News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

'04 gsxr 750 motor problems

Started by bloodpressure, September 24, 2007, 08:07:22 PM

bloodpressure

well.... i was accelerating through turn six at vir on the second lap of my first session on friday when my motor stalled and i pulled off the track beside turn seven. i had taped the kickstand kill switch and the tape unraveled realeasing the switch. after taking a scenic ride back to the paddock, i shorted the wires from the kickstand switch and tried to start the bike. the motor turned over but didn't start. i could hear squeaky-squeally noises and it seemed like the motor wanted to seize.
i can't figure out what kind of damage was done when the motor stalled. perhaps it jumped time, or broke something loose in the motor?
what should i be looking for? any ideas?
just for clarification, before the track-day, i replaced the engine covers required by ccs. i sure hope i didn't leave a bolt loose under one of the covers.
anyway, i would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks.

david

resurection

Motor wants to seize?
Squeaky?
Hard parts don't squeak .
Bolts under cover ,witch bolts under cover when changing cover what else did you loosen ?stater maybe ? these bolts could loosen and lock up roter ?check them first then look at clutch face plate bolts.

bloodpressure

alright, i found the problem. the stator bolts worked their way loose and were grinding on the rotor. apparently this was enough to impede the motor from completely turning over. hopefully that was the extent of the damage. there's a lot of metal shavings around the stator. i guess i'll drain the oil and pour in some cheap, thin oil to flush out the metal shavings and hope for the best. advice to anyone reading this: if you change your engine case covers, USE LOCTITE!!!!!!!

resurection

Bullseye If I say so my self! NO?

tomholiday

If it were me, i'd pull the covers and visually inspect how much got in there. Also, not sure what the consensus is on using loctite for case cover bolts, but i think i'd be more inclined to safety wire them.
Tim Haley
EX #211