STM or Yoyodyne Slipper?

Started by proechel539, September 20, 2007, 06:27:56 PM

proechel539

The difference is about three hundred dollars for the two, but what? if any are the performance differences?
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

keebler

You already starting to prep the yammy???  :cheers:

I've heard nothing negative about either.  At this point it could be all about the name and $$$.

gpz11

The STM uses a single "spider" type spring that I've heard wears out somewhat quickly while the Yoyodyne uses conventional coil springs in their slipper.

I have a Yoyodyne in my RC51 and have been very happy with it.

BTW: The Yoyodyne slipper is made by Sigma.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/

Jason748

I've used both (I have an STM in my 748 & a Yoyo in my CBR).
The only real advantage the STM has over the Yoyo is that it is more easily adjustable for the amount & point of slip, but that requires you buy additional spider springs.

Me, I'd go with the Yoyo, save the $300.00 and put it towards a school or tires.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

xseal

I have an STM that I'm very happy with, I liked the fact that I could get a 35 degree ramp (less engine braking). Having said that, lots of people swear by the Yoyos and they seem to be a better value.

TommyG

Go with the yoyo.  They work great and you`ll find the customer service outstanding! :thumb:

proechel539

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Yoyodyne. Thaks again.
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

Rick Beggs

yoyodyne would be my choice, Fred is great at helping and answering questions,

your RRS Instructor discount gets it to you fast
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

proechel539

Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

LMsports

I really like Fred and his company Yoyodyne is great. But I have used both and would definitely choose an STM over the yoyodyne slipper. The Yoyodyne has some great ideas with more parts to make the clutch easier to replace parts but those same parts can come loose or back out and the clutch can be less reliable for that reason. The STM is absolutely bulletproof and we have never had any problems, the yoyodynes we have used we have had to do what I would consider to be extensive maintenance.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Jason748

Quote from: LMsports on September 26, 2007, 07:00:18 PM
I really like Fred and his company Yoyodyne is great. But I have used both and would definitely choose an STM over the yoyodyne slipper. The Yoyodyne has some great ideas with more parts to make the clutch easier to replace parts but those same parts can come loose or back out and the clutch can be less reliable for that reason. The STM is absolutely bulletproof and we have never had any problems, the yoyodynes we have used we have had to do what I would consider to be extensive maintenance.

Opps.. I forgot about that, I personally had 2 studs start backing out on me this season, even with the industrial permanent strength Loctite I applied before the season (luckily I check my clutch it VERY often and caught them).
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Yoyo

The studs on the new clutches are pinned in place.
They do not back out.
(Problem Solved)