges,factory pro velocity stacks,factory pro shift kit, 4 sets of front and rear wheels,Woodcraft clip ons, gpr damper, valter moto rear sets,leo vince full race system, power commander III usb, bmc race air filter,Goodridge stainless braided brake lines,vortex fairing stay, renthal 520 15 & 17 tooth front sprockets, renthal 520 38,39,40,41,45,46,48 tooth rear sprockets and chain. And I installed a 4000 mile engine with intention of freshing up the 17,000 engine over the winter. I will definately put a manual cam chain tentioner in the 17k engine. The 4k engine is minty fresh. I would love to put a slipper clutch in it before Daytona but I am running out of money :lmao:

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

RCR_531

Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

2old2fat2slow

tstruyk

you buy me a setup like that I'll cut/trim/bag/fertilize/wash the car/paint the house...

my folks have 2 other son's... I wont be missed THAT much!   :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

2old2fat2slow

Quote from: tstruyk on November 02, 2007, 11:21:11 AM
you buy me a setup like that I'll cut/trim/bag/fertilize/wash the car/paint the house...

my folks have 2 other son's... I wont be missed THAT much!   :biggrin:
You drive a hard bargain!! Did I mention we also have a fully prepped R6 as a backup bike. We could tour like the Partridge Family.

tstruyk

I RACE AN R6!!!!! 

this is working out wonderfully... do I have to move or can I just commute?  I'm kinda partial to st louis, I could actually contract out the yard work and still come out ahead by my math!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85