$$$$$ question

Started by Clay, February 19, 2003, 06:25:27 AM

Clay

WAAHHHHHHH... just my luck  :D  hehe

Well, I am using silkolene oil...one aint so bad :p  I haven't ordered my Carbone Lorraine pads yet...maybe I'll go with Vesrah?  They do pay in CCS don't they?  Hmmm, I hate to hear that Metzler won't pay contingencies and their own company, Pirelli will.  And OF COURSE, I'm on an "outdated" Honda...so no hope of anything there :-/  

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteThanx for the kinds words.  You folks over here are definitely a little nicer than the guys over at wera.com, LOL!  I've already been flamed x10 for saying I'm racing a 929 :-/  I'm just racing what I've got for this season.  Next season it'll be down to a smaller class.  I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about running an SV.  
Geeze!  You're racing a 929?  You can't race a particular motorcycle until everyone on this board gives you their approval!  You're an idiot.  Were your parents related?  Go away and never come back!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
So, should I go race WERA now?  Funny, but flaming a stranger didn't make me feel any smarter or faster.  Maybe I'm not WERA material after all. ;)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

r6_philly

Clay, Metzler/Pirelli does pay contengency. I think they only pay back to 4th place this year, or maybe 5th as last year. You will probably figure out that finishing top 5 in the unlimited class in Mid-Atlantic is pretty hard. Since you can't register until you take the school, you lost half of the battle. So you will get a almost full grid, and you have to start in the back because you just registered that morning. All them pesky little 600's  ;D are going to take all the glory.

As far as budget goes, I will just list what I spend as a front running amateur at VIR:

1 weekend:
Gas getting down there and back - $100
Gas for the bike, 10 gallons - $20
Gate fee 2 person - $40
Camping/Electric - $10
Food/1 hour at walmat - $60
your 3 races - $210

That totals $440. Plus $60 misc. that would be about $500.

If you crash, thats another matter.

Tires? on my 600, I can go through a set of tires, or maybe even 2 rears, depends on the races I enter. If I do GTO, GTU, MWGP, MWSS, MWSB, ULGP, Sportbike + 4 practice session, I would be doing close to 80 laps, then I would probably use 1 front and 2 rears. Sometimes I skip 1 practice session per day just not to run out my fronts. That woudl come to $500 in tires.

So $1000 is about right, for each weekend. For the year will be $10k plus. I know I know we dont want to admit that we spend over 10k on racing per year, our girlfriends will kill us  :P

I will be at VIR racing in April, if you want someone to hang out with, and ask questions when you have them, or just to figure out how everything works, I will be glad to pit with ya. After this past year, I have pretty much figured out what I need in the paddock. I figure it would take you 3-6 weekends and about another $2000 to get everything that makes the weekend enjoyable.

It's an VERY expensive hobby, the sooner you realize and accept that, the better off you are. BUT, it is also WORTH it.

Oh ya, go on EBAY and buy any and every piece of spare/parts that you can find for your bike. Also anything you own that can be related to the bike, bring it. You will NEVER know what you might need. I have spares of everything. 3 sets of rims, rain tire, extra tires, 10 sets of levers, sprockets of all sizes, chain, spare body work, spare case covers, bars, pegs, shift rod, pads, oil, filter, battery charger, tie down straps, chemicals. One crash and you will be wishing you brought that one thing you thought you would never need. And more to say about that, if you had bought the spares BEFORE you crash, you wouldn't feel that bad after you crash. I know its all money spend, but its really not good feelings when you have to hand over $$$ just after you tossed your bike down the track. "oh well, I got it in the trailer" sounds MUCH better.

Actually I am bringing a spare bike this year. After my buddy's GSXR took a dump last year at VIR, and he moped around for 3 days (broke on Friday) I swear I would never let that happens to me. Even though my street bike is stock and , well, street, I would rather be riding than not. After I paid $400 to enter races...

ecumike

WOW!
I guess I never realized how quick those bigger bikes use up tires.

r6_philly

QuoteWOW!
I guess I never realized how quick those bigger bikes use up tires.

I think bigger bikes use up 'new' tires. I can go through 1 set of tires every weekend, or 1 set of tires every 3 weekends. The tire is not going to disintegrate because I run it 3 weekends, but I would be going 2-3 seconds slower, and more chance to crash because I will be trying harder to make up the time by riding harder. Hence more chance for a crash.

When you finish mid-pack, it would make less difference, but when you are 2 place out of contigency, it just seem worthy to put on new ones.

So I now use my takeoffs on all the track days I go to...

ecumike

AHH, ok, so it's not necessarily changing tires out of necessity, it's more for safety and speed... gotcha.

r6_philly

There were guys telling me that their tires go off after 2 gt races and they feel it. They were faster but not THAT much faster. I finally got my shock re-springed and re-valved, so now it may be even easier on my rear.

For a track day/practice, I would ride until the cord shows

Its all about how much you can afford. Walk around the paddock and you will see people selling take offs that has 2-3 races on them. But they have certs to get new ones... so I guess why not