News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

advanced corner marshall training

Started by fightinflames, September 14, 2007, 07:45:54 PM

fightinflames

hello all,
  I've been asked to look into putting together an advanced corner marshall training program for the 2008 season. With the majority of our core Marrc workers and a number or workers from all over the united states all together here chatting about a little of everything i wanted to take advantage of it and pick your brains for ideas . I need ideas for things that you may want to learn more about. I've been approached by a few workers who are interested in how control works so I'm including that into it. But there are endless aspects of what we do every weekend that some people even our most experienced don't know or understand. I think this is going to be a great tool to add to our training program and I'm looking forward to your feed back.

Thanks,
   Allen

TheHiriser

Don't have much time to go into great detail and this could just be wishful thinking as well.

Motorcycle basics.  I take for granted I grew up around bikes, ridden, raced and yes crashed quite a few.  Not everyone knows where all the levers and things are.  Not everyone knows what GP shift is or even the regular shift pattern.  If we could get a bike or two to even practice picking up and moving around.  Don't have to be race bikes, they could be junkers (easier said than done most likely).

Some video of a crash or incident to play and then role play the call in to control.  For example the video of the recent T1 crash could be used.  What would your call be?  Basically practice on making correct and succinct calls into control.

Along those same lines for people interested in Control.  Role play multiple calls coming in and what takes priority.

My .02

Kuala76

I agree with watching crash footage and "role playing" the calls.  Hand in hand with the picking up the bike procedure, also maybe a simple intro on tie downs and loading the bikes on Junior.  Usually we have someone who is quite good loading junior, but it's always good to know how to do it!  Also, instruction to DO NOT TOUCH/PICK UP hot bike parts :):)  :lmao:
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

fightinflames

great ideas  and yeah mike i agree we should use a buike to demonstrate and it just so happens i have a bike that i'm willing to use as a practice bike. please keep up the ideas i need as many as i can to help put this togther i have several ideas of my own however i would rather get them from everyone. and anyone outside the MARRC family please feel free to jump in i'd love to hear somethings you all have to say.

thanks agian,
  allen

Simon

I think we should get some instruction on the basics for trouble shooting our radio's. I hate calling someone to help me out with a radio problem as it almost always is a simple fix. Also, occasionally one of them gets off channel and I don't even know how to reprogram it.

MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

ZXYBCH

Quote from: Simon on September 21, 2007, 08:22:29 AM
I think we should get some instruction on the basics for trouble shooting our radio's. I hate calling someone to help me out with a radio problem as it almost always is a simple fix. Also, occasionally one of them gets off channel and I don't even know how to reprogram it.

Ditto.
MARRC Cornerworker @ Summit Point
Street: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Track: 2000 SV650
CCS#872

I ride motorcycles cuz Daddy never got me that pony I wanted!

fightinflames

so what do you all think of adding a small section on how the sanctioning body works? like grid officials,tech,starter, etc...  I'm heading down to VIR this weekend to work with CCS and I've worked it out to where I'll be able to move around and kind of take notes on how things work inside the organization. I think that understanding more of how they work will allow our workers to look at time estimates and things like that a Little more so you know why control was asking for it.  just a thought.

Allen

Kuala76

I know it really does sound silly, but "time estimate" training would be beneficial for me, that's for sure.  I have no concept of time when I'm out there and yet I know how important it is for those "running the show" to know what to expect.  I know that the ASDs don't like to "take over the turn" but I ALWAYS default to an ASD to help me give control my "time estimate" :). 
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Instructions on how to start Junior in the morning when you have a hangover?

Simon

Getting a bike re-started after its gone down. Some have tip over switch's that you have to reset by turning the ignition switch off for a few seconds and then turn on again. Holding the throttle wide open helps with some models etc.
Glen Ouye is THE master at restarting.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

That is one thing I learned from experience - rider & bike down and right back up, furiously trying to start.  Convince them to turn it off, give it a couple seconds - push a bit away from the track and all will be good :).  Got a round burn mark on my gloves from a certain Kawi when the rider continuously attempted to fire the bike after being layed down, all it did was throw flames from the pipe but wouldn't stay running!  Kept yelling to stop, give it a couple seconds.  When threatened with the fire extinguisher (when the flames started catching the tail piece) - the rider finally stopped, pushed the bike a few feet, took a breath, and restarted! :)
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Hmmmmm I wonder who that rider was.

Yeah that information is very handy to know.  Seemed when I was at Pocono doing the track days that many of the riders weren't aware of this little feature until I suggested doing it.  Every time the bike started right up and they were on their way.

Equipment Man

Yeah Mike, don't forget we need to learn how to take the key out also :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You still got those jumper cable. :ahhh:

TheHiriser

Taking the key out wasn't the problem, lol.  Forgetting to push the big button was.  I always carry those jumper cables in the van, along with a 5 ton jack and basically every tool you'd need to fix anything on it.  If you've ever seen the fleet of vehicles my boss owns you'd understand why I carry all that stuff.

fightinflames

Ok i got alot of feed back but i need some more, i need atleast a few more topic's to make this work. I got bike inspection,radio's,time estamate's, some about our crew, and some about the 2 groups we work for/with Wera/CCS. What i would love to hear is some from other workers from other regions, what do yall do? any imput is welcome.

Thanks,
Allen cox
Marrc cornerworker...ect.

limy_1

Keep me in the loop guys.

I haven't been out for AMA training with Egor
in a couple of years.

As some of you know I work for both AHRMA and WERA.

As of this past season I have also taken up sidecar racing.
I have raced with the SRA in Canada, Willow, Sandia and at Mid-O (VMD).

I might be able to give you some infor on each of these organizations and/or
some of my experiances. I have worked vertually everything at one time or another.

Roger Preston
AHRMA Official, Racer & Monkee
WERA Officail
Roger Preston
AHRMA Volunteer & Monkee
WERA Official

Kuala76

:cheers: those side car things are crazy  :biggrin:... I'm sure you have seen some of the threads resulting from the sidecar visit to Summit!!!  :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

limy_1

Why yes I have, both here and on the SRA site.

Judy, the monkey, was jones'en for a ride at their last
race the last weekend of September in Canada.
She was still missing about 4 hours from Summit.  :ahhh:

My first weekend up in Canada I watched the #1 rig go over on the cooldown
lap of practice  :wtf:

I now have seen 3 rigs on their roof this year and almost got left in the dust my self.

Now back to the original discussion.
Go to Canada and talk about flags  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: and  :wtf: again.
To start the race you use lights or drop the Canadian flag.
1/2 way is blue/white flag crossed with the green
1 lap to go is the blue/white
checkers are checkered, who'd of guessed?
Don't get me started on the double yellow or crimson flags.  :preachon:
Roger Preston
AHRMA Volunteer & Monkee
WERA Official

Kuala76

We had gotten word that Judy was "okay" but am very glad to hear that she was itchin' to get back out there!  As I am sure you saw, I have seen A LOT of things while working tracks, and that one REALLY shook me  :ahhh: :ahhh: 

So you are saying not to look to Candada for hints and suggestions on advanced cornerworking??  :biggrin: ::)
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

limy_1

I was not saying that.

R.A.C.E. (Racing Associates Canada Events), incorporated as RACE EVENTS INC., is a sanctioning body responsible for organizing motorcycle roadracing events in Canada.

RACE was formed in the fall of 1980 with the objective of improving the quality and stature of motorcycle roadracing. It was founded by Shannonville Motorsport Park who recognized the need for a group that specialized in promoting, organizing and aquiring sponsorship exclusively for motorcycle roadracing. After 20 years of operation, RACE is still a leader in motorcycle roadracing events organizations.

Marshals shall hold a RACE Marshal License. CASC-OR, AMA and QRFA/ASRQ
licenses are also approved.

I can say they run a tight show.
Roger Preston
AHRMA Volunteer & Monkee
WERA Official

Kuala76

OH okay!! Sorry for the misunderstanding!  So it appears they DO have some type of licensing system in place, something that has been alluded to in motorcycle racing here.  It would be interesting to find out more information on their system!  If there is a working system in place, why recreate the wheel right?   :biggrin: :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

limy_1

Here are two places to go and find information on working or racing in Canada.

Shannonville Motorsports Park
http://www.shannonville.com/

Cornerworking
Canada's first and most experienced marshalling club is looking for action-oriented people to train as volunteer corner workers at motorsport racing events. Don't limit yourself to a view from the stands, join us and be part of the action! Check us out at www.crca1.com or call 1-800-959-8955 for more information.

Roger Preston
AHRMA Volunteer & Monkee
WERA Official

Kuala76

Kumi
MARRC President 2013