News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Best ice bike?

Started by grasshopper, September 21, 2007, 10:40:08 AM

grasshopper

What is the best bike to ice race/ride (in your opinion)?

I have a line on a KX500 in good shape and was thinking about making that my ice bike and keeping my KX250 for normal dirt use.

Opinions on a good ice bike please...

Court Jester

racing on the ice just isn't normal.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

grasshopper

Makes a faster Road Racer. You mite be enlightened by the experience.

Cyklracer

Absolutely THE best learning experience for a road racer.  You'll learn more about throttle control, what the bike feels like when either end starts sliding, and how the bike reacts to braking/throttle input in ONE day on the ice than you will in SEVERAL weekends roadracing.

I don't know how to answer what the "best" ice bike is, as it depends on what you're looking to get out of the bike.  I've had lots of fun goofing off with friends on XR100s and TTR125s, and have laughed myself silly ripping around on a YZ450F  :ahhh:.  I think one of the better all-around options is a CR250F - great can-do anything bike.

www.dieseljo.com has lots of ice racing information and FAQ answers

You want something that isn't normal, check out what those WAY Northern Euopeans do to keep their riding skills up in the off-season
http://www.forumeter.com/video/5997/Motorbike-Ice-Roadracing

Court Jester

so where's a feller find the studded tires for an xr-400????
if i get some tires, somebody pm me when you guys get out. if you can stand the crying over the cold, i'll let you lean me a thing or two on it.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

JBraun

The 500 would be bitchin. I have a buddy who rides a CR500 on the ice and loves it. The thing has a really pissed off motor, and it's so godamned fast it's almost hard to handle, even with a 40 pound ice tire on it.

I ride my KX450 because I don' t have a dedicated ice bike. 4 stroke moto bikes work awesome, but a season of ice riding will hammer the motor. Plan on rebuilding frequently.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Super Dave

I like to get something that's affordable, Nick. 

Would it be cheaper to get a set of used wheels for the 250 and put good tires on that?

I've ridden 90's on the ice through a 525 KTM.  I'm no Jesse Janisch, but ice racing is the most fun I have on a motorcycle, period.
Super Dave

grasshopper

Well Dave, if you are interested in the 96 KX500 let me know. The dude is in ELgin Illinois and wants 1800 obo. I don't have the cash rite at this second but will with the next month or so. I'm definitely making another dirtbike purchase coming up here. The fun factor for the money blows road racing out of the water. I agree with you, I have never had more fun on 2 wheels riding on the ice. It is a complete and absolute hoot.

A brand new set of ice tires cost about 450 bucks from Jeff Fedette. He lives about 15 minutes away from me. Pretty cool dude and very fast off road racer. The tires last a long time, they are a bit pricy but if you take care of them I don't see why they wouldn't last 10 years or maybe more.

Super Dave

Thanks for the offer.  But I've got my ice bike, a TTR125.  Suits my needs and, importantly, it's paid for. 
Super Dave

Jeff

a 4-stroke 450 with GOOD ice tires will hook up like a 600 on hot pavement.

2 strokes are fun but they're not the same.

I have a professional set of tires for a CRF-150 with wraps, 1 hr of use on them.  $200 firm.  (the materials are over $300....)

I have a set of 450 tires too, but I think they're sold.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Scotty Ryan

"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

Super Dave