R6 Shocks.

Started by Noidly1, September 30, 2007, 10:56:45 PM

Noidly1

Hey Everybody;

Just to let everyone know, I got the most needed shock on my bike. Wow, that extra height helped out a lot. I measured it at 312 as received and lowered it down to 310 to start off with and left it there for the day. The bike drove out of the turns much better.
I think I need to bring it back up to 312 or more cause the drive out of the corner could be tighter.

I tell ya, the bike was TOTALLY DIFFERENT from last month... I had to relearn it all over. As the day went on, I made small adjustments and noticed their effects.

I had to take out one turn of preload to get a little more sag. I may need to take out one more, not sure, need more track time... But if I do, then I think I will need to raise the back up more to compensate.

I love the fact that I can make comp and rebound adjustments with my fingers and not have to mess with tools. Very Nice...

The shock was a "GodSend"...

Not only did I swap out the shock but, I also installed new Omni springs in front. That made a big difference as well. I followed the instructions per Traxxion as to figure out shim height but ended up having to change to shorter ones at lunch to get more sag. That helped some on tip in.

With my weight w/gear, I was border-line as to what springs to get, so I got 2 sets, .90's and .95's to get .925. One each in each fork. That being said, even with having that combo, sag wasn't quite right. I put a zip-tie on the fork at lunch and after a couple sessions I noticed that I was only using 2 inches of travel. My guess is that I need to swap out the .95 spring and run .90's in both forks. I had the fork height set at 26mm and think I need to raise them some more to get better lean.

One thing I noticed was that a pound of air pressure in front makes a big difference in the way the bike handles. I had 32psi front and 30psi rear cold. The bike cut in very well with the combo I had, however, when I dropped the front 2psi to get a little more traction in front, the bike felt lazy and didn't want to lean all the way over so when I came in I added
1psi back to the front and it did better.

Question; If I want to get more traction in front by lowering the air pressure and it makes the front lazy, can I lower the fork height to make it cut in better to compensate for the difference in air pressure or will that throw things off?

Another thing, what is the effect on handling is an air pressure change in the rear? Haven't done that yet, just wondering...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX